Prima lost power last night?

COcruise

7 hours ago, COcruise said:

I agree. I was more curious and NCL didn’t say anything formally. Just a tad scary but I know there are backup generators etc.

Ask the chief engineer for a report.

35 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

And, I'll add that this kind of engine failure could happen to any ship at any time, new, or old.

But you have to understand that there are posters who enjoy criticizing the Prima at every available opportunity. 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CruiseMH said:

Practically all modern ships do have two main switchboards.

For exactly that reason there is NEVER the situation of a total power loss for a longer period.

No, practically all modern ships have one main switchboard that can be separated into two. Each half of the switchboard feeds every single load on the ship (for a cruise ship), but only the breaker from one switchboard is closed at a time.  If there is a fault on one half of the switchboard, they can separate the two halves, and power everything from one half switchboard, though only half of the generators and half of the major demands (propulsion, thrusters, AC) will be available.  The two switchboard halves are joined together 99.99% of the time.  About the only time the two switchboards halves are separated is if there is a fault on the switchboard half, or in the shipyard when they are servicing the switchboard. Even in this situation on the Prima, when the first generator came back on line, it fed both switchboardhalves at the same time.

The short duration of total power loss is due to the emergency generator, and the standby main generator being ready to start and supply power.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, COcruise said:

Just a tad scary but I know there are backup generators etc.

Just to be clear, there are no "backup" generators.  The emergency generator is designed to provide power to only those systems that are needed to abandon the ship (the systems I mentioned in my first post).  There may or may not be a main generator in standby (one may be down for maintenance, or they may be running them all at the time of the blackout.  Typically, when one generator drags the others down and causes a blackout, the other generators are still running, and only need to have the alarm cleared and they will synchronize themselves back on the switchboard, and restore power within minutes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/18/2023 at 4:28 PM, ontheweb said:

But you have to understand that there are posters who enjoy criticizing the Prima at every available opportunity. 🤦‍♂️

this simply isn’t true.

i have never seen this and i’m reading the same prima threads that you do.

these people are sharing their truth. it’s no different than the prima fan boys and fan girls sharing their truth. in fact, most of the favorable reviews of the prima mention the very same flaws that the negative reviews do.

there is, however, a contingent of folks who consistently like to bash others who find fault with their preferred ship, including the prima. they seem unwilling to accept that different people can have different experiences on the very same ship, even the very same cruise. so they mock and cajole and criticize those who are simply relating their actual experiences simply because those experiences differ from their own.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, UKstages said:

this simply isn’t true.

i have never seen this and i’m reading the same prima threads that you do.

these people are sharing their truth. it’s no different than the prima fan boys and fan girls sharing their truth. in fact, most of the favorable reviews of the prima mention the very same flaws that the negative reviews do.

there is, however, a contingent of folks who consistently like to bash others who find fault with their preferred ship, including the prima. they seem unwilling to accept that different people can have different experiences on the very same ship, even the very same cruise. so they mock and cajole and criticize those who are simply relating their actual experiences simply because those experiences differ from their own.

Whatever, I find those of us who enjoyed our Prima cruises are totally mocked.

Looking back at my posts, since you have called me a "Prima fan boy", you will see that I felt sorry for your negative experiences with this ship.

sailed the Prima exactly 1 year ago in a haven penthouse on deck 12. Never knew when we could use elevators or use the lights or TV in our cabin. This happened every day of the cruise. Frequent power failures thru out the ship. Never had this happen on any other of my 27 NCL cruises. 

• Haha 1