Starbucks vs Nespresso?

richmke

First time NCL, and Haven on the Epic. I understand the room comes with a Nespresso maker.

My wife loves (needs) her morning coffee. On other cruise lines, I get the premium coffee package and bring her a wakeup coffee (buffet coffee won't do).

Thoughts on Starbucks vs Nespresso vs free room service coffee? Do they provide bottled water for the Nespresso?

Can you request heavy cream, not half-and-half, and keep it in the fridge?

Thanks

Personally, I would not bother with the Starbucks if staying in the Haven.  I love the Nespresso machine and it works great for that first jolt before having the great French Press coffee at breakfast.  But not everyone likes the Nespresso.  It’s an espresso machine.  The pulls are strong, but you can always run more water through to make it more of an Americano.  Your butler will keep the room supplied with pods and keep the machine filled with water.  I don’t know if it’s bottled water.  I doubt it.  But the water is fine.

If you don’t care for the Nespresso, room service is always available and it will be the French Press.  Not the swill from the buffet.

Your butler can keep your fridge supplied with cream.  When they changed from half and half to CoffeeMate 😡, I asked the butler for real cream.  He kept a small pitcher of heavy cream stocked in our room.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, richmke said:

First time NCL, and Haven on the Epic. I understand the room comes with a Nespresso maker.

My wife loves (needs) her morning coffee. On other cruise lines, I get the premium coffee package and bring her a wakeup coffee (buffet coffee won't do).

Thoughts on Starbucks vs Nespresso vs free room service coffee? Do they provide bottled water for the Nespresso?

Thanks

Because you are in the Haven, your butler will be taking care of replenishing your supply of coffee pods daily.  You may request heavy cream to be placed in your mini fridge.  You will not need to go outside of your room to fetch her coffee!

Nespresso makes coffee, Starbucks does not!

The founder of the latter likes burnt beans, so every cup has a bitter aftertaste. I firmly believe that if it wasn't for the million-calorie fru-fru drinks, Starbucks would have disappeared years ago!

I'll be in the Haven on the Breakaway in early February and the two factors that have brought us back to NCL after an eight year absence are the coffee and returning to Coke products!

• Like 2

I don't mind a cup of Starbs every now and then. It's not my favorite, but mainly due to their labor policies (haven't been to Starbs in quite some time). I put it on par with Dunkin/Tim Hortons/etc.

I enjoy strong coffee. For instance, each morning before work I have one to two pulls of espresso at home. Then, I have a nice strong cold brew to get me through the day that I also make at home. I'm fortunate to have some really great espresso/coffee makers at home to keep me energized!

When I cruise in the Haven, I'll have Nespresso two to three times in the morning. I'll also order a French Press coffee in the Haven Restaurant. This coffee is strong! It's wonderful! It'll get you through the day. In my early Haven days I ordered a pot of French Press to the room (no charge, through the butler), but found this was not necessary as we generally get to the restaurant around 7 or 8. Couple shots of espresso when getting out of bed, then a pot.

You probably won't need Starbs at all, unless you want the fancy super sweet coffee products they make. You can also get a cappuccino, espresso, or latte from the Haven Restaurant at no additional charge.

We're with you on the return of Coke @Guindalf!!!!

• Like 2

I do like the Nespresso machines in the Haven Suites.  I have a Nespresso Vertuo machine at home.  The Nespresso in the Haven are the original kind.  They're just as good.  The pods are smaller, though.  I use 2 pods per cup.  My Butler also keeps cream in the fridge (not that terrible coffee mate teeny cups).

My butler also keeps extra pods stocked because I double up on each cup.

So, no need for Starbuck!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, richmke said:

Thanks

As a Haven guest, you won't get "room service coffee". 

You can request a French press pot of coffee, delivered by your butler. And maybe some fresh squeezed OJ. 

"Starbucks" coffees are served, for free, in the Haven restaurant and you could also ask your butler to bring 2-3 cappuccinos or lattes. 

Ask your butler for cream for your fridge. 

