Cyclone Lola hits Vanuatu

Cyclone Lola hit northern Vanuatu as a Category 5 cyclone today.Thoughts to the poor Vanuatu people who are still recovering from last year’s bad cyclones. 

This is very early for this cyclone to hit and is pre the normal season.  Carnival Luminosa was supposed to be visiting New Caledonia and Mystery Island, Vanuatu this week. Their itinerary was altered to go back to Cairns and Port Douglas where they had visited last week. At least some of those Americans doing multiple b2b cruises will have the chance to visit the reef after our visit to Port Douglas last week was cancelled due to bad sea conditions.

• Like 1

I hope they have been spared from any serious damage, but that is being really optimistic. Fingers crossed for the Vanuatu islands.

Pacific Encounter also switched to North Qld instead of Noumea - Lifou - Vila. A shame, but their run to the Sunshine Coast of Friday night is going to be a bit on the bumpy side anyway.

• Like 1

I feel for all the people there especially the ones who didn't have much to start with and will have trouble replacing what little they did have.

Hopefully the Australian Government will step in and provide aid, one would think they would as they want to improve relations to the South Pacific Islands now.

I don't know if the French Government still has any ties to Vanuatu.

I sure in previous years P&O have helped out by taking donations out to some of the South Pacific Islands after cyclones when cruises called in there.

14 hours ago, sewgood said:

I feel for all the people there especially the ones who didn't have much to start with and will have trouble replacing what little they did have.

Hopefully the Australian Government will step in and provide aid, one would think they would as they want to improve relations to the South Pacific Islands now.

I don't know if the French Government still has any ties to Vanuatu.

I sure in previous years P&O have helped out by taking donations out to some of the South Pacific Islands after cyclones when cruises called in there.

Yes, P&O do help out and I believe are continuing to do so

• Like 1