Onboard for Thanksgiving!

CruzerDeb

I was on the Freedom in 2021 for Thanksgiving. Traditional Thanksgiving meal was served in the dining room as well as buffet. Would love to sail over Thanksgiving again some time. Granted it was during COVID so ship was absolutely nowhere near full, but it seemed to be more of a family atmosphere than your average Carnival cruise these days (not as rowdy, didn't smell as much pot).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I was on the Freedom in 2021 for Thanksgiving. Traditional Thanksgiving meal was served in the dining room as well as buffet. Would love to sail over Thanksgiving again some time. Granted it was during COVID so ship was absolutely nowhere near full, but it seemed to be more of a family atmosphere than your average Carnival cruise these days (not as rowdy, didn't smell as much pot).

We were also on Freedom for thanksgiving 2021. So unusual, that in our dining room at 8pm seating, there was 1 child in the whole dining room. Sad that families couldn't be there. Back then, the covid vaccine for kids wasn't available yet. Maybe 2 weeks later.

And for those of you like me who love roast turkey - don't worry, Carnival serves roast turkey on many regular cruises at the buffet carving stations.

I do persist in my strong recommendation for a Thanksgiving cruise if you are able.

• Like 1

We have sailed for both Thanksgiving and Christmas .  Prepare for the ship to be very crowded.  That part doesn't bother me too much, but if you have to fly to port, the airports/flights are a nightmare at the holidays (every plane is packed full), and weather can be an issue/cause delays.  

But I don't mean to be negative, the holiday cruises are very nice (and even with the airport chaos we still have  holiday cruises booked).  It's just good to be prepared for it.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

We sailed last thanksgiving. 

This was our meal. I do know there were complaints on other ships about the meal. It may have been that they ran low and meals didn’t have as much. 

IMG_5058.jpeg

They must be watching their food cost serving that smidgen of Ocean Spray Cranberry Sauce 🙂  We prefer our Carnival Turkey Day at the buffet where we can practically taste the bird with our eyes and request dark or white meat or both. The pressed turkey served in the MDR doesn't compare. 

Panorama Xmas.jpg

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, csm5986142 said:

We have sailed for both Thanksgiving and Christmas .  Prepare for the ship to be very crowded.  That part doesn't bother me too much, but if you have to fly to port, the airports/flights are a nightmare at the holidays (every plane is packed full), and weather can be an issue/cause delays.  

But I don't mean to be negative, the holiday cruises are very nice (and even with the airport chaos we still have  holiday cruises booked).  It's just good to be prepared for it.

Thanks for the heads up! 

3 minutes ago, rainbowflag said:

They must be watching their food cost serving that smidgen of Ocean Spray Cranberry Sauce 🙂  We prefer our Carnival Turkey Day at the buffet where we can practically taste the bird with our eyes and request dark or white meat or both. The pressed turkey served in the MDR doesn't compare. 

Panorama Xmas.jpg

That buffet Turkey looks amazing! Yum!

5 minutes ago, CruzerDeb said:

That buffet Turkey looks amazing! Yum!

It really is and when we take the grandkids we all dress nicely before dinner for our family photos with the ship photographer. Then we surprise the kids by letting them know they can change into their comfortable clothes and join everyone at the buffet 🙂 

Edited by rainbowflag
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, rainbowflag said:

It really is and when we take the grandkids we all dress nicely before dinner for our family photos with the ship photographer. Then we surprise the kids by letting them know they can change into their comfortable clothes and join everyone at the buffet 🙂 

I’m about 50/50 on MDR v buffet, but I must admit that the served meal shown above is a little underwhelming and doesn’t scream Thanksgiving Feast. Imma need a little more on my plate. 😂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CruzerDeb said:

I’m about 50/50 on MDR v buffet, but I must admit that the served meal shown above is a little underwhelming and doesn’t scream Thanksgiving Feast. Imma need a little more on my plate. 😂

Carnival has cut back on portions in the MDR to cut back on waste.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, rainbowflag said:

Panorama Xmas.jpg

I have to admit - I don’t care about Turkey dinner 😂

but I agree that looks like the better option. 
I prefer mashed to sweet potatoes. Not sure what the buffet options are. 
I don’t think I cared for the pice that seems to be dark meat mixed with something. 

also we are Canadian so it wasn’t our Thanksgiving so we didn’t mind. 

Lots of people had big feelings about the portion sizes. There were some posts on here. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CruzerDeb said:

And I’m usually okay with the portions. Truthfully, with the app, main and dessert, it’s hard to finish. 

I agree - I am OK with the smaller portion sizes. If somebody wants more, they can ask for more or go up to the buffet and get all they want.

• Like 1

We cruised last year for Thanksgiving. My husband and I do not care for turkey so we ate at the steakhouse. They also offered to provide us any of the traditional dishes, but we passed. I highly recommend sailing over Thanksgiving. No cooking, no cleaning and no Black Friday shopping! So relaxing!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TN Roz said:

We cruised last year for Thanksgiving. My husband and I do not care for turkey so we ate at the steakhouse. They also offered to provide us any of the traditional dishes, but we passed. I highly recommend sailing over Thanksgiving. No cooking, no cleaning and no Black Friday shopping! So relaxing!

The fun shops onboard have a pretty good "Black Friday" sale as I recall!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, CruzerDeb said:

I’ve already booked our family of 6 on the Vista for 2024

1 hour ago, CruzerDeb said:

Hi @CruzerDeb🙂

Keep in mind, that yummy looking 'WHOLE' turkey in the buffet is just that; a whole turkey that (will not) be on your plate. I wouldn't base your decision on 2 photos out of thousands & thousands of previous Thanksgiving dinners given to passengers in a MDR or buffet onboard a cruise ship.

You have 13 months to decide where you want your Family of 6 to spend Thanksgiving dinner. Focus on the 6 being (together) for Thanksgiving, even if the meal were peanut butter & jelly. 

💃🍹💃

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, ObstructedView2 said:

Hi @CruzerDeb🙂

Keep in mind, that yummy looking 'WHOLE' turkey in the buffet is just that; a whole turkey that (will not) be on your plate. I wouldn't base your decision on 2 photos out of thousands & thousands of previous Thanksgiving dinners given to passengers in a MDR or buffet onboard a cruise ship.

You have 13 months to decide where you want your Family of 6 to spend Thanksgiving dinner. Focus on the 6 being (together) for Thanksgiving, even if the meal were peanut butter & jelly. 

💃🍹💃

Of course! 🦃🍹🛳️ Thanks!

• Like 2

The last time we cruised over Thanksgiving, we each ordered an entree that was not the traditional turkey dinner (IIRC it was basically an elegant night menu), and got a plate of turkey "for the table".  I don't think we were the only ones who did that.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, CruzerDeb said:

You're right about the poor presentation of the colorless plate and foods scooped with an ice cream scoop remind me of my dull high school cafeteria lunches in the 70s. 

• Like 3