Jamaica--Level 3 travel Advisory

GT38

The US Government has issued a Level 3 travel advisory for Jamaica.  The have posted a DO NOT travel to parts of St. Ann's Parish.  Ocho Rios is in St. Ann's parish.  The Seascape is scheduled to stop in Ocho Rios next month.  Will the tours be affected?

Don't think so.  Tour operators want tourists to come back.  They are not going to take a bus load of tourists to rob them.  That's a sure way to turn away all US tourists going to that country, not to mention getting our military-industrial complex involved.

3 hours ago, Selion said:

They are not going to take a bus load of tourists to rob them. 

History does not back up this statement. Groups of cruise tourists have been robbed at gun point on excursions in various Caribbean ports, including Jamaica, many times over the past 10-20 years. Entire tour groups or bus loads held up at once and it hasn't stopped cruise lines from visiting yet. All they usually do is cancel a specific tour. While this doesn't happen regularly, people need to be aware, alert, and should be cautious about bringing more than needed and obvious theft targets off the ship. Not trying to scare people, but empty assurances aren't helpful.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, GT38 said:

The US Government has issued a Level 3 travel advisory for Jamaica.  The have posted a DO NOT travel to parts of St. Ann's Parish.  Ocho Rios is in St. Ann's parish.  The Seascape is scheduled to stop in Ocho Rios next month.  Will the tours be affected?

That warning has been out since mid-May or earlier.   The Do Not Travel areas in St Ann is only for 2 neighborhoods - Buckfield & Steer Town.  Those can be found on Google Maps and you should be OK if you stay out of those areas and use common sense.  You can never be absolutely safe, even in some areas of the US, so do your best to travel smart.  If you're really worried about it, stay onboard and enjoy the ship!

13 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

They should issue warnings for areas of many US Cities using this same criteria, I’m thinking we would be shocked. 

Isn't that the truth! We don't go to big cities much anymore due to the crime. I will stay in my small town.  That being said, we will be staying on the ship in Jamaica this year due to the fact that the last time we were there it just did not feel "right". 

16 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

While I also believe that my time will come when my time will come...I also get to decide what places are important enough for me to risk it. Jamaica isn't one.

The last time we were there, we walked around the area within a couple of blocks of the port compound.  Picked up a couple of items, e.g. Blue Mountain Coffee, and went back.  I had my. head on a swivel the whole time.  The next time I do not plan to venture outside of the pier ccmpound and the shops they have inside there.  I may pay a little more but I'd feel a lot safer. 

• Like 1