Just some ideas,,, but no need to buy a coffee package. 

image.png.cd45acc723141646276c82da8f22abf2.png

image.png.bd0b8038b7dd690954bd7c89e6770986.png

For a peak at the Haven menu, the following is to my pictorial menu from the Haven

image.png.0e9145577a3fb37206de85d1722aa6e8.png

image.png.f47f91213e131831c4b5ecbf66df19d2.png

Edited by BirdTravels

Not being a morning person, I need coffee to wake me up and get me going!  In earlier days in an NCL suite, we had coffee machines (Lavazzo, I believe) with milk attachments, and I could brew my own latte every morning.  Probably more upkeep than NCL felt they were worth, they were r replaced with the current Nespresso.  Now I order a hot skim milk delivery every AM, which the butler delivers along with almond croissants.  Can have my café au lait and eat my cake, too!

The coffee pods are regular & espresso.  You can request both, or one of your choice.  I’m the only coffee drinker in the cabin, so the pre-concierge desk notes my preference for espresso only.  My sister & DH are tea drinkers.  It’s necessary to run water once through the machine to clear the coffee taste before brewing tea.

Re the French press in the Haven restaurant, I usually find it too weak, so I ask the server not to press the top down.  Letting it sit longer makes for a stronger brew.  Again, I order hot skim milk for the coffee, or sometimes a couple of lattes or cappuccino.

The best Haven coffee was the coffee machine in the Joy’s Haven lounge.  For that, I got up!  You could choose a latte, cappuccino, espresso….  I dream about that machine!

12 minutes ago, PatJim said:

Re the French press in the Haven restaurant, I usually find it too weak, so I ask the server not to press the top down.  Letting it sit longer makes for a stronger brew.  Again, I order hot skim milk for the coffee, or sometimes a couple of lattes or cappuccino.

The best Haven coffee was the coffee machine in the Joy’s Haven lounge.  For that, I got up!  You could choose a latte, cappuccino, espresso….  I dream about that machine!

Wait! Have I met my coffee match? It's too weak for you? What do you enjoy? Coffee brewed as syrup? Haha! I love it!! I find the French Press very strong, but perfect.

That machine is amazing...I just happened to break it every other time I used it. Overuse by one passenger, perhaps.🤠

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

Wait! Have I met my coffee match? It's too weak for you? What do you enjoy? Coffee brewed as syrup? Haha! I love it!! I find the French Press very strong, but perfect.

That machine is amazing...I just happened to break it every other time I used it. Overuse by one passenger, perhaps.🤠

While I love a good cup of coffee, the Haven French Press is too strong for me.    I was disappointed the first time I tried it because I heard so much about it.     I do love the Nespresso machine in the cabins and did miss having one the last time we sailed because we were not in a Haven or suite.  

Quite frankly, I wish  they'd throw the Nespresso machines overboard.  I much prefer Keurig.  

I'm not a fan of extra strong coffee having spent so many years in the army where the coffee was so strong it would dissolve a spoon if left too long in the cup.

• Like 2

I didn’t know about the Butler bringing cream for the fridge, but will be asking on my next cruise!!
I mostly drink iced coffee. I make it at home with fresh brewed med roast in the Keurig. I have the ice bucket filled at all times and make it in the cabin with Nespress machine too! I find the iced coffee too weak when it’s made by the Haven Restaurant… but they do try!! I am not a Starbucks fan, but do like the iced coffee on the ship! I usually run down to Starbucks for iced coffee before I head to breakfast in the Haven dining room!  Now I think I need an iced coffee!!

23 minutes ago, fastpitchdad said:

Your butler will deliver French Press coffee every morning along with cream and sweetener (and a crab cake benedict 🙂 ). 

You knew you'd get my attention with that last addition to the breakfast list!!!!! YUM! 24 days until I can do it again. 🦀

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, fastpitchdad said:

Your butler will deliver French Press coffee every morning along with cream and sweetener (and a crab cake benedict 🙂 ). 

If requested!

Butlers do not just show-up with those things.  Be sure to let your butler know if/when/what you might care to have for breakfast, lunch, dinner to be delivered.

• Thanks 1

On 10/26/2023 at 9:59 AM, PatJim said:

That's why I got my wife the Philips 3200 LatteGo because my wife went into withdrawals after leaving the Encore at the beginning of the month (She likes cappuccinos) She says it tastes just as good as the ships'.... (It did break down one day on the cruise for us too!)

