Maya Chan Beach

kreyem7

I'll be there next week so I can update when I get back. It will be my third time there so I will be able to compare to previous trips.

On 10/12/2023 at 11:17 AM, c-leg5 said:

Haven’t they only just reopened? 

They have been closing (extended vacation) for the summer past few years, but have been open since the restart of cruises.

30 minutes ago, johnboy036 said:

I'll be there next week so I can update when I get back. It will be my third time there so I will be able to compare to previous trips.

They have been closing (extended vacation) for the summer past few years, but have been open since the restart of cruises.

I know they have been open since cruising resumed (I have been) but I am doubting there are many reviews since their closure this summer.

I suppose it depends what you classify “recent”.

4 minutes ago, smellywax said:

I tried to make reservations for November 1st but it seems like they are closed and I emailed but got no response 

That seems strange - the closed banner has gone and there are reviews for September/October on TA.

We were there in April, and i have to be honest - i was really disappointed (i was so looking forward to it as our other Costa Maya stop the year before was cancelled). It wasn't their fault, but the seaweed was AWFUL, and imo they shouldn't have opened that day. They had been texting us in the weeks before we went, telling us that the seaweed was bad and they would monitor it and if they felt it was too bad they would close for the day and notify us. So when they DIDN'T close, we were excited and figured it would be ok. Well, it was definitely not ok. Their beach was covered in stinky seaweed, it was impossible to get in the water at all, so we sat on beach chairs in the sand for a while, had lunch (which was great!) then got an early taxi back to the port.

It was just too gross to sit there all day.

I have read so many great things about the owners, and this resort, and i SO wanted to love it, but i was irritated that they chose to remain open and it just wasn't a good visit for us at all. I understand that this is their livlihood, so i feel bad for the negative review, but i'm just being honest. 

We'll be back in Costa Maya in 2 weeks, and now i don't know where we're going to go! I think the seaweed crisis has passed, tho, so we'll probably just find a beach close to the port.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/17/2023 at 2:59 PM, ajtaylor29 said:

We were there in April, and i have to be honest - i was really disappointed (i was so looking forward to it as our other Costa Maya stop the year before was cancelled). It wasn't their fault, but the seaweed was AWFUL, and imo they shouldn't have opened that day. They had been texting us in the weeks before we went, telling us that the seaweed was bad and they would monitor it and if they felt it was too bad they would close for the day and notify us. So when they DIDN'T close, we were excited and figured it would be ok. Well, it was definitely not ok. Their beach was covered in stinky seaweed, it was impossible to get in the water at all, so we sat on beach chairs in the sand for a while, had lunch (which was great!) then got an early taxi back to the port.

It was just too gross to sit there all day.

I have read so many great things about the owners, and this resort, and i SO wanted to love it, but i was irritated that they chose to remain open and it just wasn't a good visit for us at all. I understand that this is their livlihood, so i feel bad for the negative review, but i'm just being honest. 

We'll be back in Costa Maya in 2 weeks, and now i don't know where we're going to go! I think the seaweed crisis has passed, tho, so we'll probably just find a beach close to the port.

Did they not show you pictures of current conditions and give you the option of a refund before you boarded the transportation to the club?

32 minutes ago, nwo4life said:

Did they not show you pictures of current conditions and give you the option of a refund before you boarded the transportation to the club?

Yes they did. It's not their fault, it's mine. I saw the pictures but since we'd never been there I thought "oh surely this is a small area of their beach and there'll be a spot where we can walk in to get to some clean water "....but there wasn't at all! Their beachfront is pretty small and it was covered.

19 minutes ago, ajtaylor29 said:

Yes they did. It's not their fault, it's mine. I saw the pictures but since we'd never been there I thought "oh surely this is a small area of their beach and there'll be a spot where we can walk in to get to some clean water "....but there wasn't at all! Their beachfront is pretty small and it was covered.

Where did you go on your return trip to Costa Maya?

Had sargassum improved in October?

Edited by c-leg5

21 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Where did you go on your return trip to Costa Maya?

Had sargassum improved in October?

We went to Krazy Lobster and had a great day! We were the only big ship in port that day so it wasn't crowded at all, I might have felt different if it had been...

No charge to get in. Our bill for food and drink was about $70, very reasonable imo so we tipped well!

No sargassum at all! Beach was clean and water was clear.

I also liked that it was about a 5 minute cab ride, $4 per person.

We'll definitely go back!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ajtaylor29 said:

We went to Krazy Lobster and had a great day! We were the only big ship in port that day so it wasn't crowded at all, I might have felt different if it had been...

No charge to get in. Our bill for food and drink was about $70, very reasonable imo so we tipped well!

No sargassum at all! Beach was clean and water was clear.

I also liked that it was about a 5 minute cab ride, $4 per person.

We'll definitely go back!

Thanks, that seems to be the main go-to place at the moment on the malecon. They have certainly taken over a lot of frontage.