Head coverings required at Istanbul religious sites?

We will be in Istanbul for 2 days pre cruise in a coupe weeks and plan on taking 2 private walking tours that will take us to the major sites, including a few religious sites. I know head coverings are required. Is this for both men and women? Would a regular wide brimmed hat be considered adequate for women? Or a light sweatshirt with an attached hood pulled up over the head? Or should I plan to bring a large scarf that would completely cover my whole head? And what about men? I appreciate any information. 

Men do not need to cover their heads.

Women should cover their hair completely. I’m not sure that a hat or hoodie would pass muster (especially the former). 

They usually have scarves for loan if needed but personally I’d not want to put a scarf on that possibly was used by others.

A scarf takes about zero room in a bag or purse. Just plan to bring one.

• Thanks 2

When travelling in Muslim countries, I always wear a light silk scarf around my neck. If I look around and see that other women have their hair covered, I can pull it up and do the same. If that turns out not to be necessary, I can still flatter myself that I look like a stylish traveller 😊

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Women will need a scarf for the mosques. Hats aren’t enough. However, our guide did say that it was symbolic and you don’t need to worry about covering your hair completely. Knees and shoulders should also be covered. 

Although, the men’s dress code is far more relaxed, our guide was bothered by one man whose shorts were above his knees and suggested he pull them down a bit and untuck his t-shirt to cover up the low-slungness. 

Men and women will need to take their shoes off in the mosques, so I’d advise you to wear socks. The rule is to take your shoes off before you step on the carpet.