Villa Vie Residences

Host Jazzbeau

11 hours ago, rebeccalouiseagain said:

No one even knows who the Captain of the Villa Vie Odyssey is. It's not Jozo Glavic.  It may be Valentin Giuglea but no one I asked (residents and VVR) had answered.

Just curious, but why would you expect the company to reply to you about this?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Just curious, but why would you expect the company to reply to you about this?

Just odd that no one seems to know the Captain of the vessel.  Reason I asked is because they are still in Belfast and the first Captain- Jozo Glavic left in May and is working for Disney as a Staff Captain.  Then Valentin Giuglea took his place.  Since there has been such a long delay- I wondered if that Captain left as well.  They have interviewed the Chef (Panos) and the housekeeping guy.  I'm curious as to why the leader of the vessel, which is always the Captain isn't interviewed by VVR.

10 minutes ago, rebeccalouiseagain said:

The ship is sailing between 12-13 knots.  Cruise ships generally sail at around 18-20 knots.  This tells me there is an issue.   

It was running at 17-18 knots for a while but seems to have slowed down on its next loop. Will be interesting to see how things go. Note the trial date for the 21st has disappeared from the Port website now, but departure date of the 22nd still in the system (would expect this to move out). 

Interesting.  Average speed appears to be around 16 knots- 20 knots with cruise ships.  Top speed (which is one of the things done during trials) should be closer to 24 knots. This ship is sailing in the most pristine conditions as well.  They have yet to take it out to the Atlantic.  For instance, the Borealis (smaller than Braemar) is in similar conditions sailing at 17 knots.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

11 minutes ago, rebeccalouiseagain said:

The ship is sailing between 12-13 knots.  Cruise ships generally sail at around 18-20 knots.  This tells me there is an issue.   

Cruise ships have a top speed of 20-24 knots, but for the last couple of decades, have been trying to reduce the needed speed to get from port to port in order to save fuel, and this has been so especially since Covid.  As I noted before, unless there is a need to test the ship at full speed (such as repairs to the propulsion system), the surveyors would not require the ship to go full speed.  Sea trials test what is needed, essentially what was repaired or changed, it does not repeat things that were done at newbuild trials, unless something changed.  Also, as I noted, they repaired one of the propulsion diesel engines, and there are two diesels on each propeller.  If they wanted to test the engine (which is what was repaired), they don't have to test the entire propulsion system to maximum, just that one engine.  So, they only use that one engine on the one propeller, and to balance (keep steering stable) they only use one engine on the other propeller.  Using half power on each propeller will result in about 40% speed, and Odyssey is only rated for 17 knots after her lengthening, her sister ship, which has not been lengthened, is only rated at 19 knots.

They will not take the ship out to the Atlantic for sea trials.  The object of sea trials is to test the ship's machinery without any undue affects from weather.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just seems odd that a ship larger than VVR is sailing faster and they are both in the same area- near the shipyard.  The Stena Ferry is going 15 knots and VVR is sailing 9 knots.  Time will tell if they are ready for rough conditions.  They plan to do the Atlantic first- so they better be ready for that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rebeccalouiseagain said:

The Stena Ferry is going 15 knots and VVR is sailing 9 knots.

The ferry has a schedule to meet, so the speed is set by that schedule.  Odyssey has no schedule.

2 hours ago, rebeccalouiseagain said:

They plan to do the Atlantic first- so they better be ready for that.

Did they change something that makes the ship less seaworthy than it was for Fred Olsen?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rebeccalouiseagain said:

If the vessel sails at 12 knots (22 km per hour) for 24 hours a day- to sail from Portugal to Bermuda (5004 kilometers)- at that rate it would take 9 days to sail to Bermuda.  If they pick up speed to their maximum speed of 17 knots- the journey will take 6.7 days

And, your point is?  As I've said, they don't need to test whether the ship can make 17 knots now, as they haven't changed the propellers and have all 4 engines working. Many ships, either cruise or cargo, don't do any sea trials at all, depending on what repairs were made during the shipyard period, so doing a full speed run is not common.   And, the distance you are likely using for Belfast to Bermuda is air miles, the actual sea distance (they have to go around Ireland) is 5270 km.

I didn't know the Odyssey had a schedule to meet.  If they did sail at 12 knots, that saves $116,000 in fuel cost over doing it at 17 knots.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I didn't know the Odyssey had a schedule to meet.  If they did sail at 12 knots, that saves $116,000 in fuel cost over doing it at 17 knots.

The last time I checked they were scheduled in Bermuda on the 25th and 26th of September. But I would think those dates are out of the question and I don't know if cruise ships can make easily another docking date on short notice.

Their past pattern is to just simply cancel the ports of the itinerary. One could assume they do the same with Bermuda which would make them go straight to the Caribbean. The ports after Bermuda would be Freeport on Sept 30, Nassau on Oct 1 and Long Island on Oct 4.

1 hour ago, Travel_Around_The_World said:

But I would think those dates are out of the question and I don't know if cruise ships can make easily another docking date on short notice.

If there is an available berth, there isn't a need to "book" a docking, just show up.  They can look at the port schedule, that's what an agent is for, and adjust their arrival to show up when a dock is available.  This is a residential cruise, people are onboard for months at a time, if not years, so who really cares if the ship is a day or two late?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rebeccalouiseagain said:

My point was that 12-13 knots will not suffice to make the current schedule. 

Then I guess it's a good thing that this is not the ship's maximum speed. (As has been explained multiple times by @chengkp75 but you continue to ignore.)

Did people see the interview that Jenni did with Backroads Tourist? She seemed pretty reasonable to me and not just complaining to complain.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rebeccalouiseagain said:

My point was that 12-13 knots will not suffice to make the current schedule. 

If the ship was leaving Belfast at the time you posted about her speed yesterday (3pm EDT, I believe), and they went at 17 knots, they would not arrive in Bermuda before 3pm on the 25th.  So, the "current schedule" is out the window regardless of what speed the ship makes.

so I have an unrelated question. I am trying to understand how they are able to offer 15 years of no monthly fee rises. To me it says either that they are really over charging now to absorb future rises, or, they know they aren't going to be around that long so can make empty promises like that to get people to think they are getting a great deal. I mean, fuel, port fees, repairs, food, drink are all going to become more expensive over such a long timeframe. How will they cover those costs? Surely they can't be relying on segment passengers? 

17 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

If the ship was leaving Belfast at the time you posted about her speed yesterday (3pm EDT, I believe), and they went at 17 knots, they would not arrive in Bermuda before 3pm on the 25th.  So, the "current schedule" is out the window regardless of what speed the ship makes.

Yeah- if they get the certifications and sign off by the insurance company and public health by the end of next week (the 27th)- they could sail from Belfast to the Caribbean at 17 knots and would arrive in roughly 8 days.  So the earliest would be around October 6.  For the sake of these long suffering passengers- I hope their dreams come true.