Ski goggles

Emzyyx

I have spent hours and hours researching ski goggles, and I now feel like I have done so much reading that I'm overthinking it. I am prone to teary eyes when it is windy in the UK, so definitely want to get goggles instead of sunglasses. I also didn't want to spend tooo much on them if I could avoid it.

I have found some on Amazon that provide 47%VLT and 100% UV protection (although are not polarised). 

I feel quite torn as I of course want to protect my eyes, but I also don't want the goggles to ruin the incredible experience (especially with the different colours of goggles so have gone for black ones). I am concerned going darker will mean I won't be able to take in the striking beauty as much, but am just as worried having the goggles too light will make me uncomfortable and could damage my eyes.

Will 47% be okay? 

Here is the link to them: https://amzn.eu/d/59wxMBm

Hi Emzyyx,

I'll qualify my answer as someone who works in the medical field AND is also a professional photographer/videographer. The absolute need for eye protection in your case is going to be driven largely by the weather, and that can be unpredictable! Obviously, traveling in open boats at speed there would be a benefit for you regardless. I think the important thing is optical clarity and "tinting". The best would be ones that are neutral in their light suppression - these are usually gray or sometimes referred to as "black" as opposed to ones with color tinting which will mess with the natural nuances of the scene. The 47% VLT is fine... so long as it achieves this without coloration. The human eye will adjust it's acuity to compensate and while 47% may not seem like a lot, in the photo world it would be considered almost "1 stop" reduction in intensity, but it is a significant reduction. The need for polarization will be one of taste. Polarizers can cut a lot of glare (and by the way most polarizing optics just by their nature will cut light transmission by about half all on their own) but, then again, the brilliance of the scattered light is also part of experiencing that environment (assuming it's sunny.... seems like cloudy may be more the norm)! If you are already wearing glasses do you have a pair of self-tinting ones or outdoor ones that are already polarized you could wear under the goggles? If so, no need for that feature on the goggles. Indeed, the use of 2 polarizing optics can effectively drop light transmission to 0 under certain conditions! Personally, I don't like polarized glasses. I'll use them if there is a technical need, but my preference is to see the scene "as is"; as the eye would truly see it - and polarizers do lend an "artificiality" to the scene that is not always to my taste. The pair you linked to seem inexpensive, neutral in color, and can be worn over your existing glasses (be they automatic darkening, polarized, or wherever). I say go for it because you simply will NOT be able to procure any once underway. Ideally, get them well before departure and try them out at home to see if you find them an acceptable solution. Is there a used ski or sporting goods exchange store in your area? That may be a good option for trying on various ones with little hassle and perhaps a bit of cost savings and an option to sell them on after the trip if you don't need to keep them.

27 minutes ago, Michael_A said:

Hi Emzyyx,

I'll qualify my answer as someone who works in the medical field AND is also a professional photographer/videographer. The absolute need for eye protection in your case is going to be driven largely by the weather, and that can be unpredictable! Obviously, traveling in open boats at speed there would be a benefit for you regardless. I think the important thing is optical clarity and "tinting". The best would be ones that are neutral in their light suppression - these are usually gray or sometimes referred to as "black" as opposed to ones with color tinting which will mess with the natural nuances of the scene. The 47% VLT is fine... so long as it achieves this without coloration. The human eye will adjust it's acuity to compensate and while 47% may not seem like a lot, in the photo world it would be considered almost "1 stop" reduction in intensity, but it is a significant reduction. The need for polarization will be one of taste. Polarizers can cut a lot of glare (and by the way most polarizing optics just by their nature will cut light transmission by about half all on their own) but, then again, the brilliance of the scattered light is also part of experiencing that environment (assuming it's sunny.... seems like cloudy may be more the norm)! If you are already wearing glasses do you have a pair of self-tinting ones or outdoor ones that are already polarized you could wear under the goggles? If so, no need for that feature on the goggles. Indeed, the use of 2 polarizing optics can effectively drop light transmission to 0 under certain conditions! Personally, I don't like polarized glasses. I'll use them if there is a technical need, but my preference is to see the scene "as is"; as the eye would truly see it - and polarizers do lend an "artificiality" to the scene that is not always to my taste. The pair you linked to seem inexpensive, neutral in color, and can be worn over your existing glasses (be they automatic darkening, polarized, or wherever). I say go for it because you simply will NOT be able to procure any once underway. Ideally, get them well before departure and try them out at home to see if you find them an acceptable solution. Is there a used ski or sporting goods exchange store in your area? That may be a good option for trying on various ones with little hassle and perhaps a bit of cost savings and an option to sell them on after the trip if you don't need to keep them.

Thank you so much for your comprehensive reply! I am very grateful for your reassurance and thorough explanation. I feel much more reassured to get these goggles now. Like you said, I want to make sure that I do not want to take away any of the natural beauty and serenity of the landscape by opting for goggles too dark or with a coloured tint. I was worried that 47% may let too much light in considering how bright it will be there, and was concerned about hurting/straining my eyes. I think I will get them and try them out at home and perhaps see how I can replicate some of the lighting. Thank you again!

Just remember, there is what the eye SEES (and how much), and what the BRAIN processes! Even though only about half the light will make it through the goggles, the brain will still register the bright bits as "bright" and the darker bits as "dark" and process the scene accordingly on an unconscious level. In simple terms, when you first put them on the difference will SEEM dramatic, but after about 4 minutes the brain begins to compensate and "even out the scene" so to speak - and you get used to it! BUT only a bit more than half the light is getting through and that's the important thing in your case. After wearing them for a while you may wonder if they are "working" at all... that's your brain reprocessing the scene (but your eyes should be more relaxed if you are light sensitive). As soon as you take them off, then BAM, yeah - they were working!

The reality is goggles in this setting is more about weather than light. If there is any sort precipitation as you zip across the water in a zodiac you will appreciate the googles. It can be cloudy as often as sunny. Knowing I was not coming home and taking up skiing, I picked up pair of basic clear lenses goggles with venting to avoid foggy.  Did not wear them often, but was glad we had them. Found a pair that allowed room for my glasses. On sunny days, just used my regular sunglasses.  

Rule one, be flexible and accepting the changes that come, as they will.

I had plenty of pictures, but they can only help me remember the massive scope of the setting. What I did not expect was looking out the cabin window at icebergs bigger than the ship. 

Both significant other and I wear bi focal glasses.  We decided on Googles over sunglasses for two reasons, first to fit over our glasses, and second was to ensure our glasses did not slip off and get lost in the cold Antarctia water.  We bought one to test, then the second, both from Amazon.  Looking forward to our experience with Atlas in January.

Edited by GICNJC
grammar correction

• 1 month later...