Silver Moon: Late Dec., Jan. Sailing Challenges/Questions??

TLCOhio

Just a thought . . . it strikes me that relatively few people look at Cruise Critic or the FB Silversea site so out of around 600 passengers on the Mumbai-Singapore cruise there might be about 500 passengers blissfully unaware of what is going on.  Until Silversea writes to them.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Charli001 said:

Hi cruise community,

Any suggestions for a great hotel in Mumbai?

Charli001 Sydney

The Taj Mahal Palace is the iconic hotel here.  Not the Tower Wing.  That is for groups, like cruise passengers.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fletcher said:

The Taj Mahal Palace is the iconic hotel here.  Not the Tower Wing.  That is for groups, like cruise passengers.  

Unfortunately fully booked for the 13th, was considering changing our booking to go up to Udaipur first

41 minutes ago, Charli001 said:

Hi cruise community, Any suggestions for a great hotel in Mumbai?   Charli001 Sydney

As noted by super savvy Fletcher, the Taj Mahal Palace has a great historic location/tradition, but there will much connected with Silversea travelers tied in with and at the Oberoi Mumbai. Also to consider are ITC Grand Central, JW Marriott, Leela, etc.

Many options, but February is a busy, busy month with many wedding done this month that impacts/limits availabilities. 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

14 hours ago, Downunder55 said:

Unfortunately fully booked for the 13th, was considering changing our booking to go up to Udaipur first

As to hotel booking options in Mumbai for Feb. 13, there are many options.  Did checking last night.  Part of the challenge is about location.  What's central and/or best in Mumbai?  Have two bookings near the airport through Marriott on hold now, if and if.  

Double good news on another SS CC thread from both Downunder55 about the Cape Town arrival time being moved up and the southend posted item about Lisa on another site indicating that an official Silversea update will come on Wednesday/Thursday.  

The exact Mumbai arrival time might be either in question and slightly adjusted, but it seems much more likely that the India to Singapore cruise will be happening.  If SS trims out a day or two or three with the initial schedule, they need to make some timing adjustment, plus figure out what types of "compensation" they offered to those booked up and fully paid.  

Hopefully later this week, we will learn more.  My guess is that many on this cruise are not aware of the "drama" being played out now as Silversea figures out its "logistics", timings, adjustments, etc.  

• Like 2

From the Cruise Industry News publication this morning, they had this headline: Silversea Brings Moon Back to Europe, Ship to Sail Around Africa with these highlights: “Silversea Cruises is making more changes to Silver Moon’s schedule.  With no passengers onboard, the Silver Moon is now proceeding to Asia via South Africa and the Cape of Good Hope.   With its upcoming Jan. 26 sailing also cancelled, the Silver Moon is projected to resume its regular cruise schedule on Feb. 11 as the vessel is expected in Mumbai to depart on an 18-night itinerary to Singapore that also includes visits to Sri Lanka, Thailand, and Malaysia.

This is not exactly an "official" announcement from Silversea, but it is getting close and confirming that there is a "plan" that is moving forward in a favorable, understand manner.  

Also, the current Silver Moon is now sailing at a speed of 18 knots, right around what I had projected earlier as needed in order keep things on schedule for our boarding in Mumbai on or around Feb. 11-14.  

Full story at:

https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2024/01/silversea-brings-moon-back-to-europe-ship-to-sail-around-africa/

From www.cruisemapper.com, here is their latest graphic showing the progress in six days for the Silver Moon (circled in red) in going from Athens to Malta and now sailing down the western coast of Africa.:     

image.thumb.png.2d08038acd59f31873c806398e54d300.png

• Like 4

In case you have not heard, Silversea communicated earlier this afternoon about a revised schedule to arrive and depart Mumbai on Feb. 14.  They give us three night of "luxury" in Mumbai and are adjusting as shown below: 

image.thumb.png.353261882f366d82319e26c62865beaf.png

Not a terrible loss to be skipping Trincomalee, plus so far it seems very good as to how Silversea is planning and what is being offered for the three days in Mumbai.  

In the Silversea letter, they commit: "We have arranged 3-night luxury hotel accommodations, reflective of Silversea standards, and enriching and immersive excursions in Mumbai for you to enjoy."

Sounds great, so far. Plus, also meals are to be provided by Silversea. Am I assuming that the alcoholic beverages are to be included, too?

The specifics and "details" make a difference!!

Clearly for 500-600 passengers, scheduled at this late date when Mumbai is already super busy being at the peak of their "wedding season", we all will not be in just one hotel such as the Oberoi or Taj.

As anyone gains added details, please share here.

