Silver Moon: Late Dec., Jan. Sailing Challenges/Questions??

TLCOhio

Helpfully from LcruiCruise1963 on another CC SS thread, this update was just posted: "Really appreciate the updates. Your posting helped tremendously.  I spoke with a rep from SS this morning and she told me Jan 26th is canceled and information will go to customers with options on Monday. Thanks to all for the great posts."

Keep up the great sharing in dealing with these challenging situations and conditions.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

45 minutes ago, wyocruiser said:

Just received the official email. The January 26 cruise is canceled. Only offer is 20% off a future cruise.

That is pretty lousy for cancelling 12 days out.  I hope you contact someone higher up at SS and let them know your feelings.  

Just got the news from SS 26 Jan cruise cancelled, not a lot of clarity in the email. I’m doing a back-to-back Dubai to Mumbai then onto Singapore not sure if the Mumbai to Singapore is cancelled as well. Does anyone else know. Would appreciate thoughts from anyone in the same situation.

Charli001

Not in that situation but with the Moon going from Athens and around the Cape of Good Hope to Mumbai it should reach there before February 11th to start the cruise to Singapore.

We had notification this morning our Doha to Muscat cruise starting 1st Feb has been cancelled. Shame, we were celebrating three big occasions during the cruise!

We’ve had an email from our travel agent in the UK to tell us the cruise part of our holiday (Doha to Mumbai) is cancelled. It was part of a package holiday including a couple of nights in Doha and a land tour of the Golden Triangle in India - we are so disappointed as it would have been our first time on Silversea.

Apparently they are contacting us by Friday to try and give us some options. So fingers crossed they come up with an alternative for us.

2 minutes ago, Notts1964 said:

We’ve had an email from our travel agent in the UK to tell us the cruise part of our holiday (Doha to Mumbai) is cancelled. It was part of a package holiday including a couple of nights in Doha and a land tour of the Golden Triangle in India - we are so disappointed as it would have been our first time on Silversea.  Apparently they are contacting us by Friday to try and give us some options. So fingers crossed they come up with an alternative for us.

Appreciate, but am so sorry to hear, with these follow-ups for the cancellations of the various Doha/Dubai cruises.  From www.cruisemapper.com below shows the Silver Moon just now departing the Suez Canal and assumingly now going north to Athens.    

image.thumb.png.6fde1bae12fea9480d55f2407dae6317.png

Keep us posted from those on the Silver Moon and others affected as what else Silversea is saying and doing to provide options/compensation, make additional arrangements, etc.  

Agree and hope that Dr. Ron is correct with his summary of "Moon going from Athens and around the Cape of Good Hope to Mumbai it should reach there before February 11th to start the cruise to Singapore."

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Skyhigh said:

Just exited the Suez Canal. Definitely an interesting trip, and a small consolation for missing the other ports (in some cases twice!)

YES, it is very unfortunate that you have had the originally-promised stop for Luxor scrubbed out TWICE.  We feel so fortunate during our late 2018 Middle East cruise that we had two days and an overnight stay in Luxor.  It is such a world-class historic site there on the amazing Nile River.  

Appreciate so much your follow-ups and postings.  Refresh my memory as to roughly how many are sailing on the Silver Moon now and what Silversea is saying, handling future adjusted flight schedules, etc.  

Good luck in dealing with these challenges.  

On 10/20/2023 at 1:06 PM, TLCOhio said:

For us, we are scheduled to board the Silver Moon on Feb. 11, 2024, in Mumbai after, hopefully, this ship navigates all over these various Middle East ports.  We will be following with interest in the coming weeks to see that the Silver Moon and passengers can make it safely to India.   

Fingers crossed. Amazing you started this thread months ago.

27 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Fingers crossed. Amazing you started this thread months ago.

Yes, our fingers need to be crossed for all involved.  It was nearly three months ago when I first started this thread and was raising serious questions as to how the Silver Moon managed to make safe transitions in late January 2024.  

Initially, I was more worried about the Suez Canal.  Fortunately, that has not been as big of an issue or question  BUT, the southern part of the Red Sea has literally "blown up"!!  Sadly!!

As of this morning, the Silversea website shows this cruise being open for booking: 

image.thumb.png.650a0f6158580ab1c90fd11746a04b43.png

However, when you click on the golden button to book, this message pops up: 

image.thumb.png.ff8c7bca8357e91872ace3454a4931af.png

Hopefully in the next few days, maybe longer given that Monday is the MLK holiday here in the US, Silversea will be updating and communicating their plans and schedules during the next few weeks.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, texanaust said:

That is pretty lousy for cancelling 12 days out.  I hope you contact someone higher up at SS and let them know your feelings.  

