Starbucks vs Nespresso?

richmke

14 minutes ago, erisajd said:

Need to set the record straight - Nespresso is NOT coffee - its Espresso.  The  trick to making a decent cup of nespresso into coffee is to run it through the same pod 3 times.  Having  been to European Airbnb's where coffee pots are rare and all sorts of espresso machines abound - you need to essentially make an americano which STILL is NOT a french press coffee!  

Now-  that said - as a Haven guest on the Bliss in Alaska in June - how do I get a cup / pot of coffee in the room?   Is there a charge?  I can't quite figure it out  - will our butler bring us a pot of fresh coffee every morning at a set time?  Would that be free?  I've heard NOTHING brought to the room is free.   

Will we have to rely on the 'free' nespresso every morning until we get to breakfast in the Haven?  

Inquiring minds want to know! 

I've heard recent rumblings that you may receive a carafe of coffee, rather than a French Press pot, but that was ONE poster, so one poster does not make a change. 

In the past, you could always request a pot of French Press from the butler. No additional charge as in the Haven you do not pay a room service fee. You should consider tipping your butler, but that's your own decision. 

The butler will bring it at approximately the same time if you request a pot every day. Also, I have no idea if French Press is considered a pot or carafe or something else. So, I suppose the wordsmiths can talk about that later. 

What is not free are beverages covered in the drink packages. You may request a pitcher of water or iced tea for your fridge at no charge. You cannot request a glass of soda, or Pinot, or a Capt. and Coke at no charge. That's the difference, though some (not many) have received cans of soda at no charge. Don't expect it though. If it happens, great! If not, well, you can go get a soda from the bar.

I hope that helps.

As an aside, I thought it was eXpresso. Hehe - ahhh, I see the Italians rising up to take me out now. 🤠

36 minutes ago, erisajd said:

Need to set the record straight - Nespresso is NOT coffee - its Espresso.  The  trick to making a decent cup of nespresso into coffee is to run it through the same pod 3 times.  Having  been to European Airbnb's where coffee pots are rare and all sorts of espresso machines abound - you need to essentially make an americano which STILL is NOT a french press coffee!  

Now-  that said - as a Haven guest on the Bliss in Alaska in June - how do I get a cup / pot of coffee in the room?   Is there a charge?  I can't quite figure it out  - will our butler bring us a pot of fresh coffee every morning at a set time?  Would that be free?  I've heard NOTHING brought to the room is free.   

Will we have to rely on the 'free' nespresso every morning until we get to breakfast in the Haven?  

Inquiring minds want to know! 

Read post #7 on this thread 

On 10/26/2023 at 5:08 AM, richmke said:

First time NCL, and Haven on the Epic. I understand the room comes with a Nespresso maker.

My wife loves (needs) her morning coffee. On other cruise lines, I get the premium coffee package and bring her a wakeup coffee (buffet coffee won't do).

Thoughts on Starbucks vs Nespresso vs free room service coffee? Do they provide bottled water for the Nespresso?

Can you request heavy cream, not half-and-half, and keep it in the fridge?

Thanks

JMHO, the nespresso machines are terrible. The buffet coffee is superior to the nespresso.  I wish they'd throw them overboard and replace them with keurig.  I'd rather have real coffee than expresso.  Since that is not an option, I go to Starbucks and get my coffee.  

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Read post #7 on this thread 

not tp be pedantic - but it does NOT say whether its part of the Haven package or whether they charge for it - 

22 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

As an aside, I thought it was eXpresso. Hehe - ahhh, I see the Italians rising up to take me out now. 🤠

Yup - its ESPRESSO - no 'X' in it anywhere - I speak a bit of italian - and simply cannot bring myself to ever say expresso!  

Thanks for the info - after reading the details of the packages its insane to think you can walk out of your suite to the Bars and grab a soda or a drink or a glass of wine [ or two per person] and they won't let you have a couple cans of soda or beer in your $12000 a week [and up] suite.  

Plus - the fact that NCL serves Pepsi only will simply gross me out for a whole week . . . 😉

For the non-Haven cruiser, i just bring some nice premium pods.  Ask for one of there coffee makers and i'm off to the races.  I can care less about Starbucks, never really likes it and its ridiculously expensive.

27 minutes ago, erisajd said:

Plus - the fact that NCL serves Pepsi only will simply gross me out for a whole week . . . 😉

You’ll be happy to know that NCL has changed from Pepsi to Coke across the fleet.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Russiamomm said:

You’ll be happy to know that NCL has changed from Pepsi to Coke across the fleet.

We sure were very happy when that happened!! 

30 minutes ago, erisajd said:

Yup - its ESPRESSO - no 'X' in it anywhere - I speak a bit of italian - and simply cannot bring myself to ever say expresso!  

Thanks for the info - after reading the details of the packages its insane to think you can walk out of your suite to the Bars and grab a soda or a drink or a glass of wine [ or two per person] and they won't let you have a couple cans of soda or beer in your $12000 a week [and up] suite.  

I was kidding - I have myself an Espresso (or three) every morning. It's the only way I can deal with four crazy furry dogs running around while I get ready for work. 

And yea, I'm not quite sure why Haven guests aren't able to have a mini bar stocked - I'll give them the flexibility in not having butlers running from suite to suite providing a drink at any time. But, a mini bar (even once a day, like MSC) should be an option.