AND, having tracked the distances and cruise speeds, the Silver Moon being there in Mumbai on the early morning of Feb. 14 seems very probable and possible.

It's great to have the "Sounds of Silence" come back from the dead-zone with highly positive and very hopeful updating.  

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 248,212 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1896175-solstice-live-australianzhawaii-many-pix’s-jan-20-feb-3/

• Like 2

Thank you for the update Terry. We in Australia have not heard about this change from Silverseas in fact we’ve had no communication since the email 14 Jan saying the 26 Jan cruise is cancelled. Are you saying that we arrive in Mumbai 11 Jan for 3 nights there and board Silvermoon on 14 Jan, that would be wonderful. Does anyone else have any news and has anyone is Australia heard about this?? Hope to hear from you soon.

Charli001 Sydney

Interesting that for our shortened cruise in May 2025 and delayed onward cruise they would not put us up in any hotel but gave us OBC on our second cruise  reduced the price by the 2 day per diem amount plus an extra 15% off. The funny thing is that putting us up in a hotel would have cost SS less than that amount. As well we cancelled the second segment.

I wonder why they didn’t give the option of reducing the price of the cruise. Obviously I presume because it could cost more to do that.

43 minutes ago, Charli001 said:

Thank you for the update Terry. We in Australia have not heard about this change from Silverseas in fact we’ve had no communication since the email 14 Jan saying the 26 Jan cruise is cancelled. Are you saying that we arrive in Mumbai 11 Jan for 3 nights there and board Silvermoon on 14 Jan, that would be wonderful. Does anyone else have any news and has anyone is Australia heard about this?? Hope to hear from you soon.  Charli001 Sydney

Sorry that Silversea is so slow in getting the info to those in Australia.  Using Pony Express or US Mails?  Hopefully this summary letter and the follow-up, fuller details will arrive soon!!

YES. the quick summary is that Silversea will have and provide "luxury" hotel rooms, food, tours, etc., starting on Feb. 11.  Then on the morning of Feb. 14, we will be boarding the Silver Moon with a sail-away at 2 pm that afternoon.  

As a minor item/update, this cruise, as shown previously on the My Silversea connection, had only one formal night scheduled. That was going to be on the evening of Feb. 12. Now, late this afternoon, there is still only showing one formal night as listed, that being for Saturday, Feb. 24. Clearly much must be updated and adjusted for the various tours, dining reservations, etc., bookings previously made through the My Silversea booking site.

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 22,385 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

Here is the latest for the Silver Moon location off of the western coast of Africa and moving along at 17.5 knots. Progressing well!!
image.thumb.png.32974ab3cb3d5deb4d7a2ce35b4ed61c.png

Still no contact from Silverseas re Mumbai to Singapore cruise. Has anyone from Australia been contacted re change of plans, when to arrive in Mumbai any news at all would be welcomed.

Charli001 Sydney 

from SSea yesterday " Due to unforeseen geopolitical situations that have constrained Silver Moon’s ability to navigate through the south Red Sea from its previous voyage, the ship had to reposition back to Europe through the Suez Canal and is now circumnavigating Africa in the lead-up to your voyage, regrettably delaying arrival in Mumbai until 14 February 2024.

In light of this, we have arranged 3-night luxury hotel accommodations, reflective of Silversea standards, and enriching and immersive excursions in Mumbai for you to enjoy with embarkation on Silver Moon, now scheduled for 9 a.m., 14 February. Our Destination Management team will communicate in the next few days, update your booking with hotel details, and follow up separately closer to your arrival date with the exciting selection of destination experiences that will be made available to you during your stay in Mumbai. All transfers will be adjusted accordingly. Silversea will provide meals during your stay in Mumbai and will have representatives available to assist you with any needs."     Would appear that the hotel is the Trident. No other details  

Hi There.  I'm new to this chatting, but have been following the thread about the Silver Moon and her progress around Africa.  Firstly, can I say a big thank you to those who have taken the trouble to post updates and changes to the itinerary.  We haven't been contacted directly by Silversea, but having spoken to my travel agent this morning, it would seem they will be getting in touch with those booked through them (Imagine Cruising) by Friday 26th January.  They will be telling us about hotel arrangements etc.  

I have to say I'm sorry for all these events.  Me and my husband seem to attract difficulties with all our holidays.  We had a recent trip to Israel/Egypt/Jordan and commented on how peaceful things felt, well that soon changed.  We had a trip to South America and managed to get ourselves driven around by crooks who took £5K and my jewellery.  The exploits of a Motorhome holiday in Northern France would make for a good comedy film, but difficult to live through at the time.  My friends tend to avoid going places at the same time as us.  So, to you all, I offer my sincere apologies, it is obviously all my fault!!