I also feel 20% is inappropriate. Any idea what dept I should try to contact at SS?

2 hours ago, wyocruiser said:

I also feel 20% is inappropriate. Any idea what dept I should try to contact at SS?

Agree that the 20% might not be best, fair and/or appropriate, depending on each traveler's circumstances and challenges.  As to places to follow-up, here are two initial options: 

GuestRelations@silversea.com

GuestRelationsUK@silversea.com

It might depends as to where in the world you are located.  What's your home/nation location?  

You also try to reach the Silversea CEO who is based in Monaco.  I think one of her email is:

BarbaraM@silversea.com

BMuckerman@silversea.com

BMuckermann@silversea.com

From www.cruisemapper.com late this afternoon, here is what they are showing as to the Silver Moon's current location (with this SS ship circled below in red): 

image.thumb.png.97ac521c434ab798a15f4b9e50c760e8.png

From this website, they have Piraeus-Athens as the destination with an ETA of January 16, 02:00 and a current speed of 19 kn / 35 km/h.

Any other updates and/or added information?

• Like 1

Thanks for the info TLCOhio! I live in the US. I was surprised by the response from SS because I had a Celebrity cruise canceled midway through the cruise. We were given a full refund including independent-booked air plus 50% toward a future cruise along with OBC. Celebrity gained a lot of loyal customers due to how they handled the situation. 

40 minutes ago, wyocruiser said:

Thanks for the info TLCOhio! I live in the US. I was surprised by the response from SS because I had a Celebrity cruise canceled midway through the cruise. We were given a full refund including independent-booked air plus 50% toward a future cruise along with OBC. Celebrity gained a lot of loyal customers due to how they handled the situation. 

Good luck in your efforts to get things worked out.  Legitimately, Silversea could have handled this much, much better, improved their communications, been more open and shown a higher level of responsiveness.  BUT, in fairness, this is a very unique and totally difficult circumstance that no one could have accurately predicted.  Just like with Covid, the cruise lines were sailing into uncharted waters with heavy winds blowing both ways.  

As noted earlier, I thought that the Suez Canal would be the highest danger zone for the Silver Moon.  Things changed!!!!  My guessing and speculations were wrong at that point for the high-risk territory .  

Be patience and reasonable.  Be hopeful!!  Silversea has lots and lots to adjust and fix for several thousand people, passengers and staff.  Plus, re-routing logistics and suppliers, etc.   Ideally, they will improve their offering, options and communications in the next few days.  

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 22,363 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

14 hours ago, wyocruiser said:

I hope your cruise isn’t affected!! You’ll have to keep us updated!

You asked.  Here goes.  As of this morning, the Silver Moon is headed to Athens and due to arrive there in seventeen hours.  Due there per www.cruisemapper.com at 2 am tomorrow morning.  Below is the graphic for the ship's current position.  Getting close to Athens and seems on schedule.

image.thumb.png.9a83b5eefeeaed51ee207bf7230e8a1d.png

In just checking the Silversea website this morning, all of the previous Silver Moon cruises have been scrubbed off of their website for Dubai, Doha, Muscat, etc.  The first available cruise showing now is Mumbai to Singapore, February 11-29.  Sounds good, maybe??  BUT, Silversea has not yet officially announced that they are sailing westbound without passengers from Athens in the Med, going down the west coast of Africa, circling South Africa and heading directly to Mumbai.  That probable plan seems highly likely, but nothing official has been confirmed by Silversea.

Our February 11-29 cruise is all solid-out and wait-listed except for one remaining Silver Suite.   We have booked and paid for a February 5-11 private tour of the India Golden Triangle of Delhi, Agre and Jaipur.  All flights are booked and confirmed.  BUT, we have considered some options as to if and how Silversea makes timing changes for this scheduled cruise.  

Does this help?  Look forward to hearing from those currently on the Silver Moon as to what ship officers there are saying or sharing.  

Athens & Greece: Visuals, details from two visits in a city and nearby with great history, culture and architecture.  Now at 61,775 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

• Like 3

A little research by my other half I’ve added below!

