Another $99 deposit sale

BermudaBound2014

I tried to book a cruise yesterday that specifically stated $99 deposit. But when it was time to pay the $99 deposit, it said my minimum deposit was $600.  I put the cruise on hold and am now dreading the fact that I have to call to find out what is going on. Not looking forward to having to deal if the atrocious call center people.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Reagan0712 said:

I tried to book a cruise yesterday that specifically stated $99 deposit. But when it was time to pay the $99 deposit, it said my minimum deposit was $600.  I put the cruise on hold and am now dreading the fact that I have to call to find out what is going on. Not looking forward to having to deal if the atrocious call center people.

Send me an email at mattandnay@yahoo.com and I will put you in touch with someone that may be able to help you.

Hi, 

I booked a cruise two days ago as part of the $99 deposit sale. This is a cruise on the Volendam to Canada/New England in May 2024. My booking includes a lot of items (upgraded beverage package, upgraded internet, $100 shore excursion credit, one specialty restaurant meal, and gratuities). I think I received a good deal. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, 510picker said:

Send me an email at mattandnay@yahoo.com and I will put you in touch with someone that may be able to help you.

Thanks. Against my better judgement I called and, of course, got a rep in the call center. As soon as she said she had to put me on hold to speak with a supervisor I told her to just put the supervisor on the phone. Turns out I ended up with a Mariner Discount price which is $200 lower than the $99 deposit price, but I then had to give a $600 deposit.

11 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

So, how will this change HAL's fortunes?

I suppose it shows more cabins booked, a good fiscal sign, and with less cabins available they won't need to drop prices as much, or as often, or if at all.

It all comes home to roost when the cancellations start rolling in. Roll of the dice.

Personally I dislike this kind of "sale" unless the deposit is nonrefundable.  It just encourages some people to book several cruises when their intent is to just go on one, at the cost of temporarily tieing up a few hundred dollars.  Thus taking those cabins out of inventory for people who might want to book for real.