Weather and Beach to Choose?

NRichard10

We will be in Roatan on the Harmony in the first week of December. First visit to Roatan.

Does anyone know what the air and Ocean temperature might be at that time of the year? Does it rain a lot at that time of year? 

Trying to decide on a beach day, but not sure which one. I'm looking at 4 different beaches and I'm hoping I can get some suggestions from previous visitors.

Here are the 4 I am considering. Any help in deciding would be helpful. Thank You in advance.

• TABYANA BEACH
  • MAYA KEY
  • BIG FRENCH KEY
  • SOL Y MAR BEACH CLUB

Thanks again for your help.

10 minutes ago, NRichard10 said:

We will be in Roatan on the Harmony in the first week of December. First visit to Roatan.

Does anyone know what the air and Ocean temperature might be at that time of the year? Does it rain a lot at that time of year? 

Trying to decide on a beach day, but not sure which one. I'm looking at 4 different beaches and I'm hoping I can get some suggestions from previous visitors.

Here are the 4 I am considering. Any help in deciding would be helpful. Thank You in advance.

• TABYANA BEACH
  • MAYA KEY
  • BIG FRENCH KEY
  • SOL Y MAR BEACH CLUB

Thanks again for your help.

What are your priorities and have you looked at recent reviews on this board for these beaches?

9 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

What are your priorities and have you looked at recent reviews on this board for these beaches?

Basically looking for just a nice, clean, and clear beach. Bathroom and changing room would be nice. Would like to swim in water if warm enough. all inclusive or not doesn't matter. Just not looking for a extremely rowdy crowd.

I have not looked at any reviews yet, but I will. Just looking for other people's opinions right now.

24 minutes ago, NRichard10 said:

Basically looking for just a nice, clean, and clear beach. Bathroom and changing room would be nice. Would like to swim in water if warm enough. all inclusive or not doesn't matter. Just not looking for a extremely rowdy crowd.

I have not looked at any reviews yet, but I will. Just looking for other people's opinions right now.

I am assuming from your choices you are looking at ship excursions only? 

Of those four I have been to Sol y Mar and Maya Key but neither recently. Maya Key is my “go to” with young children because it is the most convenient travel wise of all excursions on Roatan. It is a 5 minute boat ride directly from within the port and usually has a choice of return times. It is by no means exclusively for people with  kids it is simply easy and convenient. It is the only one of your four that has a swimming pool. It has good snorkeling although currents can sometimes be a problem and take you onto coral depending on the weather. It has areas to walk and animals to view if temperatures are not conducive to swimming. Very good bathrooms. No vendors.

Sol y Mar is a bus ride away but not too far. It has been several years since we were there and it was quite new at the time. It has different option packages and you are separated along the beach according to your package - family, PAYG, AI etc. It had some water sports available, reasonable beach. Snorkeling reports not generally great but I didn’t try. No vendors.

Tabyana is a section at the end of the prime beach of Roatan (West Bay) and is exclusively for cruise ship visitors. It is a 30 minute (?) ride depending on traffic and road conditions. West Bay is prime snorkeling from the shore or via a guided boat. I haven’t been so no idea about facilities. West Bay is renowned for being bombarded by vendors - not sure about Tabyana section.

I have never been to Big Key or seen many reviews. It is somewhere I would like to try.

You can check historical data for weather, air and water temps to get an idea.  

Dec is part of rainy season but there is always the possibility you will land on a beautiful sunny day.  

I have not been on the island in Dec but I have done many a January, as long as the sun is out, it is warm and the water is refreshing.