Villa Vie Residences

Host Jazzbeau

12 minutes ago, Charry_ said:

Apart from the whole debacle surrounding the actual launch, let's pretend for a moment they actually do. Who on earth is going to buy cruise segments on this ship? It's old and tired and in no way could compete with other cruise offerings ( even some of the lower quality ones!). If this is going to be what they rely on to make the business model viable, I think they are going to be in a world of pain!  I wonder if the people who have bought these cabins actually saw a business plan and had it checked out independently? I can't look away! 

Honestly, I wouldn't need to see a business plan. The second I would hear that they resurrect a 30-year old ship which was out of service for the last 4 years and only plan on a 4-week dry dock I would have walked away.

For a normal, in-service, younger cruiseship a 4 week refurbishing dry dock is pushing it. 

• Like 1

Yeah- the whole thing is fishy.  VVR Facebook page announced their new accounting finance guy Samarth Sethi within hours of the midnight email to the passengers (stating they aren't going to pay for the hotels anymore and stating the ship will sail in approximately 7 days)

2 hours ago, Travel_Around_The_World said:

Oh, about Villa Vie I have no clue. I am going along just like everybody else.
But I do know the main players from before Villa Vie and before Life at Sea....many years before. I know them, their kids, some of their friends. Might give some insides on why things happen the way the happen. 

You know Mike and Kathy from way back?  Who exactly are you talking about and what insights?  I'm curious.  Might help me understand better ***** is going on with VVR

34 minutes ago, Travel_Around_The_World said:

Honestly, I wouldn't need to see a business plan. The second I would hear that they resurrect a 30-year old ship which was out of service for the last 4 years and only plan on a 4-week dry dock I would have walked away.

For a normal, in-service, younger cruiseship a 4 week refurbishing dry dock is pushing it. 

Yes you are right of course! You have to wonder about the residents letting a dream overtake common spider senses- it raises so many red flags that they seem to have ignored. 

The latest is that VVO is scheduled for the second sea trial on September 14 (this saturday).  Whether it will actually do another sea trial is another matter, but it is on the port schedule.  The scheduled sailing date is now September 20, 2024 but history has shown that these dates end up being cancelled and rescheduled.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rebeccalouiseagain said:

The latest is that VVO is scheduled for the second sea trial on September 14 (this saturday).  Whether it will actually do another sea trial is another matter, but it is on the port schedule.  The scheduled sailing date is now September 20, 2024 but history has shown that these dates end up being cancelled and rescheduled.

I don't have the detailed port schedule on my mobile, just the segments.  On Sept 29 or 30 the Caribbean segment begins. If they actually sail on September 20 they will have to do the TA within days. Holy crap. I would not go on a 50/50 TA chance of making it....and I love TAs.

22 minutes ago, VL1 said:

It is time for people to cut their losses, lawyer up and get a refund.  It is hard to let a dream die, but it is time to let it go.

You'd be surprised how much people buy into the things when they listen to snake oil salesmen or used car sales people. They are able to sell them chicken poop for chicken salad.

Mike was always a good talker...well the few times when he was sober anyways. 😂

14 hours ago, rebeccalouiseagain said:

Interesting. OK- Angela (midlife cruising) originally said 500K but I think she was so heartbroken reading the email that she didn't read it correctly.  Mike did say 500k per month, which is accurate.  Mike has spent some out of pocket money on tours for the residents and cruises on MSC and trips to Tenerife.  He did pay for those things.  Then the residents wanted to do their own thing in Europe so he offered per diems that would be paid back to the residents via lower monthly fees when they set sail (so IOU's)  So lets say 100 people were getting per diems this would add up fast over close to four months- it would be closer to 2 million.  Those per diems were not outlays though.  They will be credited back to the passengers (so essentially the passenger will not pay a month fee for three months once the ship sails).  We shall see how that works out- because it is a big "if" that the ship sails.  If the business goes belly up- they won't get the per diems paid and will be out whatever money they invested in the cruise.

I agree that it was probably IOUs, but Angela did mention something about a group rate. And that without that, the hotel would be $2200 a week.... OUCH!

But there was some outlay from VV, since they were feeding them that buffet w/ drinks and did have staff onboard. Not a huge outlay, but actual costs none the less.

And yes, 30 year old ship? That's a no from me!

7 hours ago, Travel_Around_The_World said:

You'd be surprised how much people buy into the things when they listen to snake oil salesmen or used car sales people. They are able to sell them chicken poop for chicken salad.

Mike was always a good talker...well the few times when he was sober anyways. 😂

Definitely a case of sunk cost bias. They are so invested both mentally and financially they can't see things objectively anymore. They are all focused on launch, but even if that happens, the cost of maintaining an old tub to travel around the world will be astronomical! 

