Cool weather drinks

mariners

I have tried to search on this board, looked at different menus, and read some blogs to find the answer to my questions.  Although there is mention of 11 a.m. bouillon on some cruises, this does not appear to be a consistent offering.  Should I bring my own instant options such as Bovril or Oxo, or is this something offered on all cruises?  I don't need to be ill to enjoy a hot toddy.   Is that something that is typically available?  I'm sure there are many cool weather drinks offered onboard other than tea and coffee, I'd love to hear some other, low to no caffeine, suggestions of drinks offered on Viking.  Thank you.

27 minutes ago, mariners said:

I have tried to search on this board, looked at different menus, and read some blogs to find the answer to my questions.  Although there is mention of 11 a.m. bouillon on some cruises, this does not appear to be a consistent offering.  Should I bring my own instant options such as Bovril or Oxo, or is this something offered on all cruises?  I don't need to be ill to enjoy a hot toddy.   Is that something that is typically available?  I'm sure there are many cool weather drinks offered onboard other than tea and coffee, I'd love to hear some other, low to no caffeine, suggestions of drinks offered on Viking.  Thank you.

Two fingers of a good bourbon (or Tennessee whiskey) is always your best bet.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Meander Ingwa said:

I have heard cocoa mention , several times as a welcome back drink upon return from excursions on cold days.

I always make my way right over to the bar when returning from these excursions and order an Irish coffee—light on the coffee!  (But I’m a lightweight)

1 hour ago, duquephart said:

Top shelf???????????????

But in all seriousness, I do carry it in my flask.  I ski over 50 days a year, and this will warm you up - no need in wasting the good stuff on the slope.  It's not uncommon to see the younger lads carrying a fifth of it in their jacket.  

1 minute ago, mwike said:

But in all seriousness, I do carry it in my flask.  I ski over 50 days a year, and this will warm you up - no need in wasting the good stuff on the slope.  It's not uncommon to see the younger lads carrying a fifth of it in their jacket.  

Try Rumplemintz next time.

8 minutes ago, mwike said:

Well, I think that’s the point.  That’s why I don’t make mimosas with Dom Pérignon!  (But again, I’m a lightweight and out of my league here). 

Edited by SantaFe1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, duquephart said:

Try Rumplemintz next time.

I've had Rumplemintz, but certainly prefer Fireball at 12,000' and near zero Fahrenheit temps.  And Fireball is the local fave on the slope.  But I'll stop hijacking the post with my attempt at humor.  I'm assuming the OP doesn't share my advanced palate for liquor.  

2 minutes ago, mwike said:

I've had Rumplemintz, but certainly prefer Fireball at 12,000' and near zero Fahrenheit temps.  And Fireball is the local fave on the slope.  But I'll stop hijacking the post with my attempt at humor.  I'm assuming the OP doesn't share my advanced palate for liquor.  

Being a "fave" doesn't make it good - but I'll quit now too 🙂.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mwike said:

I've had Rumplemintz, but certainly prefer Fireball at 12,000' and near zero Fahrenheit temps. 

Well, we ski here at 10000 feet and have never imbibed either.  Prefer something a bit smoother.  But again…. I need to leave this topic.  LOL!  

• Haha 1

Most threads on CC go off in multiple directions, and nobody is hijacking this thread 😀

mwike, I have not skied and had Fireball Cinnamon Whisky, but I've had "shots" and have to admit it is not one of my favourite drinks.  It's made with Canadian whisky, and is sold at our government run liquor marts, and is typically served as "shots" by the people I know who enjoy the flavour.  

duquephart, Rumplemintz is not a term that I was familiar with but, after a trusty Google check, I found out that it is schnapps.  That, the peppermint flavour, I have had my share of, and enjoyed at hockey arenas, winter bonfires, hay rides, ...  Where I live, it is frequently added to coffee, hot chocolate, and some types of tea to enjoy when participating in winter events/activities, but "shots" are always an option.

I realize from the answers that I, obviously, did not word my post in such a way that was clear.  I've read the drink menus, but don't see items such as mulled wine, heated Bloody Mary's, hot toddy's, and other drinks that I have had onboard a ship that are offered around the pool (or other areas) as a "Special of the Day" on cool weather days.  I wondered if something similar was available on Viking Ocean, and/or if passengers can request those drinks.

We love to spend time outside on a ship regardless of the weather.  The only time we remain indoors is if the outdoor decks are closed.  Having a hot drink, alcohol or not, that is either low caffeine or no caffeine enhances that experience for me. 

Thanks for all the responses, and the laughs. 

3 hours ago, mariners said:

Most threads on CC go off in multiple directions, and nobody is hijacking this thread 😀

mwike, I have not skied and had Fireball Cinnamon Whisky, but I've had "shots" and have to admit it is not one of my favourite drinks.  It's made with Canadian whisky, and is sold at our government run liquor marts, and is typically served as "shots" by the people I know who enjoy the flavour.  

duquephart, Rumplemintz is not a term that I was familiar with but, after a trusty Google check, I found out that it is schnapps.  That, the peppermint flavour, I have had my share of, and enjoyed at hockey arenas, winter bonfires, hay rides, ...  Where I live, it is frequently added to coffee, hot chocolate, and some types of tea to enjoy when participating in winter events/activities, but "shots" are always an option.

I realize from the answers that I, obviously, did not word my post in such a way that was clear.  I've read the drink menus, but don't see items such as mulled wine, heated Bloody Mary's, hot toddy's, and other drinks that I have had onboard a ship that are offered around the pool (or other areas) as a "Special of the Day" on cool weather days.  I wondered if something similar was available on Viking Ocean, and/or if passengers can request those drinks.

We love to spend time outside on a ship regardless of the weather.  The only time we remain indoors is if the outdoor decks are closed.  Having a hot drink, alcohol or not, that is either low caffeine or no caffeine enhances that experience for me. 

Thanks for all the responses, and the laughs. 

Rumplemintz is not the sweet/candy schnapps you might be familiar with. It is no-nonsense German peppermint schnapps. Bracing!

I don't know what happened during the night/today, but I got locked out of posting on CC, and asked to verify my e-mail.  I did, multiple times, but nothing worked.  It appears, at least if this posts, that I am back.

Rumplemintz, if it's not sweet, would be something I would happily try as I am always looking for drinks that are not overly, to my palate, sweet.  I'll have to check and see if it is offered for sale here.  

Baileys Amarula, or Carolans, and hot chocolate are always a winning combination.  My DH will definitely enjoy those drinks if they are offered onboard.

If I manage to get on CC, I'll try and post live in December.  Thanks, again, for the answers! 

Definitely available often had a Baileys and Hot Chocolate in the Explorer's Lounge while watching for birds and whales during the cruise around South America while onboard the Jupiter!

Edited by deec
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, mariners said:

I don't know what happened during the night/today, but I got locked out of posting on CC, and asked to verify my e-mail.  I did, multiple times, but nothing worked.  It appears, at least if this posts, that I am back.

Rumplemintz, if it's not sweet, would be something I would happily try as I am always looking for drinks that are not overly, to my palate, sweet.  I'll have to check and see if it is offered for sale here.  

Baileys Amarula, or Carolans, and hot chocolate are always a winning combination.  My DH will definitely enjoy those drinks if they are offered onboard.

If I manage to get on CC, I'll try and post live in December.  Thanks, again, for the answers! 

With any luck you might find a 50ml bottle to try.