Those tankless toilet seats

Hello Again,

Okay....I don't think I have found a thread that addresses this.  Roughly 10 years ago my paraplegic husband and I sailed on the Celebrity Silhouette and he was thrilled that he was able to, as a paraplegic enjoy cruising.  The hardest part for him was the tankless toilet.  He doesn't normally transfer laterally to the commode seat.  He launches forward, facing the wall.  On a normal toilet, the tank adds some length for his very long legs, but on the tankless toilets, his knees slam into the wall.  So he was forced to perform the typical lateral transfer, which was very difficult for him due to deterioration of his shoulders.  10 years later his shoulders are wearing out and a lateral transfer will not be possible.  He is a big man (he'd be about 6'3" if he was able to stand).  So, we manage at home with standard commode and grab bars on both sides and behind the tank.  We are planning two transatlantic trips and a month in Portugal in between in 2025 and I have been looking for an assistive device that we could take with us. I think I have found a split seat transfer lift that looks a little like a wheel chair that has the split seat.  The hope would be that it could be rolled up (with him in it) over the toilet so that he is facing forward, away from the wall.  It weighs 62 pounds and looks a little bigger than a shower chair that the cruise line might provide.  Basically it would serve like a toilet seat over the toilet.  Does anybody know if we would even be permitted to bring something like this on board?

Untitled.jpg

Are you going to be on Celebrity this time?   

If so, you definitely need to contact Celebrity's Access Department at (954) 628-9708 or send an e-mail to special_needs@celebrity.com.   They will need to be advised of his condition in any event.  

If you're going to be on another cruise line, you need to contact that company's Access Department.

If you are interested, you might contact either Scootaround.com or SpecialNeedsatSea.com and inquire whether they have something like this to rent.  It would be delivered to your stateroom.  

I'm sure there are others on this board with personal knowledge who can speak about toilet assistive devices.  

PS:   Commodore cruiselines??!!    We sailed with them in 1999 out of New Orleans on the Enchanted Isle.

What about a portable commode, the type that can be moved, like a walker, with the, er, seat/etc., in the middle, and arms that can be used like handles.

These are sometimes used in hospitals so a patient doesn't have to walk all the way to their bathroom.  It can be positioned right next to the bed. Certainly better than a bedpan, for patients who can get out of bed at least a bit.

Something like this:

https://www.shopjourney.com/products/journey-softsecure-3-in-1-commode-chair?variant=41007078309971&num=8884101295&gclid=CjwKCAjw7c2pBhAZEiwA88pOF4d-1QPzVYx7VLJuZZe9SW8XQs5Fw8HU5Cfl6u5NjBjdyTcBq9TLwhoCldwQAvD_BwE

I'd guess that the same places that rent wheelchairs and hospital beds and lifts, etc., handle these.  I'm assuming that you'd need to do all of the cleaning, unless you are bringing an aide with you.  But everything should be able to be flushed, I'd think.  Then just clean out the commode for the next use.

Would that work?

(Sorry if I've misunderstood the type of need!)

GC

Okay, I think I have determined that YES, I can bring this onboard.  It does break into two pieces if necessary, but the most important criteria appears to be "do you have a place in your cabin to store it".  And YES, we do.  Inside the shower when not in use.  (in case anybody else has wondered about this)

On 10/21/2023 at 4:06 PM, kokopelli-az said:

Are you going to be on Celebrity this time?   

If so, you definitely need to contact Celebrity's Access Department at (954) 628-9708 or send an e-mail to special_needs@celebrity.com.   They will need to be advised of his condition in any event.  

If you're going to be on another cruise line, you need to contact that company's Access Department.

If you are interested, you might contact either Scootaround.com or SpecialNeedsatSea.com and inquire whether they have something like this to rent.  It would be delivered to your stateroom.  

I'm sure there are others on this board with personal knowledge who can speak about toilet assistive devices.  

PS:   Commodore cruiselines??!!    We sailed with them in 1999 out of New Orleans on the Enchanted Isle.

I haven't figured out which Cruise line yet.  I would LOVE IT if it was Celebrity, but their 2025 schedule does not appear to be published yet.  And yes, Commodore (MS Caribe....blush...guess how old I am).  BUT, I can top that with having sailed on my first cruise aboard the Britanis.  

I'll really want to take this assistive devise with us because the plan is to stay in Europe for a month-ish and then sale back via the QM2 (it appears).  So I figure it would be very comforting to have this "cart" for the duration of our travels. 

Edited by HopefulCruiser123
more details