Choir of Man on NCL Encore

I'manewbie

2 hours ago, Jaworskym said:

I got the same email for 22 Oct. Did a little digging on Facebook and saw the cast of COM gave their last performance on the Encore 4 days ago. 

That doesn't bode well for the Panama Canal repo either.

I’m sure it’s just for this group of performers. It takes a few weeks to a month of rehearsal before a production like that goes live. I’m disappointed but knew there would probably be some last minute changes for the final sailing of the season 

20 minutes ago, IAcruising said:

Roll Call says they are accepting bookings for the first week of the repo, so doesn't seem to be permanent.

So would we assume they are changing performing groups and the last 2 Alaskan cruises just get shortchanged during the interim? Does NCL ever bring in one-off entertainers like other cruise lines? Doesn’t seem so….I’m annoyed. Go to the box office to book what?? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, durberville said:

So would we assume they are changing performing groups and the last 2 Alaskan cruises just get shortchanged during the interim? 

So it would seem. I don't know why they didn't schedule this for the first or last two-weeks of the repo. How many times do you need to see Choir of Man on a 21-day cruise? And it's certainly a partially filled ship, so it's not like you wouldn't be able to get a seat.

9 hours ago, durberville said:

So would we assume they are changing performing groups and the last 2 Alaskan cruises just get shortchanged during the interim? Does NCL ever bring in one-off entertainers like other cruise lines? Doesn’t seem so….I’m annoyed. Go to the box office to book what?? 

I know, I know...my comment will lack empathy. You're in Alaska. Nature is your show. Why do you need some silly theatre show? Unless you were looking forward to free beer. Said from the perspective of someone who will go to shows, but doesn't need them to make my cruise a blast! Now, get outside and look at those marvelous landscapes and night sky. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I know, I know...my comment will lack empathy. You're in Alaska. Nature is your show. Why do you need some silly theatre show? Unless you were looking forward to free beer. Said from the perspective of someone who will go to shows, but doesn't need them to make my cruise a blast! Now, get outside and look at those marvelous landscapes and night sky. 

I was scheduled to see them twice,  Monday at 10PM and Friday at 10PM.   Have the beverage package so don't need additional free beer.   It will be dark at 10PM, so unless the aurora is out not too much to see.   Not sure why you felt the need to chime in.

Edited by Perkolater
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, durberville said:

I am sure that they will have some kind of substitute entertainment in the theater.

I would be a annoyed also. I understand when a show is cancelled because of injuries or illness of cast members, but it does not seem this is the case. NCL knows when one cast's contract ends and should have the next group ready to go with an almost seamless transition.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Perkolater said:

I was scheduled to see them twice,  Monday at 10PM and Friday at 10PM.   Have the beverage package so don't need additional free beer.   It will be dark at 10PM, so unless the aurora is out not too much to see.   Not sure why you felt the need to chime in.

Lots to see outside! 

Lots of clips here to satisfy your show mania: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9ArI9wD5kzRmiK4-piYsmg

20 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Lots to see outside! 

Lots of clips here to satisfy your show mania: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9ArI9wD5kzRmiK4-piYsmg

Wow. Patronizing much?

10 pm. Mid October. Alaska.

As far as I’m concerned the ship already lacks entertainment and I was looking forward to seeing ONE theatre production. 

Now cueing you to say “Go sail xxxx - more room for us!” As seems to be the norm here when anyone voices a criticism.  🙄 (Oh, and I don’t drink beer)

10 minutes ago, durberville said:

Wow. Patronizing much?

10 pm. Mid October. Alaska.

As far as I’m concerned the ship already lacks entertainment and I was looking forward to seeing ONE theatre production. 

Now cueing you to say “Go sail xxxx - more room for us!” As seems to be the norm here when anyone voices a criticism.  🙄 (Oh, and I don’t drink beer)

Ooooooo! Orinoco Flow! Love that song. I know it's not "go" sail away, but that's the first song that popped in my mind. In November, I will go sail away!

I don't typically tell others to go sail elsewhere. Actually I think the NCL cutbacks on entertainment suck! I just don't get my hips bent out of shape over those changes. Now, you touch my filet or thermal suite! That's when you'll be hearing from me. 

Not trying to give false hope nor do I know from a fact, but according to other SM sites, they’ve been having to cancel performances of CoM this week and last, as the seas have been extremely rough, making it unsafe for the performers. They mentioned they preemptively cancelled all the reservations the next two sailings because they may not be on the days scheduled, so they don’t want people thinking they have set evening dinner/show plans, and that they would announce show times/days in real-time based on the weather during the sailing.

Idk if that’s true or not, but I’m also sailing 10/15 and received the email…and that’s what people are saying 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

FL transplant from NY? How else would you know us so well?

Not a chance.  But trust me, it isn't hard to figure out who the NYers are down here. 

33 minutes ago, zackarykeef said:

Not trying to give false hope nor do I know from a fact, but according to other SM sites, they’ve been having to cancel performances of CoM this week and last, as the seas have been extremely rough, making it unsafe for the performers. They mentioned they preemptively cancelled all the reservations the next two sailings because they may not be on the days scheduled, so they don’t want people thinking they have set evening dinner/show plans, and that they would announce show times/days in real-time based on the weather during the sailing.

Not sure I buy cancelling shows two weeks out due to weather.  But that does appear to be the story NCL is spreading.  We planned our specialty dining reservations around the show times that we wanted to see so even if this is the case, it still could have been handled better.  I guess we will see.  Thanks for the info!

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, zackarykeef said:

Idk if that’s true or not, but I’m also sailing 10/15 and received the email…and that’s what people are saying 🤷🏼‍♂️

Well that would certainly be a more acceptable reason IMHO. I hope it is true! Thanks for the info! 👍🏻🙂🤞🏻🤞🏻

(Either way and based on anecdotal information, we are ready for some wild seas. 😬 I am perfectly fine with weather related schedule changes)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

There are daylight hours to view the scenery and other nights to view the night sky. For an individual, seeing a performance of Choir of Man only takes away an hour or two of one night.  You can do both!  Except you cant if one is cancelled.  Fortunately they cant cancel the night sky

16 hours ago, desibee said:

I heard NCL was planning on doing away with Spa Suite amenities, so in a way they already have touched the thermal suites.

https://cruiseradio.net/norwegian-ditches-ncl-thermal-spa-pass-staterooms/

That is true! I've definitely seen this. We haven't ever booked a Spa Suite...well we did book a Spa Suite, but then changed to an aft-facing suite instead. For four of our five cruises we've had to book the thermal suite separately, so this change doesn't really impact me. Even though it doesn't impact me, I think NCL is making the wrong move, though it should generate extra income for them as it'll require folks to purchase the thermal suite pass separately. I do wonder how many actually book the Spa Suite rooms for the thermal suite versus for the Haven. Perhaps this change opens up more spa passes for everyone to purchase.