MSC Behind the Scenes

mikeblahblah

Hello All

Read the boards for years but finally registered as I need to ask a question.

Is there a way to ensure we can book a "behind the scenes" tour before we pay for the cruise? Reason I ask is my 6 year old is mad about ships etc and I'd quite like also to see more than the customer facing areas of the ship too. So if we paid for the cruise and then were told "sorry no availability" it would have quite an impact on the whole experience for us. We'd be travelling from Southampton on MSC Euribia if that makes any difference.

Edit: I meant to say can we book that excursion at the same time that we book the cruise.

Edited by mikeblahblah

I've only ever seen the "Behind the Scenes " tour available to book once onboard. The tour does usually run more than once on a sailing, depending on how long you're cruising for obviously. I'd certainly advise asking to book as soon as you're on the ship as they can be popular. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mikeblahblah said:

Hello All

Read the boards for years but finally registered as I need to ask a question.

Is there a way to ensure we can book a "behind the scenes" tour before we pay for the cruise? Reason I ask is my 6 year old is mad about ships etc and I'd quite like also to see more than the customer facing areas of the ship too. So if we paid for the cruise and then were told "sorry no availability" it would have quite an impact on the whole experience for us. We'd be travelling from Southampton on MSC Euribia if that makes any difference.

Edit: I meant to say can we book that excursion at the same time that we book the cruise.

MARSEC policy changes over the past decade have seen far less access to “behind the scenes” experiences - particularly when it comes to MAROPS areas like the Bridge and Engineering. And neither of those areas are really appropriate for small children.

As an alternative, why not cruise from/to a port with docent tours of retired ships (e.g., the Midway aircraft carrier in San Diego).

13 hours ago, mikeblahblah said:

Reason I ask is my 6 year old is mad about ships etc and I'd quite like also to see more than the customer facing areas of the ship too. So if we paid for the cruise and then were told "sorry no availability" it would have quite an impact on the whole experience for us. We'd be travelling from Southampton on MSC Euribia if that makes any difference.

Can only book on board. Minimum age is 6, so you are fine, your kid will love it. As you board in Southampton, you should be save to clinch a place. 

• Like 1

I'm on the Meraviglia right now sailing from Brooklyn NY (Canada and New England cruise). The Destination Guide given to us on the first day (October 4) mentioned the Behind the Scenes tour; however, there was no information offered other than saying it will happen on a port day, it's a three-hour tour, and the cost is $80 per adult and $46 per child. Today's daily planner lists it under the Portland, Maine excursions with no other information on the timing. I asked the concierge (we're in the Yacht Club) and he said it will happen at our Portland, Maine stop (October 13) and it will be at 4 pm. So now I have to decide if I want to cancel the excursion we already booked for this port, which means losing my money since it's a private excursion with a 7-day cancellation policy; go on the excurison and don't book the ship tour; or go to the excursion and just hope it doesn't run late so we can do both the excursion and the ship tour. I'm inclined to do the third option since the pier is only a 15 minute walk and our excursion should be done by 3 pm if there are no issues. 

Edited by CTGirl74

Just go to the Shore-X or Concierge when you board and make a reservation. Don't wait for the advertisement. 

For us Bridge tour is done on a Port Day and stage/gallery etc was a sea day. They limit it to two groups for 20. We did the engine control room (first ECR I've ever been that was above the water line they even had two portholes. How can an engineer stand the sun?) and passed the other group doing the Bridge first as we walked forward in the hallway to the forward elevators. 

There was a picture with the Captian on the bridge but when we went to the picture place they knew nothing about it and Shore-X just said we had to pick it up from the photo people. Never got it.