Premier Package question on Discovery

dream54ing

Hi everyone, first time traveler, so apologize if this is already answered (cant see to find anything on this particular subject)

This question is regarding the casual dining with premier package. Wife and I have the package, but our kids doesn't (2 and 4 yr old). Since we have unlimited casual dining, will they charge for the kids if they tag along with us; even if they dont eat (well they will probably nibble some of our food).

3 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

If you order them an actual meal then yes, they will pay.

Yes, but was more concern with getting charge even if they dont order. I read some where on another thread that they will be charged even if they dont order, so i'm asking to see how strict they are or if they actually charge. 

7 hours ago, dream54ing said:

Yes, but was more concern with getting charge even if they dont order. I read some where on another thread that they will be charged even if they dont order, so i'm asking to see how strict they are or if they actually charge. 

I would sure hope they wouldn't because of their young ages.  The pizza restaurant gives you so much food there would be plenty to let them nibble.  🙂 Maybe call customer service and ask?

7 hours ago, Cruisintimer said:

I would sure hope they wouldn't because of their young ages.  The pizza restaurant gives you so much food there would be plenty to let them nibble.  🙂 Maybe call customer service and ask?

That's what I've read, the portion of food being quite generous.

We are planning to ask when we get there, but was hoping someone here have experience that or have insight with staff being strict in that situation. 

Honestly our kids barely eat, couple bites here and there, just hate to be charged for being there (thats what i've read, cant find that thread). High probability kids will grab something at the Intl Cafe, so wont be ordering anything for them at the casual dining.   

• Like 1

I will ask the question sometime this week.  The portions are really quite large in all the casual dining spots on the Discovery, including GiGi’s, the Salty Dog GastroPub and the Ocean Terrace. 
The waiters are all super friendly.  Even if they have to charge, just order them something small from the a la carte menu to split.  But, I will check into getting an answer for you.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, dream54ing said:

That's what I've read, the portion of food being quite generous.

We are planning to ask when we get there, but was hoping someone here have experience that or have insight with staff being strict in that situation. 

Honestly our kids barely eat, couple bites here and there, just hate to be charged for being there (thats what i've read, cant find that thread). High probability kids will grab something at the Intl Cafe, so wont be ordering anything for them at the casual dining.   

We have 3 grandsons 3 and under we dine out with frequently I get it. Lol

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

I will ask the question sometime this week.  The portions are really quite large in all the casual dining spots on the Discovery, including GiGi’s, the Salty Dog GastroPub and the Ocean Terrace. 
The waiters are all super friendly.  Even if they have to charge, just order them something small from the a la carte menu to split.  But, I will check into getting an answer for you.  

It's interesting that you say this about the portion sizes in the Salty Dog. We were on her a few weeks ago, and found the portion sizes for the main courses we had to actually be much too small due to how they were presented. The lobster mac and cheese and the short rib poutine were served in tiny bowls which would have been perfect as appetizer sizes but were much too small for me as main courses (and no, I'm not a big eater). I remember one of  dishes coming in a specially designed white bowl which was very large outside diameter, maybe 14" across but the center holding the food wasn't more than 6" wide and not very full.  All the other venues had perfectly good portions, just not the SD. We're back on her again in Feb for another try. Glad you're having such a great trip ;o)

20 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

It's interesting that you say this about the portion sizes in the Salty Dog. We were on her a few weeks ago, and found the portion sizes for the main courses we had to actually be much too small due to how they were presented. The lobster mac and cheese and the short rib poutine were served in tiny bowls which would have been perfect as appetizer sizes but were much too small for me as main courses (and no, I'm not a big eater). I remember one of  dishes coming in a specially designed white bowl which was very large outside diameter, maybe 14" across but the center holding the food wasn't more than 6" wide and not very full.  All the other venues had perfectly good portions, just not the SD. We're back on her again in Feb for another try. Glad you're having such a great trip ;o)

Yes but you are getting 2 so called mains. Personally it is plenty of food for me but have never found the quality to be as good as other restaurants 

3 hours ago, memoak said:

Yes but you are getting 2 so called mains. Personally it is plenty of food for me but have never found the quality to be as good as other restaurants 

Actually, they weren't "mains", we ordered one as a starter and the other as the main, so I would expect the "main" to be of a suitable size.  It wasn't, they were both tiny. Quality-wise, they weren't any better or worse than any other meal in any other restaurant on the ship, which is to say they were fine. We have found that over the last few years, the food quality tends to vary significantly ship to ship, cook to cook. The food on the Discovery a few weeks ago was much better than on the Sky as recently as last Feb.

3 hours ago, lx200gps said:

Good to know, but with the unlimited casual dining (premier dining package) it wont matter with the size of portion, since we can order more, correct? Not for sharing, say for myself if I was still hungry.

Our first cruise will be in Feb too! 

21 hours ago, dream54ing said:

Hi everyone, first time traveler, so apologize if this is already answered (cant see to find anything on this particular subject)

This question is regarding the casual dining with premier package. Wife and I have the package, but our kids doesn't (2 and 4 yr old). Since we have unlimited casual dining, will they charge for the kids if they tag along with us; even if they dont eat (well they will probably nibble some of our food).

Attached is a pdf for the princess dining options.  Note that for specialty dining it says there will be a charge for certain ages and a surcharge for some items regardless of age.  It does not have this verbiage for the casual restaurants. 

dining-options 2.pdf

Edited by t&atravel
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, t&atravel said:

Attached is a pdf for the princess dining options.  Note that for specialty dining it says there will be a charge for certain ages and a surcharge for some items regardless of age.  It does not have this verbiage for the casual restaurants. 

dining-options 2.pdf 147.86 kB · 1 download

Awesome, Thanks! That's probably where I read it from!

We are currently on the Discovery Princess and asked both at Gigis and at the GastroPub about the charges for young children if they aren’t ordering their own meal.  We found out from both GiGi’s and from the GastroPub that if the child does not order their own meal, there would be no charge.  Nice!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1