Silver Moon: Late Dec., Jan. Sailing Challenges/Questions??

TLCOhio

7 hours ago, Charli001 said:

Today is Thursday 25 Jan in Australia and still no update from SS, I am also booked on the 11 Feb cruise from Mumbai to Singapore. Last conversation I had with my consultant at SS was 16 Jan and was advised to book 3 nights accommodation myself in Mumbai from 11 Feb to 14 and my consultant would try and reimburse me for the hotel booking. I was scheduled to fly into Dubai for the 26 Jan Sailing and had to change flights to fly into Mumbai. The whole thing has been handled very badly, I’m wondering if it is because I booked port-to-port. Has anyone in Australia experienced anything similar. Please let me know.

Charli001

Do not book the hotel yourself. The three nights are being booked by Silversea for all passengers in place of your ship cabin.  P2P is irrelevant at this stage.

In a much smaller way, last year we had a day on land before boarding the ship at night.  Silversea organised tours for that day, including lunch.  The buses were fuller than the usual shore excursions, but the tours were excellent.  That night, dinner with wine/beer was at a well rated restaurant.

Don’t sit back and wait.  Your rep sounds pretty slack.  Phone him every day until he realises he needs to keep you informed.

• Like 1

Thank you for this information. I have left a message on voicemail also emailed my rep. I have heard nothing from SS re SS booking hotels or haven’t heard about boarding or sailing dates apart from what I get on this  website. Would appreciate any updates.

Charli001

The Trident may be a nice hotel, but at around $230 per night does not equate to missing 3 nights of a luxury cruise.  Even with food, this is not a comparable 'swap.'  Has SS offered any other compensation?

• Like 1

As I said Silversea decreased the price of our Singapore Mumbai 2025 cruise for new (and old) when they shortened it by 2 days and we got an extra 15% off if we didn't cancel. Though they wouldn't put us up at a hotel. But the discount worth far more than the hotel stays.

We have now heard from our Travel Agent.  SS is using two hotels, the Taj Mahal and The Trident. (Checked MySilverseas and we are booked into the Trident).  We were advised that this is on a full board basis, so unlikely we will be using external restaurants, we were also advised that there is a "drinks package" in place.  Don't know what this includes, we'll find out in due course I expect.

Don't book your own hotel, SS are booking everyone in.  Try checking your Booking Details on your MySilverseas, that's where our booking was noted.

We were also told that they believed Silverseas were transferring all our booked shore excursions to the new date of arrival in any particular port.

I appreciate that pound for pound, the arrangements probably don't meet the cruise price, but I think Silverseas are doing their best in very difficult circumstances.  I'm happy with their plans and really looking forward to the journey.

• Like 2

As other have suggested an extra three days in Mumbai t is not comparable to being on a luxury cruise ship. It would appear ss are not offering compensation. I am waiting to see the finer detail, as they say devil in detail. What is the food and beverage package ( lets not hope it is not buffet style meals). Previously booked into Oberoi pre cruise now moved to lessor Trident.  Wondering what they are doing about excursions, not only Mumbai but rest of cruise, Mysilversea shows all my booked ones have been wiped, including where ship matches original voyage. What is unforgiveable is the lack of communication. To me luxury is the whole package , it does not stop and finish on the ship. I will make best of trip and enjoy the fight with SS on some form of discount.

5 hours ago, The Dog Fosterer said:

We have now heard from our Travel Agent.  SS is using two hotels, the Taj Mahal and The Trident. (Checked MySilverseas and we are booked into the Trident).  We were advised that this is on a full board basis, so unlikely we will be using external restaurants, we were also advised that there is a "drinks package" in place.  Don't know what this includes, we'll find out in due course I expect.

Don't book your own hotel, SS are booking everyone in.  Try checking your Booking Details on your MySilverseas, that's where our booking was noted.

Appreciate these added details that focus on the Taj Mahal (I assume in their more tourist-focused "Tower") and at the Trident hotel.  As of this morning here in the U.S., our MySilversea is still showing "17 days" till our cruise starts in Mumbai and not allowing us to book and update excursions.  

Nothing showing for hotels and/or any other details as to the offerings for these three days of promised Silversea "luxury" in Mumbai.  No added emails or updates this morning after Tuesday's initial notification.  

Are we back into the Simon & Garfunkel "Sounds of Silence" zone?

