La Coruna and Bilbao P&O shore experience advice needed

EA1978

Hello,

Can I ask anyone out there if they have ever visited these 2 ports on a P&O ship and if so, been on one of the P&O shore experiences that were on offer when visiting? I'm booked to go next April and have been perusing the shore experiences available at these destinations but have a few specific enquiries about a couple of them.

9 hours ago, EA1978 said:

Can I ask anyone out there if they have ever visited these 2 ports on a P&O ship and if so, been on one of the P&O shore experiences that were on offer when visiting? I'm booked to go next April and have been perusing the shore experiences available at these destinations but have a few specific enquiries about a couple of them.

As your questions are P and O shorex specific, consider cross posting on the P and O Forum where passengers who did any tours in those ports would be more likely to see them and respond. 

This one:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/22-po-cruises-uk/

Edited by edinburgher

La Coruna and Bilbao P&O shore experience advice needed

Apologies as I should have added to my post above, that la (or A) Coruna is the port for Santiago de Compostela,  the #1 highlight in the region, so if one of your shorex questions refers to that one, you should at least consider it.  There should be much info and many images online to help you decide. Or explore la/a Coruna yourself as ships dock right in the centre and you only need cross the street and you are there. You could take the train to S de C but the station isn't really all that convenient when you arrive so a private tour or shorex would probably be better.

At  Bilbao ships docksome distance out of town and usually offer shuttle buses to a location next to the attractive old town which is easily explored on foot, and it is only a short walk from there to the riverside which is quite pleasant to stroll and offers great views of the Guggenheim on the opposite side even should you have no interest in visiting the interior, but you could of course also venture inside.

It isn't always necessary to pay for shorex as some locations can be easily explored independently at little cost and with the help of a little pre-trip research.

Edited by edinburgher

I did both ports last year with Princess. When reading about the ports, neither looked interesting to me. I signed up with Spain Day tours and did Santiago de Compostela and then also Bilbao (city tour with Guggenheim museum) with them. I ended up loving both ports and highly recommend Spain Day Tours. 

They could seem to be unknown ports. Surely they are more unknown rather than other ports but, for sure, a day visit will deserve.

In case of La Coruña you can choose Santiago de Compostela, destination for pilgrims. It is a very nice city but always remember La Coruña is as unknown as interesting too.

Language issue:

La Coruña is in Spanish

A Coruña is in Galician

If you read a Spanish text, you will read La Coruña

If you read a Galician text, you will read A Coruña, or if you see any official webpage.

I have read translations into French as "La Corogne" and into English as "Corunna". I do not know if really common or just the nearest word according to prononciation.

In Portuguese, "A Corunha" (Portuguese and Galician are quite, quite similar)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

While I was La coruna w/NCL recently, we did the Hercules Tour with a private company.  I booked it prior for 20 euros, gave 2 up front.  It was a large bus tour of 40 for 2 hours. It was OK, but there is not alot there except for the Tower of Hercultes which we saw on the tour. Another option is to walk or cab to the Tower so you would have more time there.  The downtown is interesting to walk around for an hour or tour but be midnful that siesta is from something like 2:30-4:30. We didn't realize that, we went back to the ship for lunch and came back and alot was closed at 2:30.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/29/2023 at 12:50 PM, EA1978 said:

Hello,

Just for you @EA1978 . My recently updated cruise blog link......         

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2024/02/09/one-way-to-do-a-coruna/

LaCoruna13SaintAntonCastle.thumb.jpg.be2cc84ee77b5690c95f8fb0efb3dd5d.jpg

15 hours ago, EA1978 said:

Thanks for that. So are most of La Coruna's sites of interest walkable from the cruise terminal? Even the lighthouse?

I will also be interested in Richards reply. I was also wondering - if we got a taxi to the Tower of Hercules did you notice if there were taxi's available for the return. We are a group of 6 but one of them is 83yrs old and although mobile I think the walk might be a bit too much