On 10/26/2023 at 6:08 AM, richmke said:

Thanks

You can get French press coffee in the haven restaurant or delivered to your suite by butler.   you can thank me later 😀

Wait wait wait … if I’m in a non-Haven suite, can I get the French press delivered to my cabin as well as make my own Nespresso?

btw - we gave both original and Vertuo-line machines with frother next to our keurig… to everything there is a season…and an appropriate coffeemaker (although I was once tempted to trade them all in on a beautiful jura model that a friend has but …too much trouble at 5am)

7 hours ago, ColdCruise said:

Wait wait wait … if I’m in a non-Haven suite, can I get the French press delivered to my cabin as well as make my own Nespresso?

btw - we gave both original and Vertuo-line machines with frother next to our keurig… to everything there is a season…and an appropriate coffeemaker (although I was once tempted to trade them all in on a beautiful jura model that a friend has but …too much trouble at 5am)

On the first question, I believe there are certain categories of non-Haven suites on some ships that have the Nespresso machine.  For example, I know the suites on the smaller ships without a Haven (Star, Jade, Sun) do have them.  But I don’t know if the French Press is available.  I’ll find out in May when we’re in a suite on the Star.  😃

And I hear you on the machines!  When we replaced our countertops we created a coffee nook.  The Nespresso, Keurig, drip coffee pot and grinder are all lined up.  Every morning starts with a Nespresso as the coffee is brewing.  😂. I used to have a Jura, but was a pain.  When it broke I replaced it with the Nespresso and never looked back.

• Thanks 1

On 10/27/2023 at 5:27 PM, BirdTravels said:

image.png.807a7a07537426d2b3cef0ab408eb29c.png

image.png.4e9727c8f587f40e3a0e1b892ba1ded0.png

Side dish

image.png.f442fa0ed2324f158453472c5097933b.png

French press AND salmon - I am sooooo jealous.  The swill on the Sun was so bad I gave up and switched to tea.  Looking forward to testing out the coffee on the Breakaway.

@cruiseny4life @PatJim - I have plans to eventually book the Haven and when I do I fear my butler will talk about my coffee habit(s) for the rest of his life.  I like my coffee strong and I had a suite on the Jewel for my first cruise and had no idea I could/should have asked for that.  I did enjoy the suite breakfast in Moderno and I always indulged there, but in my room - sigh....you don't know what you don't know.  Cruise Critic is so helpful for things like this.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, smillerholmes said:

French press AND salmon - I am sooooo jealous.  The swill on the Sun was so bad I gave up and switched to tea.  Looking forward to testing out the coffee on the Breakaway.

@cruiseny4life @PatJim - I have plans to eventually book the Haven and when I do I fear my butler will talk about my coffee habit(s) for the rest of his life.  I like my coffee strong and I had a suite on the Jewel for my first cruise and had no idea I could/should have asked for that.  I did enjoy the suite breakfast in Moderno and I always indulged there, but in my room - sigh....you don't know what you don't know.  Cruise Critic is so helpful for things like this.

If you can drink more than one French Press in a day I'm going to be impressed! As I used to down a pot of very strong drip coffee a day, plus more, I believe it, but that's a lot of coffee! 

Nespresso is such a nice coffee compared to the burnt Starbucks. I love my Starbucks only when the flavor is masked by sugar. When I got my Nespresso machine at home I started loosing weight instantly since I wasn’t have to drink all that caramel syrup daily anymore.

• 4 months later...
Posted (edited)

Need to set the record straight - Nespresso is NOT coffee - its Espresso.  The  trick to making a decent cup of nespresso into coffee is to run it through the same pod 3 times.  Having  been to European Airbnb's where coffee pots are rare and all sorts of espresso machines abound - you need to essentially make an americano which STILL is NOT a french press coffee!  

Now-  that said - as a Haven guest on the Bliss in Alaska in June - how do I get a cup / pot of coffee in the room?   Is there a charge?  I can't quite figure it out  - will our butler bring us a pot of fresh coffee every morning at a set time?  Would that be free?  I've heard NOTHING brought to the room is free.   

Will we have to rely on the 'free' nespresso every morning until we get to breakfast in the Haven?  

Inquiring minds want to know! 

Edited by erisajd