Livorno to Florence

crdtrnr

Is it advisable/easy to get to Florence from Livorno (and back) on your own, or is a ship excursion recommended?

Also, we are ther on the first Sunday in December.  Is the Accademia Gallery free for viewing that day?

Thanks

Lots of us use the train to get to Florence and back, it's up to you and what you're comfortable with.

The Accademia is included in the Domenica al Museo program. 

Domenica al Museo:  Domenica al Museo - Ministero della cultura

The Accademia's official website is here, with a link to the ticket seller: Visit - Galleria dell'Accademia di Firenze (galleriaaccademiafirenze.it)

I just took a look at the ticket website and December 5 2023 isn't on the list for tickets, I would email to see how this is handled, or call:  Firenze Musei: Tel. +39 055 294883

Edited by euro cruiser

1 hour ago, crdtrnr said:

Is it advisable/easy to get to Florence from Livorno (and back) on your own, or is a ship excursion recommended?

Also, we are ther on the first Sunday in December.  Is the Accademia Gallery free for viewing that day?

Thanks

It's easy but you can waste a lot of time getting from cruise port to train station, then another delay at Pisa changing trains for Florence.  First, you'll take the shuttle offered by Livorno for 7 euros each/return.  Shuttle doesn't go to train station, but Piazza Municipio (about 1.5 miles from train station).  At the Piazza there are numerous shore excursions vendors, city bus, etc.  You may get lucky getting a taxi at the port, but normally taxis are looking for trips to Pisa (or Florence), and don't want to do a short trip.  (It can also be difficult to find a taxi at the train station upon return.)  Several others on the Epic are using a bus excursion from Piazza Municipio called Shore-Experience.  It's basic bus service to from Florence (also Florence/Pisa) option, but you still need to get to the Piazza for less than $40 per person.  

Yes, the Accademia Gallery is free the first Sunday of every month.  They will not sell tickets for this day, and you stand in line waiting your turn.  I have found a couple of third-party vendors selling tickets for the 1st, but I'm a little leery as I know on the official website it will not sell tickets.  

As the Epic is the only ship in port that day less people will be headed that way to Florence.  Keep in mind though free Sundays (even in December) can be busy, plus Christmas Fairs are also happening that day so tourism in Florence will still be busy.  If the Accademia is on your list I'd head there as soon as you get into Florence.  

It's unfortunate that your stop in on a first Sunday.  I would seriously reconsider going to the Accademia unless you simply must see David and are sure you will never again be in Florence, because you will waste most of the day on this one thing.

You might also consider getting on the roll call for your sailing to see if you can find some other folks to share the cost of a private transfer to Florence and back.  It will cost quite a bit more than the train but divided among four or six people the same or less than a bus trip through the cruise line, and it will allow you the freedom to pick the time to go and return, without waiting for fifty other people to get on the bus.

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, crdtrnr said:

Is the Accademia Gallery free for viewing that day?

In our experience of European trips on land, "free entry days"  to normally paid attractions are the most crowded with long lines to enter, also big crowds around the most popular exhibits, so if the line is very long when youarrive there you may want to reconsider, although there is always a slim chance  you may be lucky.

• Like 1