Aurora Tours in Tromso and Alta

donaldsc

We are doing a Viking Norway cruise in March.  We have overnights in Tromso and in Alta so I plan to stay out all night.  Any suggestions for tour companies that do a good long aurora tour would be appreciated.  Also we need to plan for what we will do during the day besides sleeping late because of our nighttime aurora excursions.  Any thoughts.

DON

There are websites like visittromso.no run by the local tourist agencies - its a start for locating northern lights 'chases' and other options.

For Tromso, I enjoyed a visit to the 'Wilderness Center' [husky puppies] as one of the stops on a ship's excursion - they also offer dog sledding experience.

I have same trip in January and have booked a small, local NL trip for first day/ night Tromso.  Second day will self tour the museums. 

I used the general site already mentioned and other known tour guide sites and found the interesting local providers.  It should be a Hoot. 

I will reserve the decision to chase in Alta for when we are getting near, in route.  It is the desire to see the museum in Alta that takes priority (UNESCO site).  If weather is favorable I might find a private chase.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello--we are doing the Viking Venus in February--In Search of Northern Lights. Don't ask where--cause I've been scouring these boards for information on this cruise and the ports--but I found a link to this very detailed review of the ship, the ports, and excursions. It is long--but there is s much information including the names of the tour operators used.

My group have two northern lights chases booked--one each in Tromso and Alta--there really wasn't much availability through my usual operators and I didn't want to get shut out. We are still looking for wonderful and unique things to do along the way!

Safe and happy travels!!

http://www.thepreismans.com/venus_p1.htm