Don’t know what to do

Hoveto

I’ve been on many, many cruises. Plenty with P&O going back to Chusan but more recently with Cunard. I’m looking to book the Arcadia 2026 world cruise as I quite like the itinerary, but on reading about the various cutbacks am getting nervous. No daily afternoon tea served in the restaurant, reduced choice at dinner etc. What else is missing. I know the Cunard product is more expensive but has P&O really moved down market and will I be very disappointed. All comments appreciated.

15 minutes ago, Hoveto said:

I’ve been on many, many cruises. Plenty with P&O going back to Chusan but more recently with Cunard. I’m looking to book the Arcadia 2026 world cruise as I quite like the itinerary, but on reading about the various cutbacks am getting nervous. No daily afternoon tea served in the restaurant, reduced choice at dinner etc. What else is missing. I know the Cunard product is more expensive but has P&O really moved down market and will I be very disappointed. All comments appreciated.

Discussion on this topic is covered in many threads recently. One such is ‘Goodbye P&O’ on the first page of the thread list. I suggest you look at some of these rather than repeating the discussions on this new thread. Just don’t believe everything you read (on both sides) because there are contradictions between peoples’ perceptions.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Hoveto said:

Out of interest - what's the difference in price for you between similar cruise on Arcadia and Cunard?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Discussion on this topic is covered in many threads recently. One such is ‘Goodbye P&O’ on the first page of the thread list. I suggest you look at some of these rather than repeating the discussions on this new thread. Just don’t believe everything you read (on both sides) because there are contradictions between peoples’ perceptions.

Gives folk another opportunity to raise their pet hates....again.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, david63 said:

The one thing that I will say is that the P&O of 2023 is nothing like the P&O of 2012 in many ways

I can only compare the P&O of 2012 with the P&O of 2019 - and it proved to be quite a different product, which is why we're looking at other options for when we can return.  Those other options (Saga and Cunard) are likely to be considerably more expensive, so 'value for money' is going to be down to individual decisions. 

We do have very good friends though (they put us on to P&O in the first place with glowing praise)  who gave up on P&O fairly recently for Saga, and they now say they wouldn't consider going back to P&O.

That’s very worrying. Cunard is I guess without looking 15 to 20% more expensive. Excluding their new build, the ships are very traditional in decor. If present day P&O is nothing like 2012 (even in 2012 there were cutbacks) I don’t think it’s worth the risk for me. One drawback on Cunard is that all charges are in US dollars. Drinks very expensive. Thanks everyone for your comments. 

32 minutes ago, david63 said:

The one thing that I will say is that the P&O of 2023 is nothing like the P&O of 2012 in many ways

I wouldn’t go that far. Yes, Iona (and Arvia, which I haven’t sailed on) in 2023 are very different to say Oceana in 2012. Aurora in 2012 was a family ship and is now adults only. Whether the product on the smaller adult only ships is that different, I wouldn’t know. 

48 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I can only compare the P&O of 2012 with the P&O of 2019 - and it proved to be quite a different product, which is why we're looking at other options for when we can return.  Those other options (Saga and Cunard) are likely to be considerably more expensive, so 'value for money' is going to be down to individual decisions. 

We do have very good friends though (they put us on to P&O in the first place with glowing praise)  who gave up on P&O fairly recently for Saga, and they now say they wouldn't consider going back to P&O.

Interestingly, SS Chusan passengers would be old enough to qualify for a Saga cruise. It was scrapped In 1973.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Hoveto said:

That’s very worrying. Cunard is I guess without looking 15 to 20% more expensive. Excluding their new build, the ships are very traditional in decor. If present day P&O is nothing like 2012 (even in 2012 there were cutbacks) I don’t think it’s worth the risk for me. One drawback on Cunard is that all charges are in US dollars. Drinks very expensive. Thanks everyone for your comments. 

Cunard 2026 world cruise hasn't been announced yet and as they've only just launched the remainder of the 2025 programme it will be some way off.  Also 2025 there is only one world cruise on Queen Anne with Queen Victoria covering South America so no guarantee which ship/s they will use in 2026.