We have been on the Silver Moon previously, when she was brand spanking new.  She is beautiful.  On this trip though, we have only booked a Vista Suite.  I am hoping that the accommodation they book for us in Mumbai is not on a scale of suite type, as we might end up in the YMCA, or in the room directly above the Night Club. 

I'm sure whatever arrangements they put in place will be perfectly fine. I just really hope I don't miss out on my excursion to the Elephant Orphanage.  That would be sad.  Otherwise, it is a bit like a magical mystery tour and I'm really looking forward to chatting to you in person and hopefully raising a glass or two.  

14 hours ago, Charli001 said:

Thank you for the update Terry. We in Australia have not heard about this change from Silverseas in fact we’ve had no communication since the email 14 Jan saying the 26 Jan cruise is cancelled. Are you saying that we arrive in Mumbai 11 Jan for 3 nights there and board Silvermoon on 14 Jan, that would be wonderful. Does anyone else have any news and has anyone is Australia heard about this?? Hope to hear from you soon.

Charli001 Sydney

You mean you have not heard directly from Silversea?  Other Australians have seen the email from Silversea posted on the other thread 10 hours before your post and advising the new arrangements for the February 11th cruise.  You say you have been advised by Silversea that the January 26th cruise has been cancelled.  Are you on the February 11th cruise as well?  Wow!  That makes booking an airfare extremely difficult.  Sounds like an insurance issue now, although SS will probably offer full refunds.  I hope it works out somehow.

Edited by Port Power

Lots of "catching up" needed by the Silversea folks.  Many people with various arrangements and timings.  Nothing for us this am for the hotel, etc., on the MySilversea website.  On another site, some have found out that they will be at the Trident Hotel that is next door to the Oberoi in Mumbai.  Still no details as to what "meals" to be provided actually means?  Will that be a "buffet" in the hotel ballroom?  Or, choices and options at a variety of first-class local dining stars?  What type of tour options?  Having 40-45 people on one bus?  Or, smaller number on a roomy bus with great guides who connect with us?

Did check on the ship's current position. Looks as if the Silver Moon has stopped . . . to get a "drink", In the port of Dakar, Senegal, along the western coast of Africa. See map/graphic below. Will look more at Trident Hotel. As I posted earlier, for such a large group at such a late booking date for three nights during their busy wedding, etc., season in Mumbai, there will have to be several hotels used by Silversea.  

As always, there will be some very happy with these Mumbai arrangements by Silversea, while others will express opinions and question as to whether these Mumbai offerings will be up to the level of "luxury" promised and expected. What's the saying about "time will tell"?? 

From www.cruisemapper.com:

image.thumb.png.b6da622e1b1a7fb3257c70e10748a873.png

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 73,926 views:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2076101-live-amazon-river-caribbean-many-pix’s-terryohio/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Dog Fosterer said:

Hi There.  I'm new to this chatting, but have been following the thread about the Silver Moon and her progress around Africa.  Firstly, can I say a big thank you to those who have taken the trouble to post updates and changes to the itinerary.  We haven't been contacted directly by Silversea, but having spoken to my travel agent this morning, it would seem they will be getting in touch with those booked through them by Friday 26th January.  They will be telling us about hotel arrangements etc.  

Welcome to The Dog Fosterer.  Don't be shy with any and all questions, comments, etc.  The only "dumb" question is the one you do not ask.  Keep it coming!!

As shown below from Google Maps, the Trident and Oberoi hotels are right next to each other and are across the street from "Sunset Point".  If these two hotels are used by Silversea, it does make the logistics easier and allows the cruise's local staff to be closer together, better coordinated, etc.  

Look forward to learning more details and specifics, especially for what "meals" means and how well are the quality and sizes of groups on a bus for the offered tours.

image.thumb.png.cca52dc03c2e867f46feea940ead4721.png

Athens & Greece: Visuals, details from two visits in a city and nearby with great history, culture and architecture.  Now at 62,019 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

8 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

Welcome to The Dog Fosterer.  Don't be shy with any and all questions, comments, etc.  The only "dumb" question is the one you do not ask.  Keep it coming!!

As shown below from Google Maps, the Trident and Oberoi hotels are right next to each other and are across the street from "Sunset Point".  If these two hotels are used by Silversea, it does make the logistics easier and allows the cruise's local staff to be closer together, better coordinated, etc.  

