Bought a formal gown at Goodwill for the cruise

A couple years ago before school started i gave each girl(i have three now ages 16,15,9) the money for one full out fit at the mall then the same amount of money for goodwill. Now the ask to go to goodwill. and love to find neat stuff.

The only time we ever shop at Goodwill is when we used to go there to conjur up Halloween costumes for the kids. Ya'll have to admit, there is some pretty weird stuff on the racks!

But, I have seen some pretty clothes in there, it's the hunt I just don't care to go through. Our local Goodwill has an odor and I can only tolerate it for a few minutes. I've purchased brand new clothing at department store coupon sales for under $30.

My son will be needing a new suit (or sportscoat) this year, he's hard to fit because he's tall and pretty big. But, I'm a bargain shopper, I got his last complete outfit for around $100 (sportscoat and slacks, bought separately). I think I may be able to just buy him the new sportscoat, his pants still fit (I think!).

My only comment to the OP would be to ask your husband to dress to compliment you. I agree, he should be comfortable in what he is wearing, but your formal shots might look a bit odd if you're in an evening gown and he's in a Hawaiian shirt. If this truly doesn't bother you, then it's no ones business but your own.

I do this all the time (thriftstores). I can't get formal pictures in the same dress over and over. We have a fun little store call Act 2 that is a resale store for womens cloths. I have bought them there also. When I'm done I donate them back to the Goodwill for someone else to have.

We women should get together and start trading. What a thought :)

I agree completely, check out this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=296053

My husband bought a tux on sale that he wears on cruises and to black tie events I attend for my work.

I think that every adult male needs one dark suit for weddings and funerals, so wearing that same one on a cruise would be no big deal.

James Bond always gets lucky in a tux--maybe if husbands got lucky, too they'd want to wear one!

You lost 150 lbs? Way to go! Congratulations! Most of the things at my Goodwill are 5-10.00. They do carry nice things. I see Tommy Bahama and 100.00 shoes for about 20.00. Most of the good stuff is new or worn once. My dh probably won't wear a blazer from Goodwill to be honest. He might borrow one or buy one but he tends to be snobby about his clothes and may overspend at Nordstroms or someplace like that while I wear a 10.00 used dress from Goodwill. I told him no way.

i have recently lost 150 lbs and i am the goodwill queen.....lol there is nothing wrong with the clothes at the goodwill....many times i get complimented on the clothes i have on and i think to myself, "geees, i paid 1.00 for this outfit on .50 day at the goodwill". lol

keep checking your local goodwill's and thrift stores...they have really fine sport coats sometimes and noone will know different....and even if they would, who cares. your hubby will probably be the best dressed there....all for $5.10...so who gets the bigger laugh on that one!

good luck and good goodwillin'!

:rolleyes:

OK I have to add my 2 cents worth. My husband does not dress up but he does have lots of snazzy Hawaiian/Tommy shirts. So we went to the Habitat Thrift Store. He found the first sport coat, liked it so much went back and found another.

But he never found a dress shirt. Now please don't make fun...but he wore dark slacks, dressy Hawaiian shirt with a tie. He looked so good. :D The outfit just somehow just came together just right. He was not out of place at all. He now has me shopping there. The only time he would wear a sport coat would be on a cruise, why spend so much money on a suit?

This is also why we choose Carnival rather than fancier cruise lines...we just don't like fancy.

My 3 cents...

Gotta love the thrift stores! :cool: Especially when I was losing weight and changing sizes every 4-6 weeks. I just went shopping for cruisewear and bought 2 sleeveless formal dresses for $15.– a light black knit with silver thread throughout, and a satiny dark blue with black flower print (very subdued); and 2 cocktail dresses for $20. – black halter knit with gold beads & sequins around the neckline, and a dark blue with decorative stitching and matching sequins on the bodice. Along with 2 summer dresses and a pair of shorts, I only blew $60. Lots of money left for shoes! DH bought himself a new suit so I figure I should spend at least as much as he spent, on clothes for me :D

I’m keeping my eyes open for a tux for him while I'm in search of further bargains. He's fine with me buying him stuff there, just doesn't have the patience to shop there himself. :)

Viv

• 1 year later...
My husband bought a tux on sale that he wears on cruises and to black tie events I attend for my work. James Bond always gets lucky in a tux--maybe if husbands got lucky, too they'd want to wear one!

Several years ago, I bought a tux(new) at a rental store. Best purchase I have ever made. As my wife says....."In a tux.........you're in luck!"

And speaking of Goodwill........... the wife went to a couple of Goodwill stores yesterday, and found an AWESOME looking formal for $4.59. Sure beats the heck out of mall prices.........

• 4 years later...
Can you please tell me how to turn them off? thanks!

Hi, click on "User CP" (that is the control panel) and you will find

it on there....where you can add things to your signature, turn things

off, see others, not view others, etc.

Wow, this thread is old. Almost 6 years since the OP posted it, I didn't think threads were still around from back then :p

People are still finding bargains at Goodwill :) I haven't shopped for a Halloween costume in years, so I haven't been there. I have donated a few more bags full of old clothes over the years, though. I do hope other people find them useful.

Two years ago we renewed our vows on a ship and 5 of our grandsons were on the cruise with us. We bought each of them a suit at Goodwill knowing that they probably would never wear them again since they were growing so fast. It was great getting them for $1.50 each, especially when 2 of them didn't fit and we had to get bigger sizes. In fact it cost more to mail them to the boys then what the suits cost.

When it comes to Goodwill you can't beat their prices. I love them.

My dh probably won't wear a blazer from Goodwill to be honest. He might borrow one or buy one but he tends to be snobby about his clothes and may overspend at Nordstroms or someplace like that while I wear a 10.00 used dress from Goodwill. I told him no way.

:rolleyes:

My DH is the opposite....he won't pay retail prices for quality stuff... he'll only buy it from Goodwill.

Our local Goodwill has fantastic designer brands...all so cheap... some new, with labels still on.

He bought his tuxedo, which fits him like a glove, and is fantastic quality... for $11.00 at Goodwill!!:)

Archived