Assume that Silversea is still playing "catch up" to finalize many details, options.  But, how long should we wait and be patient to learn the details and have the SS system up and back working properly for excursions?  We leave Feb. 5 for our private, pre-cruise tour of the "Golden Triangle".  Others depart sooner for India.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

1 minute ago, TLCOhio said:

Appreciate these added details that focus on the Taj Mahal (I assume in their more tourist-focused "Tower") and at the Trident hotel.  As of this morning here in the U.S., our MySilversea is still showing "17 days" till our cruise starts in Mumbai and not allowing us to book and update excursions.  

Nothing showing for hotels and/or any other details as to the offerings for these three days of promised Silversea "luxury" in Mumbai.  No added emails or updates this morning after Tuesday's initial notification.  

Are we back into the Simon & Garfunkel "Sounds of Silence" zone?

Assume that Silversea is still playing "catch up" to finalize many details, options.  But, how long should we wait and be patient to learn the details and have the SS system up and back working properly for excursions?  We leave Feb. 5 for our private, pre-cruise tour of the "Golden Triangle".  Others depart sooner for India.  

terry, if you look in bookings , then booking details you will see hotel allocation, and transfers from hotel to ship. definitely back to "sound of silence",   i emailed by ss rep and haven't even had an acknowledgement. but there is diddly squat we can do but grin and bear. 

14 hours ago, texanaust said:

The Trident may be a nice hotel, but at around $230 per night does not equate to missing 3 nights of a luxury cruise.  Even with food, this is not a comparable 'swap.'  Has SS offered any other compensation?

Great above and other questions as to "value comparison" and "comparable swap" as to what Silversea is now offering to make up for starting this cruise late on Feb. 14.  

Agree by objective standards that both the Taj Mahal Tower and Trident are not quite at the higher level of the Oberoi.  Depending as to when booked and cabin level, I am assuming for rough calculations if you booked in mid June 2023 a Superior Veranda Suite at $14,200 that equals a cost of $789 a day per person.  Or, for rough math and averaging, $1,500 per day per couple.  Some have paid more.  A few, much, much MORE!!  Some like us with previous SS sailing status and booking a lower-level cabin paid less per day.  

What will get in value in Mumbai that is comparable?  I am patience and understanding for these serious challenges to do such a major "re-engineering" for accomplishing a significant portion of this cruise, dealing with the logistics, re-booking tour suppliers, etc.  As expressed earlier, the "details" make the difference.  I am looking forward to being surprised and impressed by the Silversea accommodations, food, tours, beverages, services, etc., in Mumbai.  Am I realistic or too optimistic?  

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 248,212 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1896175-solstice-live-australianzhawaii-many-pix’s-jan-20-feb-3/

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, southend said:

terry, if you look in bookings , then booking details you will see hotel allocation, and transfers from hotel to ship. definitely back to "sound of silence",   i emailed by ss rep and haven't even had an acknowledgement. but there is diddly squat we can do but grin and bear. 

Great above tip from our UK friend southend with going to the "bookings" and then "details" section of MySilversea.  It worked and shows for us having "3n Pre Taj Mahal Hotel" plus the transfer on Feb. 14 from the hotel to the ship's docking location.  

Success!!  We now know a little more.  That's a sign of progress.  

Please do always keep in mind that all your concerns are nothing compared to the misery of all the people (Israeli , habitants of Gaza, People in Ukraine etc…)who are currently suffering  from a war. All of your problems are luxury problems. Sorry but I just like to put things in

perspective. Don’t let anyone take this personal.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, BuenaVista1 said:

Please do always keep in mind that all your concerns are nothing compared to the misery of all the people (Israeli , habitants of Gaza, People in Ukraine etc…)who are currently suffering  from a war. All of your problems are luxury problems. Sorry but I just like to put things in

i think we all can relate to geopolitical situation in the world and the various conflicts not only those you mention, there are other trouble spots in the world like Sudan we don.t know about but me or any others not comparing notes on a trip we have paid 1000's for will prevent further suffering. The old adage there is always someone is worse off is no consolation. 

13 minutes ago, BuenaVista1 said:

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

Great above and other questions as to "value comparison" and "comparable swap" as to what Silversea is now offering to make up for starting this cruise late on Feb. 14.  

Agree by objective standards that both the Taj Mahal Tower and Trident are not quite at the higher level of the Oberoi.  Depending as to when booked and cabin level, I am assuming for rough calculations if you booked in mid June 2023 a Superior Veranda Suite at $14,200 that equals a cost of $789 a day per person.  Or, for rough math and averaging, $1,500 per day per couple.  Some have paid more.  A few, much, much MORE!!  Some like us with previous SS sailing status and booking a lower-level cabin paid less per day.  

