Coffee in Main Dining Room

Smitheroo

Just now, dbrown84 said:

The usual genetics, yellow, pink, and blue packets .  I use Splenda, so yellow packet for me 

That's for the dining room (and room setup).  I would assume it's also at Starbucks, but I've never gone to the Starbucks 

I'm happy to have the option to purchase stronger coffee than what is offered in the dining room. It's not just Starbucks "hype". I drank it before it was branded Starbucks on the ships, too. I drink my coffee black, and I like a darker roast. I find the dining room/buffet/room service coffee to taste very watery. Part of the draw of upgrading to P+ is that we get our specialty coffees included, which is what we did every morning on our Bliss cruise last winter.

I have yet to drink a cup of drip coffee in a diner or cruise ship in Canada or the US that doesn't taste like my Nana made it (my mom used to race to the coffee maker when we visited so she could double the grinds before brewing.)

• Like 1

Afraid I have to side with the “gruesome” folks. I don’t like Starbucks, but would buy the Starbucks coffee package if we weren’t in the Haven for our next cruise (The in-room coffee is better).  My daughter would put a packet of hot cocoa in her ship coffee to doctor it, but being lactose intolerant I can’t. I’m not sure why the coffee is not good - it can’t be that hard to make coffee…even *I* can do it and I can’t cook! 😆😆😆

Edited by cooncat_mom
  • Haha 1

Seeing some strong coffee opinions here - woot! I like it.  I will admit to being a coffee snob.  And in most of my previous cruises I could "doctor" it a bit to make it drinkable, but it was still not very good.  Post pandemic what they were calling coffee was absolute swill and on the Sun/April 2023 it was undrinkable and I drank tea for 3 weeks.  

Fast forward to the Breakaway and I can happily report there has been some sort of change and it is definitely for the better.  Both MDR and Buffett.  I know coffee is subjective, but it is noticeably improved and I was wondering if anyone currently onboard any other ship would be willing to risk their taste buds to provide additional data points?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I actually bought Lavazza coffee pods and take them with me.  they work in the coffee makers they bring to the cabin (Must RequesT Coffee Maker).  Much better coffee, yes i paid for these but way .......way cheaper than Starbucks!  I think i pay $9 for enough coffee on a 7 day cruise!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, smillerholmes said:

I can happily report there has been some sort of change and it is definitely for the better.

THIS ⬆️.

i don't drink coffee. never have. (ask anybody who knows me and i am confident they will  tell you that i impulsively leap out of bed in the morning full of sunshine and light and the joy of being alive and don't need a stimulant to get me going. 😉)

so i have no personal experience with this. but i did talk to some folks on my most recent cruise(s) last month on the joy. and they were quite particular about their coffee. and they were saying that from room service to the MDRs to the buffet, they felt that there had been a noticeable improvement in the quality of the coffee.

On 11/5/2023 at 1:36 AM, BirdTravels said:

First, don’t believe everything (criticisms) you read on the internet. Most is Fake News. 

The MDR coffee seems the same to me. They just dump a big bag of grounds in the commercial drip coffee maker and turn it on. 

There has always been a specialty coffee bar on NCL ships. Lately, Starbucks has been awarded contracts to operate the coffee bar on more ships. 

I just can’t see spending $9 for a cup of coffee that is free in the MDR and buffet. I don’t go to Starbucks on land either for the same reason. If I have to buy coffee, McD senior coffee or Wawa coffee is fine for me. 

Well, for one thing i dont think it was $9 a cup for Starbucks. I didnt buy it, my partner did, but I'm guessing that is a bit of an exaggeration.   As for your other argument, its up to the person and the reason they drink coffee in the first place. If I am after the effects of caffeine why would I drink coffee that didnt provide that for me (unless I had no other choice)  If they had McDs on board I would buy substitute coffee there.   

On 11/6/2023 at 7:26 PM, BirdTravels said:

I was responding to someone who asserted that fewer people drink drip coffee. The facts differ from the assertion. We would never buy Starbucks or specialty coffees on land or at see. 

And just observation that there are not 4200 people in line at Starbucks each morning. Only the very very very few who have bought into the hype (and there are not many of them). 

Where's the hype?  They prefer one kind of coffee over another and are willing to stand in line and pay extra for it.  Thats called personal preference.  I'll go with the dining room coffee as long as it delivers what I am looking for in coffee. It was when it didnt I noticed.  I'm also lazy and not willing to spend so much for coffee as Starbucks but others see things differently

I admit to being a coffee snob. We grind our own beans every morning. I dislike what starbucks serves. So if I am not going to like the coffee I will go with the free every day!

I am interested in having a machine in our room-- what kind of coffee would I need for this?

• Like 1