Can I use OBC to pay for extra tips?

DaveOKC

What I am considering is using my OBC to leave tips for the Specialty Dining waiters and the Bar servers.  I have the Signature Beverage Package and free Specialty dining meals (several).  If I just write in the tip on the receipt line will that be deducted from my non-refundable OBC and also will the server get the tip or will it go to the "pool"?

I asked this question of two beverage servers on Rotterdam earlier this month and the answer was that they personally received the tips if their name was on the receipt as the server.

I am not sure how it would work in Speciality restaurants unless the wait person also got drinks and the receipt could be signed.  I don't recollect anything having to be signed for the meal itself, nor was a receipt offered for signature for the drinks.  

9 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

What I am considering is using my OBC to leave tips for the Specialty Dining waiters and the Bar servers.  I have the Signature Beverage Package and free Specialty dining meals (several).  If I just write in the tip on the receipt line will that be deducted from my non-refundable OBC and also will the server get the tip or will it go to the "pool"?

It will definitely be deducted from your non-refundable OBC ( we just did it a couple of weeks ago) but I "believe" it goes into the related pool - e.g., beverage servers if is was a beverage based gratuity. 

You may have to just order a drink to get the receipt to sign (you should get one even with SBP). It was easy for us as we always had a glass of wine with dinner, so would get a receipt to sign.

If you tip extra at a bar I understood they got that tip.  If you have leftover OBC at the end of a cruise you can fill out a form and have it given to staff as additional gratuity, BUT, and it’s a big one….you can only give a lump sum to the pool.  You can’t say you want X to room steward and X to waiter.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/23/2023 at 5:26 PM, VMax1700 said:

I asked this question of two beverage servers on Rotterdam earlier this month and the answer was that they personally received the tips if their name was on the receipt as the server.

I am not sure how it would work in Speciality restaurants unless the wait person also got drinks and the receipt could be signed.  I don't recollect anything having to be signed for the meal itself, nor was a receipt offered for signature for the drinks.  

There was a brief period when you received it receipt for specialty dining. Then they stopped it and we all just sat around confused and waiting. Eventually someone had to use the restroom and we left.

10 hours ago, POA1 said:

There was a brief period when you received it receipt for specialty dining. Then they stopped it and we all just sat around confused and waiting. Eventually someone had to use the restroom and we left.

Sometimes we still get a receipt and sometimes not.  On three different ships and each time with a free meal (makes no sense of course).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

Sometimes we still get a receipt and sometimes not.  On three different ships and each time with a free meal (makes no sense of course).

We have never received one, but I wonder if you get the receipt when it is the "free" one was to combat issues (or potential issues) with people claiming that they didn't actually use the booked meal and trying to rebook (maybe they just didn't go or maybe for a second freebie).

Maybe when people are paying for their specialty dining, they are more likely to go or make a point of cancelling is they don't go so they don't run into as many issues.

Afterthought: I recall last year (not a recent cruise) on a HAL cruise where we would get these wayward dining booking reminders ... when we didn't have a booking ....so we would just call in and let them know. Maybe that was a "thing" for a while, so receipt signing helped to clarify when people really had a booking and used it.

Edited by rodndonna
more info