Look forward to learning more details and specifics, especially for what "meals" means and how well are the quality and sizes of groups on a bus for the offered tours.

image.thumb.png.cca52dc03c2e867f46feea940ead4721.png

Athens & Greece: Visuals, details from two visits in a city and nearby with great history, culture and architecture.  Now at 62,019 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

Hi Terry

Just to let you know that we were originally booked into The Oberoi for 1 night pre cruise but according to My Silversea we have now been moved into the Trident for 4 nights.   In this instance we had fortunately booked 'door to door' for this cruise with Silversea

Today is Thursday 25 Jan in Australia and still no update from SS, I am also booked on the 11 Feb cruise from Mumbai to Singapore. Last conversation I had with my consultant at SS was 16 Jan and was advised to book 3 nights accommodation myself in Mumbai from 11 Feb to 14 and my consultant would try and reimburse me for the hotel booking. I was scheduled to fly into Dubai for the 26 Jan Sailing and had to change flights to fly into Mumbai. The whole thing has been handled very badly, I’m wondering if it is because I booked port-to-port. Has anyone in Australia experienced anything similar. Please let me know.

Charli001

17 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

In case you have not heard, Silversea communicated earlier this afternoon about a revised schedule to arrive and depart Mumbai on Feb. 14.  They give us three night of "luxury" in Mumbai and are adjusting as shown below: 

image.thumb.png.353261882f366d82319e26c62865beaf.png

Not a terrible loss to be skipping Trincomalee, plus so far it seems very good as to how Silversea is planning and what is being offered for the three days in Mumbai.  

In the Silversea letter, they commit: "We have arranged 3-night luxury hotel accommodations, reflective of Silversea standards, and enriching and immersive excursions in Mumbai for you to enjoy."

Sounds great, so far. Plus, also meals are to be provided by Silversea. Am I assuming that the alcoholic beverages are to be included, too?

The specifics and "details" make a difference!!

Clearly for 500-600 passengers, scheduled at this late date when Mumbai is already super busy being at the peak of their "wedding season", we all will not be in just one hotel such as the Oberoi or Taj.

As anyone gains added details, please share here.

AND, having tracked the distances and cruise speeds, the Silver Moon being there in Mumbai on the early morning of Feb. 14 seems very probable and possible.

It's great to have the "Sounds of Silence" come back from the dead-zone with highly positive and very hopeful updating.  

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 248,212 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1896175-solstice-live-australianzhawaii-many-pix’s-jan-20-feb-3/

19 minutes ago, TravelGirl40 said:

Terry, What happened to Monday in the new and revised schedule? 

YES, on that revised schedule, there were some "goofs" as to certain days of the week not matching up to the dates shown.  Clearly, this whole "thing" has been pulled together rather quickly and there are many moving parts to be fine-tuned and fixed.  

In looking at the MySilversea website this morning certain of our scheduled tours have been wiped out.  The starting date for our sail-away has not been updated.  Much is fluid and in-flux.  

In researching a little more, the general reading is that the Trident Hotel does not get quite as high of ratings as the next-door Oberoi.  BUT, much will depend for us as to how Silversea manages the “extras” and details with these two and any other hotels used/provided in Mumbai.  From Wikipedia, here is more about the Trident Nariman Point that is owned and operated by the Trident Hotels division of the Oberoi Group.  The Trident has 35 floors and when completed in 1973, it was the tallest building in South Asia, holding that titlt until 1980.  The hotel opened in 1973 as the Oberoi-Sheraton Hotel. In 2004, it became the Hilton Towers Mumbai.  That Hilton marketing/management connection ended in 2008.  On the night of November 26, 2008, a series of terrorist attacks in Mumbai was launched, including an attack on this hotel. Two terrorists entered the hotel and fired on guests. They took over 143 people hostage and killed at least 32 people during the ensuing 3-day siege.  The National Security Guard two days later shot the terrorists and ended the crisis at the hotel.  

From visuals, the views of Marine Drive and the Mumbai skyline from this hotel can be very interesting.  For what it’s worth, TripAdvisor ranks this Trident as #34 of 701 hotels in Mumbai.  They give it a 4.5 rating as “excellent”.  TA ranks the Oberoi as #5 of 701 hotels in Mumbai and gives it a 5.0 “excellent” rating.  In recent comments by those staying there, both hotels gain very high reviews and many positives.  Both are very close to a number of key attractions including various dining options and the Gateway of India (0.9 miles away).

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 55,586 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

I think SS is doing a decent job on this one. Better than what we got for our 1/6 Moon .  We stayed once at the Oberoi there and had a drink at the Trident which is basically attached and it is a nice property