Solo Traveler Puerta Maya to San Miguel

PammyMouse

Hi everyone,

I'm (F) cruising solo on Princess and porting in Cozumel for the second time.  I would really like to see the Museum in San Miguel, and walk around the town a little bit.  The last time I was there I did a taco tasting tour by bicycle from International Pier to San Miguel that was cut short due to heavy rain and thunder.  I'd love to do something like that again, but most of Princess' tours involve a few hours of beach or snorkeling, and I don't really enjoy that.

I have a couple of questions:

For a taxi: would I be alone or would I get in a van with others going to San Miguel?  

To return, where is a good place to pick up a taxi in San Miguel? (I am not adverse to walking either- I'm active and do 6-7 mile walks regularly.)

Thanks, 

PM

2 hours ago, PammyMouse said:

Hi everyone,

I'm (F) cruising solo on Princess and porting in Cozumel for the second time.  I would really like to see the Museum in San Miguel, and walk around the town a little bit.  The last time I was there I did a taco tasting tour by bicycle from International Pier to San Miguel that was cut short due to heavy rain and thunder.  I'd love to do something like that again, but most of Princess' tours involve a few hours of beach or snorkeling, and I don't really enjoy that.

I have a couple of questions:

For a taxi: would I be alone or would I get in a van with others going to San Miguel?  

To return, where is a good place to pick up a taxi in San Miguel? (I am not adverse to walking either- I'm active and do 6-7 mile walks regularly.)

Thanks, 

PM

It is highly likely you will be in a shared van from port to town. If in doubt ask amongst people waiting in line at dispatch if if you can share. If all else fails I wouldn’t have a problem with a solo taxi - agree price before you leave and take a photo of taxi number as a safeguard against leaving anything if any one asks.

Walking is also perfectly possible and safe. Stay ocean side. It is about 3 miles biggest problem will be heat depending on time of year. We have done it several times and there will always be taxis passing asking if you want a ride if you change your mind en route. Again verify price and photo.

i am fairly sure you can do taco tour independently or there are electric bike tours but they may start in town?There is a bike hire place just past Park Royal.

• Like 1

I have walked from the cruise terminal all the way into town.  Well, one time I was from the cruise into town.  A second time was  from town to the cruise.  Solo both times.  The first time I had to stop a hotel along the way and buy some water, as I was dehydrated.   Catching a cab at the cruise port is easy.  Catching one back to the cruise port from town is easy as well, there are alot.  There is another cruise terminal, Disney and Virgin were there in the center of town, as well as the Ferry to the mainland.  Lots of taxis.  It was about $10 US each way.  It is about a 2-3 mile walk.  If I were you, I would taxi in to town this way you're not a sweaty mess for your down town cozuml experience, and then enjoy the walk back to the ship.  That is what I plan on doing next week.  There are also plenty of spots along the way to stop for a margarita, or an informal beach to cool off, watch out for the rocks and coral.  I also felt relatively safe the entire time and did not have too much of an issue with people selling me stuff, a friendly no thank you worked fine.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

There's a taxi captain at Puerta Maya who can assist you.   But taxi fare is 95 Mx$ or maybe US$5.50. for 1-4 persons.

Wow, its been a long time since I have got that rate from within the port Crew! Do you have special skills? I know that is the rate outside for non-cruiser specials!

My biggest peeve in Cozumel is charging 4-person rate, per couple, in a shared van on cruise ship days, not sure what they do with solos.

Yes, we went last week and were charged the 1-4 people rate for a couple, alone in a Nissan Versa.  It was $8.  On the way back (as posters have said, plenty of taxis available), we were quoted $10 but didn't argue.  Streets are all torn up for repair in a significant portion down there.

Edited by Cuckoo7

1 hour ago, Cuckoo7 said:

Yes, we went last week and were charged the 1-4 people rate for a couple, alone in a Nissan Versa.  It was $8.  On the way back (as posters have said, plenty of taxis available), we were quoted $10 but didn't argue.  Streets are all torn up for repair in a significant portion down there.

Sounds like you were quoted the correct price, more or less. We generally don’t quibble the $10 and just count it as the included  tip. Taxis in Cozumel are so used to American tourists rounding to $10/$20. 

i get annoyed when they charge 3 couples $8 each, in a shared van ($16 fare) - then they get the $8 no tip.