As a future cruiser on Silver Moon I have been following with interest the progresss over the last fortnight. It now appears likely that Silver Moon will be repositioning Athens to Mumbai around the Cape.  
A little bit of research I have done might shed some light on the logistical issues surrounding Silver Moon repositioning .   Assuming a 1200 departure 16 Jan and an early morning arrival 0200 on 11 February in Mumbai, that is 25 days, 10 hours or 610 Hours (including time zone changes)
Usings Ports.com website it calculates the Sea route · Port of Pereaus to Walvis Bay, Namibia: 6928 nautical miles. (A midpoint stop) and Walvis Bay, Namibia: Port of Mumbai, India 6322 nautical miles.  Total distance 13250
13250nm in 610 hours requires an average speed of 21.7kts.
Fincantieri the shipbuilder website quotes a service speed of 17 Kts with a max speed of abt. 21.0 kts. Therefore, it will be a real challenge to get to Mumbai for the cruise to Singapore departing even without additional stops for fuel. At an average 17kts it would take 32 days.  
These non expert calculations demonstrate the considerable challenges for Silversea staff.    There will doubtless be many other factors needed to be considered but a little patience will be required for an achievable plan to be agreed with all agencies before they can inform guests.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, sammyboots said:

A little research by my other half I’ve added below!  As a future cruiser on Silver Moon I have been following with interest the progresss over the last fortnight. It now appears likely that Silver Moon will be repositioning Athens to Mumbai around the Cape.  A little bit of research I have done might shed some light on the logistical issues surrounding Silver Moon repositioning .   Assuming a 1200 departure 16 Jan and an early morning arrival 0200 on 11 February in Mumbai, that is 25 days, 10 hours or 610 Hours (including time zone changes)   Usings Ports.com website it calculates the Sea route · Port of Pereaus to Walvis Bay, Namibia: 6928 nautical miles. (A midpoint stop) and Walvis Bay, Namibia: Port of Mumbai, India 6322 nautical miles.  Total distance 13250.   13250nm in 610 hours requires an average speed of 21.7kts.  Fincantieri the shipbuilder website quotes a service speed of 17 Kts with a max speed of abt. 21.0 kts. Therefore, it will be a real challenge to get to Mumbai for the cruise to Singapore departing even without additional stops for fuel. At an average 17kts it would take 32 days.  
These non expert calculations demonstrate the considerable challenges for Silversea staff.    There will doubtless be many other factors needed to be considered but a little patience will be required for an achievable plan to be agreed with all agencies before they can inform guests.

Appreciate this excellent research and follow-up from our friends in the UK.  Agree that it is tight and questionable as to how this circumnavigation of Africa can be accomplished in limited time.  Earlier, my very rough guess is that it would take 25 days to accomplish such a sailing.  That estimate of "Total distance 13250. 13250nm in 610 hours requires an average speed of 21.7kts" could be correct. 

Clearly the "logistics" for re-fueling, crew arrangements, etc., require some serious planning and preparations.  

Our TA has been bugging Silversea folks for more information and I expect to hear and learn more by the middle of this week.  

Excellent point by Kauaijim as to: "A lot of fuel burned with no revenue. Airlines can swap planes can SS swap ships?"    Clearly, cruise lines cannot "flip" and/or move ships as to how the airlines can do that . . . QUICKLY and easily!!

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 55,586 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

8 minutes ago, Kauaijim said:

A lot of fuel burned with no revenue. Airlines can swap planes can SS swap ships ? 

I think it has been mentioned about Silver Moon swapping itineraries with one of the other ships but one of the issues I could see would be, what does the Silver Moon do for the next four months until the weather improves in the Med? I’m not sure what itineraries would be attractive in that region until later April? 

11 hours ago, sammyboots said:

I think it has been mentioned about Silver Moon swapping itineraries with one of the other ships but one of the issues I could see would be, what does the Silver Moon do for the next four months until the weather improves in the Med? I’m not sure what itineraries would be attractive in that region until later April? 

Great above analysis from our UK friend.  Keep it coming with your insights.  The Silver Moon has arrived in Athens' nearby port.  See below.  

Good luck and safe travels for all involved.  Look forward to hearing any and all updates and details from those who are soon departing the Silver Moon.

Plus, we await official announcements from Silversea as to where and how the Silver Moon catches up for its upcoming, scheduled sailings.  

From www.cruisemapper.com

image.thumb.png.be799274bd8e789221eb7d1bfcb7c857.png

• Like 1

Spoke with SS this afternoon and told Silvermoon will not be arriving in Mumbai on 11 Feb, possibly 14 Feb but nothing confirmed.  Would like to hear from anyone who has any updates.

Charli001 Sydney