Photos didn't back up to Cloud Via Ship's Wifi

knittinggirl

I had purchased the ship's Wifi.  

I thought I'd uploaded the photos to the ship's WiFi, but when I returned home, the only photos I had were on the original memory card.   I don't remember if I was in port or at sea.    I remember the TV programs pretty much shut down while we were in port.

Anybody else have this problem?   Do I need to go back to hard disks?    

I wouldn't trust my photos to any 3rd party entity for storage. I upload the SD card directly to my laptop. then I will transfer it to one of several portable hard drives I have. Think of these data files as your negatives if you were shooting on film. Would you hand them over to some stranger for safe keeping?

• Like 2

I always back up to physical media. I'll use cloud storage for sharing, but primary storage is to HDD or preferably SSD. (It's mini Prime Day, so it's a great time to stock up.) You can get 2 TB for less than a hundred bucks now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Which cloud service did you use? Most should provide feedback as far as the status of your backup (and if yours doesn't, it should at least have an easy way for you to go see what's there). 

If you're using some kind of constant backup that uploads to the cloud without action from you, definitely turn that off and instead back up manually when you're in a spotty network area (and most cruise ships are spotty network areas).

• Like 1