Automatic tip addition to account

longterm

Still tipping, but off topic for cruise ship tips...

I cannot believe it.  I just went to order clothing online from a site that I believe to be US based and this popped up at the checkout!  Really?  You now want me to post a tip for an online site for clothing?

image.thumb.png.7238982e3d20e7a4e65e9569eaf7e47e.png

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

If I am reading what you are saying - that I am saying - correctly, yes, we still are paying the billed or pre-paid gratuities but would prefer to pass cash to those on board who truly have made our cruise more memorable.

I don't care if the gratuities were included, I would still pay cash to people directly.  We enjoy doing this.

I never however prepay, because there have been times that I have reduced the gratuity at the end of the voyage.  When this is still optional, I want the option.

I am a believer that a tip or gratuity is given after great service is delivered, not before.  And, especially in a restaurant, the server has to do more than just deliver your food.

What you pay - how you pay - when you pay - why you pay ----- all irrelevant to the current discussion. The point is that we are using the wrong word. Viking chooses to use the word "gratuities" even though that term is deceptive and misleading. We need not follow suit, nor should we. I propose we start caling them what they are: service charges.

On 11/6/2023 at 11:27 AM, CCWineLover said:

You might be right today.

My situation was last spring.  I specifically tried to do the pre-paid gratuities via 3.3% discount checking account and it wouldn't let me.  It was 25 days out.  I talked to Viking and the rep said the cutoff is 30 days so I had missed it.   Whatever it was, I could not process it which says the system knew at that time.

Perhaps it is 14 days now or perhaps it was 14 days a year ago or whatever.

In any case, buyer beware.

Thank you all for posting this about the ability to pay by ACH being cutoff at a certain point. I just prepaid my optional service charge so I could save the CC processing fees. (Am I correct in inferring that I will not be able to pay my final bill onboard using ACH and save fees at that time? If not, well, no big deal, I would have paid at least the recommended amount anyway, I'm sure, and now it's done.)

1 hour ago, Squillo said:

Thank you all for posting this about the ability to pay by ACH being cutoff at a certain point. I just prepaid my optional service charge so I could save the CC processing fees. (Am I correct in inferring that I will not be able to pay my final bill onboard using ACH and save fees at that time? If not, well, no big deal, I would have paid at least the recommended amount anyway, I'm sure, and now it's done.)

You can only pay onboard by credit card or (on Viking Ocean) cash in US Dollars.

On 9/11/2024 at 9:58 PM, Mike07 said:

That's the part that irks me about the highly suggested but per ToS actually optional gratuities we all pay (minus the brits and Aussies, if memory serves).

In the UK it is illegal for tips to be used to make up part of wages, they have to be on top of. 

Quoted prices must include all non optional costs, this is why Viking UK prices include gratuities. If optional, as the UK is mostly non tipping, or 10% max, the suggested would be removed, as the onboard service is OK but not tip worthy

• Thanks 1

On 11/6/2023 at 3:27 PM, CCWineLover said:

You might be right today.

My situation was last spring.  I specifically tried to do the pre-paid gratuities via 3.3% discount checking account and it wouldn't let me.  It was 25 days out.  I talked to Viking and the rep said the cutoff is 30 days so I had missed it.   Whatever it was, I could not process it which says the system knew at that time.

Perhaps it is 14 days now or perhaps it was 14 days a year ago or whatever.

In any case, buyer beware.

FWIW - Costco Citi card provides 3% back on travel and Viking is included on that list (for down/partial/full payments), as well as, OBC charges.

The downside is that the included "travel insurance" with Costco Citi, I'm not sure what it pays for. I know other travel cards are much better about including certain coverage for paying with their cards.