Quasi-Live Westerdam Oct 1st Japan

Ferry_Watcher

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Congrats on your first "Live from..." Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! Upon return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

Ferry_Watcher was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

On our way to Japan, with about 1600 other passengers on the Westerdam.  We booked the cruise over a year ago and was lucky to select an Aft Stateroom at a very good price.  This will be a 26 day journey from Seattle to Yokohama.  A number of passengers will end their cruise at day 13 in Yokohama, and there is a very active thread of those folks who will be joining the cruise when begin cruise around Japan.

Embarkation was a breeze.  The Westerdam was the only ship at Seattle's Pier 91 that was embarking passengers.  Royal's Radiance OTS was also at Pier 91, but it was a port-of-call.  Having just returned from a NE/Canada cruise on the Zaandam a week earlier, and having been in Japan exactly one year ago, made us rethink what we truly needed, and so we decided to just pack everything in a carry-on size suitcase, along with an overnight size bag and call it good.  We also sprung for the 27 day laundry package. I found myself removing clothes that morning of the cruise to give myself more wiggle room.  ( We live close to Pier 91, so I was fortunate to have that option).

Arriving at Pier 91, we gave our two carry-on suitcases to a very disinterested Longshore, but I have no complaints as the bags did arrive at the stateroom before dinner.

Check-in was very quick, as Pier staff only had to be concerned about valid passports (no proof of vaccination, no Covid test results, no visas).  Basically it was 'car to bar's for us in less than 15 minutes. (At 12:30 pm when we checked in about 2/3 or more passengers had already been embarked).  The ship left just after 4:30 pm right on schedule.  It was a beautiful sail-away with warm weather, blue sky, and Mt Rainier out in it's full glory.

We decided on an early dinner, an as with most HAL cruises, so did everyone else.  We shared a table with one other couple and had a lovely meal.  I had the Port-to Table offering a Chicken Katsu with rice and carrots.  It was very good.  It was the same wine/cocktail list as last week 's Zaandam, so no new offerings.

The evening entertainment offerings was a presentation by the Cruise Director Nic(k) on the first 150 Years of Holland America.  There were not many folks present, which was too bad, as the presentation was quite good.  After the presentation, we returned to our stateroom and found that our one bed was split into two beds during the evening turndown (and the next day was our anniversary LOL).  To make up for that was a lovely flower arrangement - a gift from our DD & SIL.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

First full day of the cruise we headed to breakfast (8-9:30 am) at about 8:30 am.  There was already a good size line of hungry passengers.  This was so different than our Zaandam cruise, where it seemed that most folks either skipped breakfast or ate in the Lido.  

At breakfast my husband pointed out the daily menu specials one of which was Tempura Chicken & Waffle with Shishito pepper and spiced Maple syrup.  How could I pass that up?  Honestly, it had me at Shishito pepper.  It was good.  I have only had two dining room meals so far, but based on that small sample, I am thinking that the Westerdam's food is better than the Zaandam, but it is still early.  This evening is the first Gala Night, so we will see.

At 11am, there was a gathering of Cruise Critic folks at the Ocean Bar.  There were name tags and sign up sheets.  I was privileged to meet some of the lovely folks from the Roll Call thread.  The ship provided signage for a private event, water and some danish.

Lunch was in the Lido, and it was tough to find a table.  We stayed with Asian themed foods (we are from the Seattle area, after all).

;  )

As I mentioned earlier, the first Gala is tonight, so I can update on that later.

I am hoping that other CCer's who are on this cruise will join in on this discussion - the more the merrier.

• Like 8

I do have to mention today's weather - spectacular!  I spent a good part of today on my aft balcony.(and will be returning to my chair after posting this weather update).  This morning I had a windbreaker on, and a HAL fleece balcony blanket covering my legs.  After lunch, no windbreaker or blanket was needed, and in fact, I had to switch from sitting in the sun to the chair in the shade.  It was just so comfortable and lovely.

