Boston - Taxi / Uber for Solo Traveler

sgregel

Staying at Hyatt Regency Harborside, arriving Saturday around noon.  I am planning on taking the water taxi over to Boston, returning before dark.  I've read where the water taxi schedule is unpredictable, so I'm thinking about a taxi or uber back to the hotel.  What is the best option (safety) for a single lady traveling solo?  Also, traveling to the cruise terminal the next day, should I go with a taxi or Uber?  The hotel is by Logan airport.

Sandy

8 minutes ago, sgregel said:

I've read where the water taxi schedule is unpredictable, so I'm thinking about a taxi or uber back to the hotel.  What is the best option (safety) for a single lady traveling solo?  Also, traveling to the cruise terminal the next day, should I go with a taxi or Uber?  The hotel is by Logan airport.

Either of them are perfectly safe. Boston itself is a very safe city and you shouldn't be worried about walking around after dark in the main tourist areas. 

Personally I would prefer Uber or Lyft just because you know they are going to take a credit card and I find it easier than dealing with a taxi. There are a lot fewer taxis in Boston these days than before, like most places. 

4 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Either of them are perfectly safe. Boston itself is a very safe city and you shouldn't be worried about walking around after dark in the main tourist areas. 

Personally I would prefer Uber or Lyft just because you know they are going to take a credit card and I find it easier than dealing with a taxi. There are a lot fewer taxis in Boston these days than before, like most places. 

Thanks so much for your quick response.  I definitely prefer Uber over taxis.  I appreciate the feedback on the safety issue.  I feel more comfortable about not having to rush back to the hotel.  I wanted to do 2 days pre-cruise, but the hotels were just too expensive.

1 hour ago, sgregel said:

I feel more comfortable about not having to rush back to the hotel.

Anywhere in Back Bay, North End, Copley, Beacon Hill, Faneuil Hall areas are very safe. There are parts on the fringes of Downtown and Chinatown I might not walk along at night as a single person. Not to say they are dangerous but there isn't any real reason to go as a tourist and they aren't as well lit or populated. Part of the charm of Boston is walking around at night with the restaurants etc. 

3 hours ago, sgregel said:

I wanted to do 2 days pre-cruise, but the hotels were just too expensive.

This time of year is incredibly expensive in Boston. 

• Like 1