Discovery Princess - Questions

nlsgmk

Will be traveling to Alaska out of Vancouver on Discovery Princess in May 2024.   Have several questions:

1.  We have priority boarding.  What does this entail?   Have bad knees and standing for an extended period/walking for more than 3-4 blocks is problematic.  Any suggestions for embarkation from the pier would be appreciated.

2.  We have booked two reserve collection mini suites.  The rooms are not connecting - but can they connect the two balconies?

3.  Do they have lemon for iced tea in the buffet area?

4.  Do any of the restaurants serve grapefruit juice for breakfast?

5.  Suggestions for attire in early May in Alaska.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to assist with these questions!

1.  We have priority boarding.  What does this entail?   Have bad knees and standing for an extended period/walking for more than 3-4 blocks is problematic.  Any suggestions for embarkation from the pier would be appreciated……They have seating at the terminal where you can sit. Get there as early as you can so most of the seats aren’t taken. What level are you at with Princess?

2.  We have booked two reserve collection mini suites.  The rooms are not connecting - but can they connect the two balconies?…If both parties talk to the steward they will unlock the balcony door.

3.  Do they have lemon for iced tea in the buffet area? Good question but your question is ship related & all ships might not all have the same beverages. 

4.  Do any of the restaurants serve grapefruit juice for breakfast?

5.  Suggestions for attire in early May in Alaska…Casual attire is fine but in Alaska be prepared for rain at anytime but May has the least amount of rain. 

Tom😀

for boarding you can request wheelchair assistance, you or your TA can add it to your booking, but you may have to ask again at the terminal...I have not specifically done Vancouver but, in our experience there will be someone in the terminal to take you through the boarding process, then they will transfer you to a seat & you will wait your turn for someone from the ship to come with another wheelchair to take you onto the ship they will either drop you at your cabin or elsewhere on the ship...it is very helpful as BIL can not walk/stand for the boarding process...sometimes it is a long gangway onto the ship...it may require waiting longer than just walking on though so you will have to decide if this is best for you (there is no charge, but we usually tip both people who push the wheelchair)

I have seen grapefruit juice in both the dining room & buffet, also lemon or you can request both

LAYERS for Alaska any time you sail...it can be warm & comfortable or cold & rainy all in the same day let alone the same cruise

• Like 1

We just disembarked from the Discovery, loved the west coast cruise we took.  It is a gorgeous ship.  If you have the "green" ready displayed on the Princess app you will board quickly.  Princess also has a special room for elite guests with juice, coffee, tea, pastries and water.  All juices on the ship itself were included in our plus package.  Lemon was offered for iced teas.  We have cruised in May before to Alaska, bring a warm coat and rain gear, we used both when we cruised in May.

Each port is different of course but embarking and disembarking out of Los Angeles and San Francisco this year was a breeze each time.

Enjoy your voyage!

1 hour ago, nlsgmk said:

I am a Hoosier transplant to Georgia - so never got used to the syrup (smiles) they call tea down here - always unsweetened with lemon!

Native Georgian, grew up drinking sweet tea. For health reasons I have switched to unsweetened tea with artificial sweetener added, but still indulge myself with a glass of real iced sweet tea from time to time.

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

Asking for sweet tea on a cruise ship? You might as well ask for iced tea in England. 🙂

this makes me laugh because back in the day my friend asked for iced tea in Hong Kong when it was still a British colony & she got the whole milk & sugar tea creation in a glass with ice cubes (that is before the day of things like iced lattes etc) she was shocked & a little horrified 

On 10/17/2023 at 3:51 PM, nlsgmk said:

1.  We have priority boarding.  What does this entail?   Have bad knees and standing for an extended period/walking for more than 3-4 blocks is problematic.  Any suggestions for embarkation from the pier would be appreciated.

Priority boarding simply means that once checked in at the pier, you will be some of the first to board if you are there early.

For Vancouver I would recommend that you get a wheelchair to aid in checking in.  After checking in you will go through US customs and immigration.  All of this entails a lot of walking on two different levels.  Escalators and elevators are available, but you pretty much walk from the front of the building to the back twice. 

Edited by KreinKrunker