• Like 4

Reason nobody was at the 150 years of Holland is they have been doing it on every ship in the fleet every week  ever since sailings resumed.

They need to figure out something else the first day of a cruise

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Just before dinner we found the toilet wasn't flushing.  Decided to dress in our Gala attire before calling it in.  When reported, we were told it wasn't just our room, but it was a tank problem (most likely a pump or a valve).  About 20 minutes later we heard the toilet flush - and hopefully all continues to be well once we return to to the room.

We decided to do dinner early, arriving by 5:15.  This was so to both of us having miserable colds.  Luckily, I am nearly over my cold, but my spouse is a couple days behind me. We did test for Covid a few times between the end of our Zaandam cruise and embarking on the Westerdam - all test results were negative. Even arriving at the main dining room just after 5:15, there was a long line, and when we reached the host desk (at about 5:40pm) etc, and asked for a table for two (it was our actual anniversary day), and didn't really want to share a table while we ( or at least my husband wasn't feeling 100%),  we given a pager and they were ready for us about 30 minutes later.  We hung out at the Pinnacle Bar waiting for our table.  It was pleasant and relaxing.

Gala dinner for us included sliced duck for the first course; we both got the rack of lamb as our entree, and ended with a cheese plate (me), and a fruit plate for my spouse.

After dinner, we went to the Gallery Bar (and my new favorite cocktail is the Ritz Cocktail) and watched a great game by our Seahawks!

• Like 8

Thanks for posting, we are on Westerdam round Japan in March so interested to read your journal. 

We are jealous of your aft cabin, we love that location but on our cruise we have OV. Not sure there will be much sitting out in March, but we can use the open decks then. 

Will there be any guest speakers on board as you cruise to Japan? Enjoy yourselves and hope 2 beds have become 1!

• Like 1

Thanks for the posts! We sailed on the Westerdam's second-to-last Alaska trip of the year two weeks ago. Had drainage issues on the first night of that sailing as well (toilet was OK, but shower and sink were super slow) - noticed a worker with a large coiled-up hose in the area, and it was better after that sighting, we guessed that the dated fixtures in the bathroom carried forth into the plumbing, and that it's something they just have to stay on top of.

Hope the seas are better for you than they were for us (first night off the west coast of Vancouver Island, I'm pretty sure nobody got much sleep on our cruise).

I'm looking forward to hearing reports from your Japanese ports! I'll be there in February on the Zuiderdam and next September/October on the Westerdam. I've been twice before but it is always good to hear the perspective and ideas of others. Enjoy the cruise! (and I'm on Zaandam now -- I must have gotten on as you got off.)

• Like 2

While walking back to our stateroom last night, we heard the music from the Rolling Stone Lounge.  The band was on its first set which featured R&B Favorites.  We stopped in and later my DH seemed it better that the Celebrity band/venue on the Solstice.  It was the first time we were on a HAL ship that had the Rolling Stone Lounge.  I have to admit that it was very good.  The other two sets the band would be preforming were Days of Disco (9:30); and Classic Rock (10:30).

We probably should have stayed and listened to the band other two sets, as once we returned to our stateroom, we heard very loud sounds, like banging.  At first we thought deck chairs?, but we are on deck 6 aft, so that didn't make sense.  We walked out on our balcony and it seemed to come from below us.  The banging just continued, and being in an Aft stateroom it was very loud, and after a couple of hours of noise we finally fell asleep.  This morning we asked out room attendants about it and they said it was the waves crashing against the back of the ship.  There was high seas and we were in open water around that time. It makes me wonder what the sailing will be like when we leave Alaska tonight and begin our passage to Japan in earnest.

• Like 5

We were on deck 5 corner aft 2 weeks ago and can tell you it is some very loud noises when the Captain cranks the speed up. It was not the waives. Seas were calm for us. As a matter of fact when the seas were a bit rough and his speed was much less the noise did not occur.. We had the loud banging noises the first 2 nights and heading back the night we left Ketchikan.

