I'm Stunned by the Price of an Upper Suite on a Three Night Cruise on Ascent...

Georgia_Peaches

43 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

The prices were totals for 2 people for three nights.  So $1216 pp/per night for the RS and and $1500 PP/PN for the Loft Suite.  When we had a RS on S class earlier this year we paid $630 PP/PN for a 7 night cruise in a Royal suite.  Granted the differences between the 2 comparisons are vast.  S class is older and with no Retreat set up like E class...we were on a much older ship, better entertainment on E, and on and on.  

When I originally made this post it was before we had any experience on E class.  Now that we are back from Ascent, I completely understand why some folks pay the prices Celebrity are asking...especially for the upper suites.  We didn't experience the superb service that others are reporting from Ascent while in the Retreat so to that end, I'm glad we didn't pay any more than we did for our Sky suite. And perhaps it's due to the fact that it was only for three nights...maybe we need a bigger sample size of cruising nights just to be fair. 

What I found during the time we were in the Retreat was that there really wasn't anything to distinguish SS guests from Iconic suite guests...particularly on the sun deck.  Therefore, snail slow drink service for us was the same snail slow drink service for the guests lounging next to us...who were in an upper suite.  Again, I'm not knocking the experience.  We had a lovely time in the Retreat.  Our experience compared to some who have reported something completely different only serves to prove my point that the E class Retreat has increased it's passenger capacity while keeping it's staff capacity relatively the same...someone somewhere is going to suffer.  

Anyway, please pardon my very long winded response to your question.

I appreciate it, and good detail. Thank you.

IMO, the per night price is about right. Top suites in top hotels/resorts match Celebrity's top Edge class suite (IC, EV, PH) per night pricing.

With a sailing, you also get meals and transportation, plus entertainment and the "resort" access, even if in an inside cabin.

That's nice.

I don't believe Celebrity is out of line with their pricing. They know who they want to attract.

If their pricing wasn't painful, everyone would try to buy it, just like every other discretionary purchase.

Many people might like a Bentley. Some would berate them for charging so much that they can't afford it. Bentley simply has their known demographic for which they sell.

My experience in Iconics and EVs is superb. Butlers brought me drinks on my balconies every time. Nothing was too much. I ate full breakfasts every morning at my dining tables, and with coffee service delivered from al Baccio. So much more. I have handled everything via my butlers who never dropped the ball.

Just pointing out my experience. I've got 30+ nights in Iconics slated for 2025, I like it so much.

Skipping Celebrity for my 2024 itineraries, but only to access points beyond Celebrity's reach.

They know what they're doing. I like it.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, buncosquad said:

I don't believe Celebrity is out of line with their pricing. They know who they want to attract.

I'm glad to know that the service in those upper suites was on point...at those price points, it should be...lol. While I love nice things, I don't have the cruising budget to pay what they are asking for the amount of times per year that we cruise.  But an interesting observation we made while in the Retreat was the age demographic was, by and large retirement age and beyond while the age demographic outside the Retreat was definitely younger...thirties/forties...perhaps they will graduate to the Retreat at some point as their income levels increase.  Celebrity seems to have the E class sweet spot figured out and has offered a really nice experience across all price points.  That's a good thing!

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I'm glad to know that the service in those upper suites was on point...at those price points, it should be...lol. While I love nice things, I don't have the cruising budget to pay what they are asking for the amount of times per year that we cruise.  But an interesting observation we made while in the Retreat was the age demographic was, by and large retirement age and beyond while the age demographic outside the Retreat was definitely younger...thirties/forties...perhaps they will graduate to the Retreat at some point as their income levels increase.  Celebrity seems to have the E class sweet spot figured out and has offered a really nice experience across all price points.  That's a good thing!

Perhaps they need to consider a meaningful "senior" discount.  😉  lol

Tom

On 11/30/2023 at 4:21 PM, buncosquad said:

IMO, the per night price is about right. Top suites in top hotels/resorts match Celebrity's top Edge class suite (IC, EV, PH) per night pricing.

With a sailing, you also get meals and transportation, plus entertainment and the "resort" access, even if in an inside cabin.

Just pointing out my experience. I've got 30+ nights in Iconics slated for 2025, I like it so much.

hey know what they're doing. I like it.

Curious what transportation you are referring too? We love EV's and the IC, but have no plans to book either or any other suite on X until prices come down. My expectations for our Jan/Feb cruise in an IC are pretty low given that S class ships now only have 2 dedicated butlers for all PH, RS and CS suites. If the butler RIF on Edge class ships is similar then I don't see the ability to provide the service that they have in the past. Time will tell and we will post our experiences. Hoping I am wrong

We prefer the S and M class ships. Don't care much for the layout on E ships, the IC and EV are about the only things we enjoy on E ships.

For the money X spent on furniture for the Retreat Lounge on E class ships I would have expected all 4 legs on the couches to be the same length 🙂 (joke for those who may not get it)........Seriously though the recline on the couches is not comfortable at all.

Cheers

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Joker54 said:

Curious what transportation you are referring too? We love EV's and the IC, but have no plans to book either or any other suite on X until prices come down. My expectations for our Jan/Feb cruise in an IC are pretty low given that S class ships now only have 2 dedicated butlers for all PH, RS and CS suites. If the butler RIF on Edge class ships is similar then I don't see the ability to provide the service that they have in the past. Time will tell and we will post our experiences. Hoping I am wrong

We prefer the S and M class ships. Don't care much for the layout on E ships, the IC and EV are about the only things we enjoy on E ships.

For the money X spent on furniture for the Retreat Lounge on E class ships I would have expected all 4 legs on the couches to be the same length 🙂 (joke for those who may not get it)........Seriously though the recline on the couches is not comfortable at all.

Cheers

Referencing the ship itself as transportation across an itinerary. 

We've only known ICs and EVs (so their newest ships) and was always excellent. 

Never a chair hog on our balconies, and we never used the Retreat deck, except in passing to pick up a delicious drink en route to walk around the top deck.

Did use the Retreat lounge from time to time, also for drinks.

Butler in every case handled every request and question. In fact, they often brought us drinks, too. Never had need to interact with anyone else for anything.

All reservations and asks were on point.

• Like 1