Anniversary Western Europe cruise suggestions.

Egreg19

My wife and I will be traveling to London for 14 days in April 2024.

Were currently debating on whether we want to do land based sightseeing or take a cruise.

We have done a Princess cruise in the past to Alaska and one to Caribbean.

We want to try to fit in Disneyland Paris on this trip, so that will limit the length of cruise we can do. to maybe 8 ish days with as many stops as possible.

We aren't necessarily set on a princess cruise, however we are currently part of the "Ecosystem"

I just wanted to feel out what some of the London based cruises people have done, and whether they feel like that was a nice way to fit in a lot of sightseeing.

Thanks!

I think most people would always say take a land trip over a cruise for the best in depth exposure to a country. You see much more, particularly of the things that might most interest you, because you control the itinerary. In tour case, it would be very easy to build a trip in England, then Eurostar to Paris, spend a few days there, and then off to Disneyland. We have done a couple of land trips with schedules like I just described.

We love cruising, but also love Europe land tours. This last June we did 3 days in Amsterdam, tarin to Paris, 3 days, train to Bayeau, 3 days, train to Reims. Went perfectly and saw lots of Europe.

Completely agree with CruiserBruce's opinion about land based tourism. And, please don't spend all your UK time in London - it really is a different country to where most of us live and you will miss so much, even on a short trip, if you don't get out and about.

• Like 2

You can easily get to Amsterdam, as well, via Eurostar train as option for cruise departures, esp. if you're going to Paris. We love cruising and usually do 1/2 land and a week cruising.

Another option, if you're going to Disney Paris to based out of the DLP area for a few days, to explore France. There are good train connections from the DLP train station to Reims and (farther out to Strasbourg). You can also take a relaxing bus ride thru the countryside from DLP station to Provins, a medieval town. With a car rental, the excellent WWI museum in Meaux is just 15 minutes from DLP. 

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that a land based vacation gives you much more in depth experience of the country than a cruise.   However, there are destinations where cruises are more ideal than a land vacation.... Norway is one place which is really ideal for cruising and you can leave from Southampton.   

I do think cruises are more relaxing than a land based vacation.   For 14 days away I think 7 days on land and then a 7 day cruise would appeal to me.   14 days all on land if you are transporting yourself via trains or driving, seems too much for me.  

A 7 day land trip in the U.K. followed by a Norway cruise seems ideal to me but it doesn't get you to France and Disneyland.    To do a land trip in the U.K. followed by a land trip in France seems like it would be difficult to fit a cruise in there. 

Have fun planning!

15 hours ago, CCJack said:

To do a land trip in the U.K. followed by a land trip in France seems like it would be difficult to fit a cruise in there.

I agree with that. DLP is creating a bit of an itinerary complication and without it, you would possibly find it easier to plan as there is usually  an abundance of 7 or 8 night cruises out of both Dover and Southampton which would still give you time to explore some of the UK.

If DLP is at the start or end of your trip, that might give you enough time for a  shorter cruise, maybe 4 or 5 days at most, and have a few days in London, but would a cruise that short be worth it or would you be better staying on land?

Alternatively, (and already suggested)  if you are already in France and visiting DLP, why not simply stay in France and explore some of the other interesting towns or cities there?  You could fly into and out of Paris and think about including the city itself  as that is close to DLP.  Could even stay in the city and travel daily to DLP. The TGVs are easy enough to use and  it would be simpler than trying to include the UK in addition. And remember that you will be carrying your luggage from place to place, so one or two bases from which you can go out daily without luggage might be more manageable.

Edited by edinburgher