Aft on the Vista Class ships have always had noises, we are rather accustomed to it having sailed back there many times but it was much louder than ever before. It did not keep us from sleeping so I guess that was a plus.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

While walking back to our stateroom last night, we heard the music from the Rolling Stone Lounge.  The band was on its first set which featured R&B Favorites.  We stopped in and later my DH seemed it better that the Celebrity band/venue on the Solstice.  It was the first time we were on a HAL ship that had the Rolling Stone Lounge.  I have to admit that it was very good. 

It sounds like the same band that was onboard a couple of weeks ago - they were great musicians, but at the time it seemed like they were just learning the songs. They've probably had enough time to get a lot tighter since then.

1 hour ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

We probably should have stayed and listened to the band other two sets, as once we returned to our stateroom, we heard very loud sounds, like banging.  At first we thought deck chairs?, but we are on deck 6 aft, so that didn't make sense.  We walked out on our balcony and it seemed to come from below us.  The banging just continued, and being in an Aft stateroom it was very loud, and after a couple of hours of noise we finally fell asleep.  This morning we asked out room attendants about it and they said it was the waves crashing against the back of the ship.  There was high seas and we were in open water around that time. It makes me wonder what the sailing will be like when we leave Alaska tonight and begin our passage to Japan in earnest.

While not aft (kind of midship), on the first night of our cruise there were regular "whomps" that seemed like big waves hitting the ship. Pretty much everything else that could creak or bump creaked and bumped (we were on deck 4 with the "lifeboat view" which didn't help matters). We were really tossing, but that didn't keep me awake - it was all the noise.

• Like 1

Yesterday (Tuesday) was our one port-of-call in Alaska - Juneau.  Our morning started out with breakfast in the dining room.  We finally figured out on our Zaandam NE/Canada cruise that if one is agreeable to sharing a table, then the likelihood of being seated by a window increases dramatically.  We were seated at a window table with two lovely couples.  They both commented on how nice folks usually are on cruises.  I believe that they both tend to favor HAL cruises. 

It was notable how cold it was in the dining room.  Usually the common areas of the ship are quite comfortable, but yesterday all the venues were surprisingly cold - so much so that passengers were wearing coats at dinner.  My husband actually left the jazz performance to go back to the room to get a sweater - it was that chilly.

• Like 2

Before arriving at our port-of-call 1pm in Juneau, we had two different presentations to prepare us for Alaska and our final destination of Japan.  At 10 am there was an interactive talk entitled “Ancestral Memories” by Cruise Director Nick and video featuring Native Alaskan scholars and native speakers.  It traced the arrival of the first people in what is now Alaska (possibly by a land bridge), the first arrival of Westerners/Russians, the sale of the Alaskan territory to the US, the  efforts of missionaries and the US government to force the Native Alaskans to give up their languages, customs, religious beliefs, etc and adopt a western lifestyle.  Sadly, it did not end well for the Native Alaskans.  However, there was an effort in the mid 20th century to save the language and customs.  The second half of the presentation featured how many individuals in the communities are now actively learning, teaching and sharing their language, dances, customs, not only locally, regionally, but internationally.  Their success in preserving their culture enriches all of us.

The next presentation also held in the World Stage featured our cruise guest speaker Dr PW Kam.  I believe that Dr Kam will be giving a talk on Japanese culture each day until we arrive in Japan.  Tuesday’s talk was on Religions in Japan.  Basically, 80% of the people practice Shinto; 80% practice Buddhism; and 1.5% practice Christianity.  The best way I can explain this was what our British ex-pat tour guide told us last year when we visited Japan: “ the Japanese are born Shinto; they marry Christian (I, e. Western style weddings); and they die Buddhists”.  
Dr Kam quickly covered Christianity in Japan, then Buddhism which is mostly ceremonies like funerals, but most of the time it is the Shinto ways and beliefs that  the Japanese follow.  He discussed the shrines, what to expect as a visitor (bowing before entering the Tori’s gates, as well when leaving; the various kami spirits; purifying your hands and lips with the ladles at the wells;  clapping to catch the attention of the spirits (kami), etc.  There was lots of information and I was grateful that I had been to Japan last year so I had a better understanding about what he was discussing.

