Ruins: Here or There?

Theosprey247

We haven't done ruins in Belize, but we did Chacchoben with Native Choice in Costa Maya.  I can highly recommend them.  We had 11 people on the van with a guide and driver.  Arrived 20 or 30 minutes before the large ship tours arrived.  Had a good, informative tour with our guide explaining the history of the ruins and the Mayan people. Then stopped at a roadside stand on our way back to the ship and bought the best pineapple that we have ever had.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Belize will have larger ruins depending on which set of ruins you visit.

Chacchoben at Costa Maya is a shorter ride to arrive at the ruins but smaller set of ruins.

Depends on what is more important to you.

In my younger days it was more important for me to take a four hour busride to the larger Uxmal ruins in Mexico. Now in my older years a shorter ride with taking into consideration, terrain issues, for mobility reasons would take precidence. (if you have ANYONE in your group with any kind of walking issues make sure to check on that as all of these ruins are in the middle of the jungle with lots of stones and roots, etc. Very few have been Disney-fied, like Chitzen Itza)

Edited by bguppies
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I will echo @bguppies...depends on what you are looking for.  Take a look at the information for each of the sites and see which appeals to you.  When in Belize I found that Lamanai looked REALLY interesting.  But, it required a 1hr bus ride followed by a 1hr boat ride to reach.  We LOVED it (the journey, the guide, the ruins, the meal, all of it).  However, that's too much for a lot of people.  Costa Maya ruins will certainly be more accessible than Belize, but there are shorter trips in Belize vs. the one we did.  Side note, for the Lamanai trip, we booked through the ship and were glad we did as we were the last tender back--it would have cut too close for my comfort for a third party.  Chacchoben with Native Choice however is only about a 4hr excursion on a (typically) 8-9 port day and an easy option to save over the cruise lines (who I have heard use them anyway!)  

BELIZE has the Best ruins you can visit on a cruise.  Go to Xunantunich or Lamanai.  Its 2 hours each way but the tour guides are constantly talking, giving you info on way of life, history, politics of country, all very fascinating.  

LamanaiDSCF2491.jpg