How to get from San Francisco ferry building to port 35 if you can't walk

Napagirl

I've cruised out of SF many times but never had this come up! We normally take the ferry from Vallejo to SF and walk to the pier which is about one mile. We are traveling with a friend who is unable to make that walk, but without going into the reasons, still wants to take the ferry over. I'm wondering if anyone here has found that an Uber/Lyft is willing to pick you up to drive one mile. I thought of the pedicabs but the issue is luggage. 

Edited by Napagirl

• Napagirl changed the title to How to get from San Francisco ferry building to port 35 if you can't walk
7 hours ago, julia said:

@Napagirl  Recently was quoted $35 for a pedicab from Ferry Bldg to Pier 35... pretty steep! Taxi or ride share would be better.

@CruiserBruce  I somehow recall that luggage is not permitted on the F Trolley?  They are older cars, and not designed for it. (But I could be mistaken).

Agree...that has been the rule...about checked bags, not carry ons. Again, the party could split between the various methods of transport. Or be prepared to tip generously for a taxi or Uber to make the run.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Napagirl said:

I thought of the pedicabs but the issue is luggage. 

Is there a mandate that everyone travel together as a single group? My initial thought was to send the disabled friend, perhaps with a PCA but sans baggage, ahead via pedicab, and have the rest of the group walk from the ferry building to Pier 35 with all the baggage in tow.

As to pedicab fares, the most recent resolutions of the Board of Supervisors adopted pursuant to section 3909 of the city's Police Code, adopted in 2011 (nos. 0164-11 and 0320-11, for Keith R. Saggers, dba SF Student Jobs Coalition, and Abraham Pedicabs LLC, dba Cabrio Taxi, respectively), provide for a one-way fare, for two passengers, of $20.00 between the ferry building and Pier 39. Note that while the tariff does not provide explicitly for a fare between the ferry building and Pier 35, given that Pier 39 is beyond Pier 35, the $20.00 fare should apply. Only the rates that have been authorized by the Board of Supervisors, and published by the carrier, may be charged. Police Code § 3909.1. Apparently, the $35.00 fare quoted by someone else here would be unlawful.

In comparison, the taxi fare between the ferry building and Pier 35, a distance of just over one mile, is $7.40. This consists of $4.15 for the flag drop plus the first one-fifth mile, plus $0.65 for each additional one-fifth mile ($3.25 per mile). These rates were approved by the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency effective November 17, 2022.

Note, too, that streetcar cash fare, between the ferry building and Pier 35, is $3.00 per person, discounted to $1.50 for disabled persons and those aged 65 years or greater.

Edited by GTJ
  • Thanks 1

Thank you everyone for the info! We have offered to handle the luggage for the ones needing the ride - as long as they don't pack TOO much. haha! We still have our luggage of course. I will share what I've learned here and let them decide. MUCH appreciated!

• Like 1