Carnival Panorama Propulsion Issues

welldone60

On the Miracle now  just pulling into Ensenada. We passed the Panorama heading North on Friday and again yesterday heading South about midway between Cabo and Long Beach. It is sad to hear it’s happening again, we’re on the NYE cruise with 4 other couples to celebrate hubby’s 70th birthday. We should be ok but hopefully they get it fixed quickly and don’t have to cancel any cruises. 

• Like 1

They will arrive in Cabo Wednesday and stay 6:30-4:00 then head back to Long Beach. Each cabin will receive $400 OBC. I’m on the November 18th sailing which is the 8 day itinerary. While I wouldn’t be happy with 1 port, I would still have a good time. Hopefully they will be able to fix it soon!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LatinaInTexas said:

Heard from someone also onboard, said they were getting $400 OBC per cabin. Not what a lot of people want but it's a decent gesture🤷

Personally, I find that completely inadequate. I view mechanical failure in an entirely different light than weather related issues. Personally, I thought Greenland was close to fair. This, not so much. Again, personal opinion only.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CruisingFromLA said:

I can't believe all 3 Vista Class ships have had the same issue multiple times. They had years and have not found a permanent fix to this problem. 

Unfortunately, when you have a common design, then common design flaws affect all instances.

From what I gather, one of the issues is that there is a lot of power applied to those azipods, more than the previous versions on the Dream class for example, because the Vista class is just that bit bigger, and it is simply over-stressing certain components.  Seals fail, etc.

The "best" solution would be to redesign the azipods to be beefier etc, but there may be physical constraints limiting that (only so much room below decks, etc) and it may be prohibitively costly.

We're sailing on the Vista "soon", and I am a little concerned we won't make all the ports we have planned if she suffers a similar issue (again).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, john91498 said:

Wow, I've been on that ship at least 4 or 5 times and there were never any problems with the propulsion systems.

Just got lucky I guess...

@ProgRockCruiseris correct that the Vista class seems to have pushed the design envelop just a bit too far. All 3 have had problems, some more significant than others. I suppose the good news is that Carnival has lots of 'fixin' experience.

Edited by jsglow

10 hours ago, clairebearinaus said:

I'm also on the December 2 cruise and we're flying halfway around the world to see Mexico for the first time, so it will be incredibly disappointing if the issue isn't fixed by then. 

I sure hope that this is fixed and we make all of our ports!  That sure is a long way for you to travel for a cruise.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jsglow said:

Personally, I find that completely inadequate. I view mechanical failure in an entirely different light than weather related issues. Personally, I thought Greenland was close to fair. This, not so much. Again, personal opinion only.

I guess it's better than the usual $50pp per missed port I see offered but yeah I wouldn't be happy. I cruise for ports, exploring and doing new things, don't care for sea days so I would be upset.

1 hour ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Unfortunately, when you have a common design, then common design flaws affect all instances.

The "best" solution would be to redesign the azipods to be beefier etc, but there may be physical constraints limiting that (only so much room below decks, etc) and it may be prohibitively costly.

Have there been any Vista 'new builds' since Panorama for any line? I may have to research that a little bit. No doubt re-engineering existing is problematic but you always try to incorporate your best knowledge into current projects. As you've said and I think we all agree, this has become a design flaw in retrospect obviously.  Kinda like the transmission on a Ford Explorer from the 2000s.

• Like 1

I was on the sailing that got back on Nov 4th. After we left Cabo we were doing 21.5 knots ave until we got to Huntington Beach, then we slowed to 10 knots ave. I thought it was just because we were so close to home. We also hit a lot of fog coming into Long Beach, which is pretty normal. It was a very smooth ride both ways, and  was a great cruise. I hope they fix it fast.

• Like 2