What will get in value in Mumbai that is comparable?  I am patience and understanding for these serious challenges to do such a major "re-engineering" for accomplishing a significant portion of this cruise, dealing with the logistics, re-booking tour suppliers, etc.  As expressed earlier, the "details" make the difference.  I am looking forward to being surprised and impressed by the Silversea accommodations, food, tours, beverages, services, etc., in Mumbai.  Am I realistic or too optimistic?  

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 248,212 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1896175-solstice-live-australianzhawaii-many-pix’s-jan-20-feb-3/

Please be realistic and not overly optimistic.  It has been stated this is wedding season in India.  There probably weren’t 300-400 rooms available for three or four consecutive nights at the Oberon!  You know you have confirmed hotel accommodation, meals and tours.  Just let yourselves be surprised by what unfolds when you get there.  No, you probably won’t have the same daily value.  More likely, definitely not.  Remember this is not Silversea’s fault.  They didn’t choose to take the ship the long way round to reach Mumbai.  They could have cancelled the cruise all together, citing the perils of rocket attacks, and left you all to claim on your travel insurance.  

I do hope you have great tours and a good trip overall.

• Like 5

As background for the Taj Mahal Palace five-star, luxury hotel situated next to the Gateway of India in Mumbai. Built in the Indo-Saracenic style, per Wikipedia, it opened in 1903 as the Taj Mahal Hotel and has historically often been known simply as "The Taj". Considered one of the finest hotels in the East going back to the time of the British Raj, the hotel was one of the main targets in the 2008 Mumbai attacks.  The hotel has 560 rooms and 44 suites and employs 1,600 staff. The hotel is made up of two different structures: the Taj Mahal Palace and the Tower, which are historically and architecturally distinct with the six-story Taj Mahal Palace built in 1903 and the 20-story Tower opened in 1972. More from this source include: The original clientele were mainly the Europeans, the Maharajas and the social elites. When it opened in 1903, the Taj Mahal Hotel was the first in India to have electricity, American fans, German elevators, Turkish baths and English butlers.  By 1966, the Taj Mahal Hotel had become neglected and run-down, perhaps as a result of losing the British customers after Indian independence.  The November 2008 terrorist attack at the Taj resulted in 31 deaths.  On August 15, 2010, India's Independence Day, the Taj Mahal Palace was reopened after restoration.  In November 2010, U.S. president Barack Obama became the first foreign head of state to stay at the Taj Mahal Palace after the attacks.  Now, in February 2024, it will be us staying here, too!!  More celebrities at this historic, right?

From Wikipedia, here is a good visual showing the 1903 historic Taj Mahal structure with the newer Tower and the famed Gateway of India next door to the north.  The hotel was the setting for the 2018 film Hotel Mumbai about the attacks, starring Dev Patel and Armie Hammer.

image.thumb.png.db28e4af3dc1b06b543e1e5a603cd51e.png

Per TripAdvisor, this hotel is ranked #40 of 703 hotels in Mumbai and gains a 4.5 (out of 5 score) with an overall "Excellent" rating.  Recent TA reviews in the past month are very, very positive!

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 22,385 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Port Power said:

Please be realistic and not overly optimistic.  It has been stated this is wedding season in India.  There probably weren’t 300-400 rooms available for three or four consecutive nights at the Oberon!  You know you have confirmed hotel accommodation, meals and tours.  Just let yourselves be surprised by what unfolds when you get there.  No, you probably won’t have the same daily value.  More likely, definitely not.  Remember this is not Silversea’s fault.  They didn’t choose to take the ship the long way round to reach Mumbai.  They could have cancelled the cruise all together, citing the perils of rocket attacks, and left you all to claim on your travel insurance.  

I do hope you have great tours and a good trip overall.

