Hotels san pedro

mameeo

We are looking at staying in San Pedro before our cruise, do any of you amazing cruise critic people have any suggestions on best place to stay. We normally stay in long beach but there must be something happening next April as they are either sold out or beyond pricey. 

Thank you so much for any suggestions. 
cheers🍷

The aforementioned Crowne Plaza and the Doubletree are pretty much the only decent hotels in San Pedro. As the whole area is not that great, we have taken to staying up in Torrance after arrival at LAX. Half way to San Pedro and a much nicer area with lots of good hotels, restaurants, shopping etc, not nearly as expensive as Long Beach. A shorter drive from LAX but a bit longer drive on embarkation morning.

• Like 1

LA local here. The reason there is nothing available in Long Beach, April 2024 is the Long Beach Grand Prix. 

There are two places, 2 and 3 stars rated, but you can walk to the pier. Those are the Studio 6 Suites and the Sunrise Hotel. Only saying they are not known as widely as those others mentioned and you might find a vacancy, if something better is not available. Both border on 6th street. Also on 6th is the San Pedro Cafe which we enjoy for meals.

21 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

There are two places, 2 and 3 stars rated, but you can walk to the pier. Those are the Studio 6 Suites and the Sunrise Hotel.

I think you are a bit confused.  This is the SAME motel.  What was once the Sunrise closed down awhile back and the property was purchased by Motel 6 and reopened as "Studio 6" (a secondary concept of Motel 6 Inc.).  Same place.  As Sunrise, it was continually reviewed as one of the worst hotels anywhere.  I expect Motel 6 to have improved on the Sunrise standards...but, until I see something to support that, I'd still stay away.  (And, note:  I am NOT someone with a deep bias against Motel 6.  I started my long career as a corporate real estate attorney working for Motel 6, Inc.--back in 1977-1981).

For ME, still only two hotels I would stay at in San Pedro--the Crowne Plaza and the Doubletree.  I live in SoCal, but have often checked into one of these for the night before a cruise just for the convenience of the embarkation day logistics.  Since I've had my car with me, the slightly less convenience of the Doubletree (few restaurants nearby) hasn't caused me an issue.  I park my car at the hotel and shuttle or Uber from the Doubletree or shuttle or walk from the CP.  Parking at DT is safe but exposed...at the CP, it's under the hotel.  The CP location is extremely v=convenient with many restaurants within a couple of blocks.  I particularly like the San Pedro Brewing Co. and the Green Onion.

Edited by Bruin Steve
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

I think you are a bit confused.  This is the SAME motel.  What was once the Sunrise closed down awhile back and the property was purchased by Motel 6 and reopened as "Studio 6" (a secondary concept of Motel 6 Inc.).  Same place.  As Sunrise, it was continually reviewed as one of the worst hotels anywhere.  I expect Motel 6 to have improved on the Sunrise standards...but, until I see something to support that, I'd still stay away.  (And, note:  I am NOT someone with a deep bias against Motel 6.  I started my long career as a corporate real estate attorney working for Motel 6, Inc.--back in 1977-1981).

For ME, still only two hotels I would stay at in San Pedro--the Crowne Plaza and the Doubletree.  I live in SoCal, but have often checked into one of these for the night before a cruise just for the convenience of the embarkation day logistics.  Since I've had my car with me, the slightly less convenience of the Doubletree (few restaurants nearby) hasn't caused me an issue.  I park my car at the hotel and shuttle or Uber from the Doubletree or shuttle or walk from the CP.  Parking at DT is safe but exposed...at the CP, it's under the hotel.  The CP location is extremely v=convenient with many restaurants within a couple of blocks.  I particularly like the San Pedro Brewing Co. and the Green Onion.

Google maps showed as two, oh well.

Of course, for the ports of San Pedro or Long Beach, you and I have the option, neighbor, of getting a ride from home, day of sailing if we want to, or going directly home after the cruise. The OP wants to arrive ahead, from Vancouver BC, on what sounds like Grand Prix weekend. You or I can stay where we prefer, or stay/go home if we don't like the availability.