• Like 4

Juneau - weather was overcast, but there were sun breaks, but more importantly there was no rain.  When we arrive the Koningsdam was already at the dock. We docked around 12:30pm, and the NCL Encore arrive after 1pm docking at the fuel terminal  - J dock?  When we saw the Encore sailing in, we quickly finished our lunch to get into Juneau before those folks arrive.  We had been in Juneau last May on Celebrity Solstice, early enough in the season that we could just show up and take the Blue Bus to Mendenhall Glacier.  So we really didn’t need or want to do any tourist things.  We did stop by the native SEALASKA Center that had been featured on the video used in the Ancestral Memories presentation earlier that morning.  Across the street from the center was a Native Alaskan gift shop and museum gallery.  I treated myself to a wrap as the common areas of the ship have been cold.  The gallery was showing works by Native Women artists.

After the gallery and gift shop we headed over to Juneau Drug to grab some things we found we needed or wanted.  We then wandered up to Devil’s Club Brewery.  It is owned by our SIL’s brother’s college roommate (LOL).  It’s a pretty good brewery, and it’s just far enough away from the crowds to be enjoyable.  We have never met the owner, but the beer is good.  They do offer sandwiches as well.

At about 4:15 we decided to head back to the ship, even skipping the fudge store!  We walked along the boardwalk and decided to sit in the sun and enjoy being on the ground before boarding the ship.  It was just nice sitting there and taking it all in.  We did notice that the seaplanes may have ended for the season, as it was very quiet at the Hanger.  There was still a line at Tracy’s Crab Shack, and the line for the tram up Mt Robert’s was crazy long.  Once back on board, we hung out on our balcony until the sun set behind the mountain across the bay.

Dinner was fine, and the dining was still cold, so I was happy to have my new wrap.  We ended the evening listening to jazz in the Ocean Bar.  The band, Third Avenue West (which my husband says sounds like an address in the Queen Anne neighborhood in Seattle), was very good.  I think we were already asleep when the Westerdam sailed away at about 11 pm (all aboard was 10:30).

• Like 7

Who is on board this cruise?  We have a wide range of folks from at least one toddler to the usual older HAL clientele.  It’s interesting, on my Zaandam NE/Canada cruise mid September of this year, there was not a single kid.  This cruise, in addition to the toddler, has elementary age kids, at least a few middle schoolers, although I am not sure about any high school age young people.

There are a fair number of international passengers, mostly Asian.  This would be a perfect way to cross the Pacific after visiting the US and/or Canada, or perhaps going to Japan to visit family/friends before flying back to North America.  I have also heard a few UK/European accents.

The adults on the ship seem to be in the 40-80 year old range with most in the 65-75 range.  Some electric scooters, but not too many.

Everyone has been friendly and pleasant.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Who is on board this cruise?  We have a wide range of folks from at least one toddler to the usual older HAL clientele.  It’s interesting, on my Zaandam NE/Canada cruise mid September of this year, there was not a single kid.  This cruise, in addition to the toddler, has elementary age kids, at least a few middle schoolers, although I am not sure about any high school age young people.

There are a fair number of international passengers, mostly Asian.  This would be a perfect way to cross the Pacific after visiting the US and/or Canada, or perhaps going to Japan to visit family/friends before flying back to North America.  I have also heard a few UK/European accents.

The adults on the ship seem to be in the 40-80 year old range with most in the 65-75 range.  Some electric scooters, but not too many.

Everyone has been friendly and pleasant.

We had about 10 toddler-to-elementary kids on our sailing.

How did I count them? They were all in the hot tubs. 