I am pragmatic and realistic, there is nothing i can do but accept situation, no other options provided by SSea.  Yes i am going to get my cruise albeit shortened. Whilst i cannot blame SS for geopolitical situation. Ii can express dissatisfaction with value for money. I purchased an expensive product. Unfortunately i find myself in the Trident which isn't comparable with being on board ship or Oberoi (where i was). Therefore  I feel I am bearing the financial /value loss, not SSea. They are inflicting their losses onto me. no doubt they have already invoked their business interruption insurance and  penciled in losses into their tax return  They are multinational corporation with deep pockets. BTW haven't offered any compensation or option to cancel. I cannot afford to lose tens of thousands if i cancel (uk insurance does not cover "not inclined to travel"). If they had cancelled they would have had to refund my costs, which would have given me choices of my own making! 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Port Power said:

Please be realistic and not overly optimistic.  It has been stated this is wedding season in India.  There probably weren’t 300-400 rooms available for three or four consecutive nights at the Oberon!  You know you have confirmed hotel accommodation, meals and tours.  Just let yourselves be surprised by what unfolds when you get there.  I do hope you have great tours and a good trip overall.

YES, appreciate the follow-ups from BOTH Port Power and southend.  We are very positive and flexible to adjust accordingly.  Also, glad that Silversea did not scrub this entire cruise.  

As mentioned, the ship's food, room service, entertainment, bar, etc., staff will be very fully rested and relaxed after doing this twenty plus day circumnavigation of Africa.  They will be excited to see and greet new people ready for a GRAND ADVENTURE.  The ship and rooms will be polished up and very clean.  

Since we booked very early at a lower price (and with only a Vista guarantee), our cost per day is not as high as hitting many others. We are ready to "go with the flow", enjoy the sunshine/warmth compared being in the colder Midwest and love all of the exotic excitement.  

There was some concern raised as to the sad history at the Taj Mahal Palace as to the 2008 terror attack.  But that also happened, too, at the Trident. PLUS, the 1947 India independence "process" was unfortunately very, very bloody as detailed in the book "Freedom at Midnight". See cover below. Last night on TCM (Turner Classic Movies), they played the epic Ghandi movie that documented much of what happened during that challenged "transition" from British rule to the nasty split between India and Pakistan. Lots of history, not all good, for what is now the world's most populated country.

image.thumb.png.504947627be72d23a99be2c4804d91d7.png

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 110,467 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

• Like 1

5 hours ago, southend said:

Ah yes, thanks for your information. I’ve just logged in to my account and have noticed I’ve been allocated the Taj Palace. 

8 hours ago, Port Power said:

They could have cancelled the cruise all together, citing the perils of rocket attacks, and left you all to claim on your travel insurance.  

Actually they could not do this.  Silversea would have had to refund at a minimum and some guests would have preferred this option.  Also travel insurance does not cover ACTS OF WAR-this is stated in the policy wording.  

21 minutes ago, southend said:

Just seen this on Silversea web site, Silver Moon 15th to 28th feb 2024  Cruise from Cochin to Singapore - MO240215S14 | Silversea . are silversea not telling us something

YES or NO!! Very strange and puzzling. That's "our" Mumbai to Singapore cruise and supposedly all cabin levels are now open and available for bookings. But starting on the 15th and in Cochin???? How will that work out for those of us already booked and paid?

Lots of serious questions from Silversea and their Simon & Garfunkel game with the "Sounds of Silence" getting rather old and extremely frustrating.

image.png.d806f2e76c97dec11174c9a0e6495f74.png

THANKS!  Enjoy????  Terry in Ohio

BUT, when you try to move ahead and start a booking, this message pops up on the screen, this shows: 

image.thumb.png.d4580a3a60082cadfb0e2c61a8bf1e17.png

Maybe a goof by the web department at Silversea?

Need "Good News"?  The Silver Moon is now traveling at a speed of 17.2 knots and seems on track to arrive in Cape Town on Feb. 2.  The other blue ship symbol is the Silver Spirit now sailing around in South Africa.  Update from www.cruisemapper.com

image.thumb.png.3a5869e695ce5c23afd088d8a1184dbf.png

• Like 1

Here are a couple of added reactions for what is happening (or not) with the Silversea management in posting such a Cochin to Singapore sailing options.  Is it??: 

Red herring by inept or free-lancing SS web people?  

Or, a back-up plan, if and if?  

But, flying and moving 500+ booked/paid people from Mumbai to Cochin would involve serious logistical challenges.  Plus, dealing with the anger and huge disappointment from those of us who did not sign up for this type of mismanagement.  Silversea can easily make Mumbai by early on the 14th.  Just crank up the sailing speed to 18 or 19 knots.  Cheaper to spend more on the added fuel required than dealing with such a major scheduling change/flip-flop?  

Plus, continuing to look bad by not providing better communications and honesty with Silversea loyal customers?  Other theories or speculation?  Fair or unfair?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

• Like 1