San Francisco - luggage hero

nasa1974

Are you a member of any hotel chain frequent guest program?

I traveled a lot during my days as a consultant.  Many times, I would go into a hotel where I was a club member and just ask the concierge staff to hold my bag. Give the guy a few bucks and then come back later and retrieve it. 

I've done this with hotels where I just needed a quiet place to log on to work and transfer some files. I just go to the desk, show them my card and then ask to use the Wi-Fi for an hour or so.  Again, give the desk person a few bucks.  Hilton family of hotels has never turned me down.

Never had any issues with the above, but YMMV.  Remember that most of the concierge folks work for tips.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

You don't have to be a club member for them to hold your bags prior to your room being ready.

That is true, but I want to walk around the port area after I get off the ship before heading to my hotel near the airport. I can't check in much before 4pm and I'm off the ship around 10am. I figured I would rather spend some time in the port are vs. doing nothing at the hotel waiting for my room and then not doing much. 

10 minutes ago, nasa1974 said:

That is true, but I want to walk around the port area after I get off the ship before heading to my hotel near the airport. I can't check in much before 4pm and I'm off the ship around 10am. I figured I would rather spend some time in the port are vs. doing nothing at the hotel waiting for my room and then not doing much. 

If you do a search here, you should find there is a luggage storage at Pier 39, near the cruise terminal. 

On 10/12/2023 at 8:10 PM, CruiserBruce said:

If you do a search here, you should find there is a luggage storage at Pier 39, near the cruise terminal. 

Pier 39 no longer has luggage storage available.

I do what fsufan does, even when I am not checking into the hotel. I've never had any of the hotel chains I belong to say no.

On 10/12/2023 at 3:26 PM, CruiserBruce said:

You don't have to be a club member for them to hold your bags prior to your room being ready.

I think they were looking to store them near the pier or downtown, then retrieve the bags and head to a hotel near the airport. It had nothing to do with waiting for the room to be ready. 

You probably don't need to be a member of the hotel guest program, but it doesn't hurt, and they are usually free to join.