• Haha 6

Wednesday, our featured speaker, Dr Kam's lecture was on Japanese History (part 1).  He covered the very early history, with the rise of the shoguns, the earliest emperors; how a Japanese leader observed that the Chinese were successful because they had a centralized government and copied that; that the Japanese allowed some interactions with European traders, then pulled back and closed the county to outsiders for 200 years; the capital of Japan was moved from Kyoto to Tokyo (Edo); and we ended that History of Japan part 1 lecture with US Commodore Matthew Perry sailing in to Japan and somehow convincing the Japanese to open up for trading, etc.  The next lecture should pick up Japanese History from about 1868.

Dr Kam's presentation had gone overtime on Tuesday, and his wife would signal him to go faster, or to wrap it up.  At Wednesday' s lecture he apologized for going overtime as there was a movie scheduled to start at noon.  His lectures have been quite popular, and if someone decides last minute to attend, there may not be a seat for them.

• Like 5

We did decide to have lunch at the buffet, and fortunately we went late at 1:30pm, as I don't think we would have found a table - even to share.  By the time we decided what to eat, stand in line and circle the table section to find a seat, it must have been about 1:45.  There must have been various presentations scheduled for 2pm as folks began to leave and tables opened up.  The downside is most of the buffet stations also close at 2pm, so if you want a hot entree meal, you were out of luck.  The usual standbys were still serving, pizza, salads, desserts, etc.

For those of us remaining on the cruise after the transpacific journey and cruising around Japan, we received a letter assigning us a day and time to bring out passports down to the Explorer's Lounge so the ship could photocopy it.  I believe the letter mentioned our port-of-call in Korea, and it was to make sure the manifest was accurate.  Each deck was assigned a day (one of two days), and a specific 60 minute window.  There was no line, and instead of going back to the room, we walked to the Pinnacle Bar and enjoyed a Beeknees and a Brooklyn (old fashion). I decided that the Pinnacle Bar is the place I want to go to enjoy a cocktail.

• Like 3

The speciality coffee is only at the Crow's Nest, and it's been very good.  We were spoiled on the Zaandam because on that ship it was located in a more centralized and convenient area of the ship.  A last minute decision on my part was to leave my Miir insulated mug at home to save space in my smaller suitcase.  Big mistake.  Our stateroom is at the aft, the Crow's Nest is at the bow, and it's not easy trying to navigate around folks as we walk back to our room.  Not a big deal, but it's a personal reminder to me to always have room for that mug!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

The speciality coffee is only at the Crow's Nest, and it's been very good.  We were spoiled on the Zaandam because on that ship it was located in a more centralized and convenient area of the ship.  A last minute decision on my part was to leave my Miir insulated mug at home to save space in my smaller suitcase.  Big mistake.  Our stateroom is at the aft, the Crow's Nest is at the bow, and it's not easy trying to navigate around folks as we walk back to our room.  Not a big deal, but it's a personal reminder to me to always have room for that mug!

Selfishly, as a completely ambulatory person who likes to walk a lot on ships, I was happy that the coffee was in the most out-of-the-way place it could be, as it kept the lines down. (I have recurring nightmares about Princess’ International Cafe lines.)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Dr Kam's presentation had gone overtime on Tuesday, and his wife would signal him to go faster, or to wrap it up.  At Wednesday' s lecture he apologized for going overtime as there was a movie scheduled to start at noon.  His lectures have been quite popular, and if someone decides last minute to attend, there may not be a seat for them.

I'm very happy to read that Dr Kam is lecturing. He was our lecturer on the Maasdam in 2019 and his wife's waving from the back was always a feature of the lecture. 

Is he teaching Tai Chi also? I enjoyed that.

• Like 2

Thank you for your review and tips (bring your insulated coffee mug!!).  Will follow along as going from Vancouver BC to Japan and around the island in 2024.  Any post hotel stays or tour options available on Holland America on your cruise?  Wondering if I should plan on my own.  My only disappointment on the Noordam is the lack of the Gallery Bar... will miss that.  

Thank you for taking the time to share information!  Happy cruising and hope for smooth seas.  Enjoy!!

• Thanks 1