The segment passengers would be so put off by the sorority sisters on the ship- all telling them how wonderful the ship is- when in reality it's an ugly old tub.  It would a strange vibe.  Too many cliches onboard and the new segment passengers wouldn't fit in with the Villa Vie cheerleaders saying, "You should buy a cabin!"  It would be like being surrounded by time share salespeople.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

1 hour ago, rebeccalouiseagain said:

The segment passengers would be so put off by the sorority sisters on the ship- all telling them how wonderful the ship is- when in reality it's an ugly old tub.  It would a strange vibe.  Too many cliches  onboard and the new segment passengers wouldn't fit in with the Villa Vie cheerleaders saying, "You should buy a cabin!"  It would be like being surrounded by time share salespeople.

I agree. The people on the videos are so sugar sweet it is nauseating. Imagine wanting some peace and quiet- you would be forced to retreat to your box room with the filthy carpet . And no doubt the cliques that would develop on board would make it horrible. I don't know how cruising around the world on a decaying ship in a tiny filthy cabin could be anyone's " dream" . Travel the world? Absolutely! Long term cruising? Fantastic! Villa Vie? Um NO

Edited by Charry_

I was looking at the official website of Villa Vie residences. It mentions it will visit 7 continents- which of course means it must be going to Antarctica- however it isn't mentioned in the 3.5 year itinerary. Imagine going across the Drake Passage in that archaic bucket of bolts!  Also, I assume it isn't rated for any major sea ice, nor does it have loading facilities for zodiacs etc, so obviously it doesn't plan to actually stop anywhere for residents to get off. The whole plan is just full of holes ( probably like the boat itself 😂) . I hate to be unkind to those who purchased, but did you ask questions like this????

This just reminds me of "Wag the Dog"- you sell the investors (founders and residents) on this exciting journey using animated versions of the ship and beautiful footage of exotic locations.  You get the people to come to the ship- "look we have a ship.  Don't look at the ugly cabins- here is our exciting business center and pools (with no water).  You can paint and decorate your cabins anyway you like (really? How can I arrange that?  How much extra would that cost).  "Oh, don't be a negative Nelly.  Come have a drink with me in the bar- lighten up- it's all good- hang loose man.  This isn't about your cabin- it's about community, and who cares about your cabin when you have this backyard."  (Yeah a lovely industrial shipyard in freezing Belfast- my backyard at home was a lot prettier than this). "Now now- if you keep that attitude up- you are going to have to walk the gangplank.  Remember what happened to Jenny and Bonnie"

• Haha 1

Clicking on "Traffic Expected', does this mean Saturday departure 8am for sea trials? I guess job type SHFT means it is 'shifting' location and expected back relatively soon?

https://booking.belfast-harbour.co.uk/

The prior sea trials track showed tight turns (loops) to starboard, but big turns (loops) to port. I forgot to check the speed when making those turns so I don't know if the big turns were due to higher speeds.

28 minutes ago, TwoBadKnees said:

Clicking on "Traffic Expected', does this mean Saturday departure 8am for sea trials? I guess job type SHFT means it is 'shifting' location and expected back relatively soon?

https://booking.belfast-harbour.co.uk/

The prior sea trials track showed tight turns (loops) to starboard, but big turns (loops) to port. I forgot to check the speed when making those turns so I don't know if the big turns were due to higher speeds.

When I checked that track I looked at the speed. Never exceeded 6-10 knots, not even going out or coming back in. 

39 minutes ago, TwoBadKnees said:

"Shft" means a berth shift, from the shipyard (SQR) to anchorage in the lough (Blough).  This could be for sea trials, it could be to stop paying docking to the shipyard, it could be that the shipyard needs the berth.

42 minutes ago, TwoBadKnees said:

Most ships, even twin screw ones, tend to turn differently to port or starboard.  Without actually witnessing the sea trials, can't say whether this was a problem or intended, or natural.

14 minutes ago, Travel_Around_The_World said:

When I checked that track I looked at the speed. Never exceeded 6-10 knots, not even going out or coming back in. 

As I said, to save fuel and load the repaired engine fully, they may have only used one engine on each propeller, which would give the 10 knots as near the top end.

• Like 2

For those condemning this ship for being 30 years old, remember the MS Marco Polo, which was 55 years old at the time it stopped service, and it made worldwide cruises for decades, after turning 30.  Fair enough, there were several very costly dry dockings and upgrades over the years, but that just goes to show that an older ship, if well maintained (at a cost) is just as seaworthy as a new one.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

"Shft" means a berth shift, from the shipyard (SQR) to anchorage in the lough (Blough).  This could be for sea trials, it could be to stop paying docking to the shipyard, it could be that the shipyard needs the berth.

Most ships, even twin screw ones, tend to turn differently to port or starboard.  Without actually witnessing the sea trials, can't say whether this was a problem or intended, or natural.

As always, thanks Chief !

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

For those condemning this ship for being 30 years old, remember the MS Marco Polo, which was 55 years old at the time it stopped service, and it made worldwide cruises for decades, after turning 30.  Fair enough, there were several very costly dry dockings and upgrades over the years, but that just goes to show that an older ship, if well maintained (at a cost) is just as seaworthy as a new one.

Indeed, Carnival Sunshine has been in service for 28 years. They have a couple 26 year old Fantasy class ships in the fleet as well. Some Oceania ships date back that far, too.