There are rumours on the Cunard forum that Queen Mary 2 is booked into a few ports leading to guesses she will undertake a world cruise in 2026 but that is just guesswork.

If you are unsure on the Queen Anne then waiting for the her to sail may be better than rushing such a big decision and in the waiting time Cunard will hopefully announce their plans for 2026.

I too am waiting on the Cunard announcement as I intend to book the WC for 2026 if there is a sailing on any other ship except Queen Anne - not because I dislike her but because of the lack of single cabins).  Personally much as i enjoy my P&O cruises I would only consider Cunard for such a long voyage and am of the view that the extra cost for the experience is worthwhile, particularly for the insights programme and daytime activities on seadays.

Correct. I am old enough to go on a Saga cruise. Chusan was my first cruise. I was taken by my grand parents. I want to try Saga but I really wanted to visit some far away places. Maybe Arcadia on a world cruise would have an enhanced product - who knows. Today’s ships are a world apart from the old liners - most cabins having no facilities. Not even all first class having facilities.

I would say that P&O give excellent value for money.  But the feeling of luxury is rapidly disappearing.  It's more of a three star hotel now.   I guess in the end you get what you pay for.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hoveto said:

Megabear 2, who knows we may meet in 2026. I don’t like the look of Queen Anne as her open deck space looks very limited and no proper promenade deck. I think I’ll wait for  Cunard 2026 itinerary.

I am on Queen Anne next September so will see for myself.  I'm hoping for the rumoured Queen Mary 2 WC in 2026 but will happily settle for Queen Victoria or Queen Elizabeth although I doubt it will be the latter.  

There are a couple of regular P&O forum members sailing on Queen Anne before me including Majortom and Selbourne both of whom will give reliable and informative opinions which I'm very much looking forward to.  

If we end up on the same cruise we may indeed meet up, particularly as the full WC is the special club so to speak.

57 minutes ago, Hoveto said:

I’m sure you will enjoy yourself. Never been on a Cunard cruise that I didn’t enjoy. I did enjoy my P&O cruises.

If you enjoyed them then why not try them again? Don't be put off by people who miss no opportunity to have a go at P&O even if they haven't cruised with them for years!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hoveto said:

Correct. I am old enough to go on a Saga cruise. Chusan was my first cruise. I was taken by my grand parents. I want to try Saga but I really wanted to visit some far away places. Maybe Arcadia on a world cruise would have an enhanced product - who knows. Today’s ships are a world apart from the old liners - most cabins having no facilities. Not even all first class having facilities.

Maybe not quite on the scale of a world cruise but Saga have recently released there early 2025 itineraries and on 6th January the Spirit of Discovery will leave on a 49 night cruise from Portsmouth taking in Madeira, several Caribbean islands, several Central American ports, Galvaston, New Orleans then back via Bermuda and the Azores.

No prices available yet as the itineraries are being offered to clients who have pre-registered with Saga. Likely to go on general sale in the next 4 to 6 weeks.

Below is a link to the cruise itinerary - hope it works OK

https://travel.saga.co.uk/cruises/ocean/where-we-go/caribbean-cruises/caribbean-and-central-america-discovery.aspx

I was pleasantly surprised with my cruise on Aurora in August and thought that a number of things that had disappeared post-Covid had been reintroduced.

You will notice a difference around food but how much you enjoy it will depend upon your personal tastes. There is a fair amount of choice on the mdr menus but sometimes almost half the choices are now vegetarian or vegan. I'm not someone who has to eat meat, fowl or fish at every meal but the dishes on offer didn't really work for me. My other bugbear with the food is that the vast majority of desserts are pretty tasteless.

The other main area that you may notice is that there is not an evening turndown service any more. There is still tea & coffee in the cabins and it seems that the upmarket rich-tea biscuits will be replaced on request only.

I've been cruising with P&O since 1997 and so have seen a lot of change. I would happily rebook for a short cruise (i.e. around two weeks) but for me cruising with P&O (and other lines of a similar standard) has lost its 'sparkle' so wouldn't be tempted for a long itinerary.