vista air conditioning

pearlke

We were on Montreal to Miami cruise & noticed that when we got towards Miami insufficient air conditioning in Terrace Cafe, Waves, & some upper floors. Is this still an issue on current Panama Canal sailing?

Just now, pearlke said:

We were on Montreal to Miami cruise & noticed that when we got towards Miami insufficient air conditioning in Terrace Cafe, Waves, & some upper floors. Is this still an issue on current Panama Canal sailing?

Waves and Aquamar are open to the outside so there is no air conditioning but large fans and windows that open.  They will always be the same temperature as the outside air.  Terrace has the outer deck with the doors that are opening often.  We found if you were in a table near the doors and around the serving stations (which are by the doors) were warmer but not uncomfortable.  If you choose a table away from the doors, it was cooler.  Our cabin is on Deck 12 and the halls and waiting areas around the forward stairs and elevators are warm - again a situation caused by the doors opening out to the pool deck which are opening constantly.  

The more common complaint we are hearing is that the public areas are too cool...

I found  the public  rooms  after we left QC to be  cool when the weather outside was cool then when we got to Charleston when it warmed  up it felt like the heat was on

Not sure  if they could not switch over  with the weather  or someone was plying with the controls

DH came down with a nasty cold   on Sat by the time  we got home   & still has some coughing ... good news it was not covid

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know how it compares to other ships in tropical regions, but a good part of the Inaugural Panama Canal Cruise, it felt like the air-conditioning/fans were not quite up to the task of cooling certain parts of the ship. We had our cabin set to the lowest possible setting the entire cruise.

We had the choice of moving to a cooler area as needed - it was the staff I felt sorry for as they were in some cases very obviously working in extremely sticky conditions without opportunity to cool off.

I do appreciate though that we all have different tolerance levels to temperature, so it ends up being a case for guests of knowing your own needs and coming equipped with whatever will help you personally.

• Like 1

Having everyone, or nearly everyone, set their controls at the lowest temperature actually makes the matters worse. 

I’m surprised the staff wasn’t directed to turn the settings back up to give the system a chance to catch up. In most situations the senior staff would have been making announcements to such. On Oceania, most all announcements are ignored so I guess they didn’t bother.

On Vista now, presently off the coast of Central America. Ship warms up to some extent everywhere in the afternoon - more so, perhaps, on the side facing west. We turn down the AC in the late afternoon only and it is adequate for us, However we are content at high 70s. Some will want it much cooler and might be uncomfortable.

YMMV

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Croooser said:

On Vista now, presently off the coast of Central America. Ship warms up to some extent everywhere in the afternoon - more so, perhaps, on the side facing west. We turn down the AC in the late afternoon only and it is adequate for us, However we are content at high 70s. Some will want it much cooler and might be uncomfortable.

YMMV

We are also on Vista and have not had any problems keeping room cool. Likely because we are on port side of ship which means our cabin has been facing East for this south bound portion of the cruise...so no afternoon hot sun.

Edited by edgee
  • Like 2