NY ferries to BCT qiestions

bones774

Hi, some questions re:ferry.

I know Ikea has a free weekend ferry to red hook. Does this ferry drop off close to ported ship at BCT? What/where are the stops in Manhattan?

NYC ferries run during the week and stop at red hook. Do they use same terminal as Ikea, if not, is that stop within walking distance? Where can you catch NYC ferry to Red hook from Manhattan, I know pier 11 at seaport , any other stops, west side maybe? Does anyone forsee any problems or it is a workable solution?

Thanks

No the Ikea Ferry is nowhere near the Brooklyn Cruise port and is run by a different company (NY Waterways) that runs the Ferries to New Jersey. Also, there are only four ferries that run Saturday and Sunday.

https://www.nywaterway.com/ikea.aspx

NYC Ferry operated by Hornblower is only $4, you could take the two Ikea Ferries that would make it in time to check in but then you would need transportation from Ikea. The NYC Transit bus from IKEA does not come near the ship you would have to transfer to the only other bus line in Red Hook so your $4 savings just came down to $1.10.

I guess you could take the free Ikea Ferry from the west side Midtown/W39th Peir 79 to Wall Street Pier 11 then get on NYC Ferry for $4

Seriously the walk from the Red Hook Atlantic Basin Ferry stop is shorter than walking from bow to stern on the ship. https://www.ferry.nyc/

So the NYC ferry and IKEA ferry use 2 different terminals?

The hornblower is the ferry I need, sounds ideal.

Ferry price w/senior discount, 1.35  thanks 😁    number 3 to wall st and walk over 

Edited by bones774

If you're local let me ask you this.

I'll be arriving at Port Authority terminal, pretty sure I can walk down into the bowels of the terminal and take long confusing walk and up/down stairs.

Would it be better for me to just exit terminal and walk 42 st to 3 train entrance?

26 minutes ago, bones774 said:

If you're local let me ask you this.

I'll be arriving at Port Authority terminal, pretty sure I can walk down into the bowels of the terminal and take long confusing walk and up/down stairs.

Would it be better for me to just exit terminal and walk 42 st to 3 train entrance?

That is what I would do - unless the weather was so foul that messing around in bus terminal to take 8th Ave line so I could later change to 3 train would be an acceptable price for staying dry.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bones774 said:

Ferry price w/senior discount, 1.35 

You can't just walk up to the dock and purchase a $1.35 senior citizen ticket. You have to fill out an application and get approved for the discounted fare. Per their instructions you have to allow 30 days for the application to be approved:

https://ferry.nyc/discount/?_ga=2.166840126.1485632488.1697563511-152547009.1697563511&_gl=1*ykwkql*_ga*MTUyNTQ3MDA5LjE2OTc1NjM1MTE.*_ga_V4MP1PCVYV*MTY5NzU2MzUxMC4xLjEuMTY5NzU2MzUxNS41NS4wLjA.

https://images.ferry.nyc/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/13105501/Terms-and-Conditions-–-Senior-Citizens-1-1.pdf?_gl=1*zo8p9j*_ga*MTUyNTQ3MDA5LjE2OTc1NjM1MTE.*_ga_V4MP1PCVYV*MTY5NzU2MzUxMC4xLjEuMTY5NzU2MzU2NC42LjAuMA..&_ga=2.231262239.1485632488.1697563511-152547009.1697563511

• Like 1

4 hours ago, njhorseman said:

I did it online yesterday first thing in the AM. Within 1 hour they had my account adjusted for senior.  Could not believe the speed it was done. 

I think that you can show up at pier 11 and get approved also.

4 hours ago, njhorseman said:

You can't just walk up to the dock and purchase a $1.35 senior citizen ticket. You have to fill out an application and get approved for the discounted fare.

Yes, the system for reduced fare ferry tickets is a convoluted process and completely separate from the senior MetroCard system. Apply well in advance. And even with being certified, one cannot purchase senior tickets from the machines at most ferry landings. Reduced fare tickets are available from the ticket seller at Pier 11. Seemingly the system was designed to exclude all but local seniors from participating. Federal law requires that half-fare be made available to all elderly and disabled persons, without discrimination, as a condition for receiving federal financial assistance, but that law allows local officials to establish "reasonable" procedures for its non-discriminatory implementation. Other federally-funded transportation systems also impose practices that have the effect of excluding non-local seniors, including the Philadelphia transit system and the Alaska Railroad, among others.

There are two ferry landings in Red Hook. One is at Atlantic Basin, adjacent to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, served by NYC Ferry. The other is at Erie Basin, adjacent to an Ikea store, served by NY Waterway. They're not too distant from each other--about one mile apart--but it could make a difference if you're carrying substantial baggage. The ferry to Erie Basin departs from Pier 79, about one-half mile from Port Authority Bus Terminal. It is the most convenient ferry to access, but departures are infrequent and then there's the mile-long walk in Red Hook. This ferry departs Pier 79 on weekends only, at 10:30 a.m., 12:00 noon, 1:30 p.m., 3:00 p.m., and 4:00 p.m. Allow 40 minutes travel time (the last trip takes only 25 minutes because it skips an intermediate stop). The ferry to Atlantic Basis departs from Pier 11, to which you might travel by subway. From Port Authority Bus Terminal, go outside and walk crosstown one block along 42nd Street to Seventh Avenue, and enter the subway at that intersection. (Yes, you could walk underground from Port Authority Bus Terminal, but it is a somewhat convoluted path to take . . . usually best to walk above ground.) Ride the no. 2 or no. 3 train downtown to Wall Street. It is then about one-quarter mile to Pier 11. There are many departures from Pier 11, but do check the schedule in advance. In theory you could travel on the ferry from Pier 79 to Pier 11. However, the ferry is funded by Ikea, and was designed to transport passengers to and from the Ikea store in Red Hook, not between ferry landings in Manhattan.

If you did not want to deal with the separate ferry ticketing then you could travel by subway to Brooklyn, then a local bus to the cruise terminal. From Port Authority, get the "A" or "C" train to Jay Street-Metrotech. Then walk two blocks south and board the B61 bus to Red Hook (free transfer with MetroCard or OMNY). You would also need to walk a few blocks from the Red Hook bus stop, on Van Brunt Street at King Street, along Pioneer Street to the cruise terminal. One transit fare for the entire trip ($1.45 senior rate).

Edited by GTJ

2 hours ago, oceanliner1 said:

FYI the ferry from Pier 11 to Red Hook Atlantic Basin's schedule . . . shows it only departs once every hour.

Yes, on weekdays, during the middle of the day, the ferry to and from Red Hook is every 65 minutes. There is greater frequency of service on weekends--when most cruise vessels are in port--with ferry service every 41 minutes during the day. Best to check the schedule before traveling. For comparison's sake, the bus to and from the Brooklyn Cruise Port, route B61, operates every 12 minutes during the middle of the day on weekdays, every 12-15 minutes on Saturdays, and every 12-20 minutes on Sundays.