The problem stated by the OP is a problem of finding a hotel, "...not sold out or beyond pricy." I wrote, "If something better is not available." I never said it was a desirable option, but an option it is, in light of the Grand Prix in town, which is the topic of this thread.

Thank you all. I believe we will check into either the doubletree,or crown plaza. 
we actually are arriving the 5 th of April and Grand Prix is closer to end. Not sure if this is still the reason for the hotel surge and no availability, or some other reason, but regardless we will have to stay in San Pedro. We arrive fairly early so will drop our bags then take Uber to long beach for the day. 
Again thank you for all your thoughts and suggestions. 
cheers🍷

16 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

Google maps showed as two, oh well.

Of course, for the ports of San Pedro or Long Beach, you and I have the option, neighbor...

Sorry if you took my response personnally...Nothing personal was intended.  I only wanted to point out misinformation so as to avoid any confusion for the OP and others.  Sure they need a hotel SOMEWHERE.  But, if it's San Pedro, there are limited options...and the Sunrise isn't one of them...hasn't been for a few years.  You can't just do your research on Google maps...it often shows locations for closed businesses.  The other alternatives may be to stay a little out of the area--up in Torrance by Del Amo or even closer to the airport in, for example El Segundo...Those would not be NY first choice, but if there is unavailability closer, I'd stay there rather than a substandard hotel.

On a similar thread on another well-known social media site, someone recommended the Best Western Suites San Pedro.  I pointed out that the BW, also, had closed.  And the poster responded that, NO, I was wrong--that they had stayed there just a couple of months ago.  They said I must have a bad source.  Impossible I told them, perhaps they were confused and, if they stayed at a Best Western, perhaps it was not in San Pedro, but another town.  I posted links to some very good sources--like the Daily Breeze, the local newspaper of record.  They quickly deleted their original post, which, in turn, deleted all of the responses.  I think they finally realized how wrong they were.

When viewing recommendations on sites like these, nothing trumps actual local knowledge from people who actually live or work in the immediate area or visit the area often.  A lot of people post based on visits in the not-too-recent past or on internet searches.  I vistit San Pedro often and try to keep up with the goings-on.  I actually had dinner last night with the chief administrator of the Los Angeles harbor authority...and one important bit I learned was while discussing the reported soon-to-be closure of the Green Onion restaurant.  He told me he doesn't expect that to happen anytime soon.  I am so happy to hear that.  Great place to go for Mexican Food in San Pedro--close to the port and to the Crowne Plaza.

1 hour ago, mameeo said:

Thank you all. I believe we will check into either the doubletree,or crown plaza. 
we actually are arriving the 5 th of April and Grand Prix is closer to end. Not sure if this is still the reason for the hotel surge and no availability, or some other reason...

The Grand Prix is most often the big reason for Long Beach hotels filling up...however there are a lot of other reasons it happens time to time.  The Long Beach Convention Center will have a number of conferences from time-to-time that might bring in enough people to fill the hotels.  For example, on April 4-7, this conference is in Long Beach:

https://www.physiology.org/professional-development/meetings-events/american-physiology-summit/dates-and-deadlines?SSO=Y

The National Conference on Undergraduate Research (NCUR) will take place from April 8-10, 2024.

It is a 3-day trade show and conference "that brings together experts from across the world...".  I don't know how many they expect to attend these conferences, but conferences like these can also have an impact.

Edited by Bruin Steve

• 2 months later...
On 11/11/2023 at 11:37 AM, Bruin Steve said:

So both hotels offer secure parking for the cruise? Are they cheaper or more secure than parking at the port?

6 hours ago, mkcurran said:

So both hotels offer secure parking for the cruise? Are they cheaper or more secure than parking at the port?

Both the Crowne Plaza and the Doubletree offer Park and Cruise hotel rates--you get a room for the night and it includes parking for the length of the cruise.  Whether or not it works out cheaper than parking at the pier depends on what rate you get--as rates vary over time.  We've had it where the room and parking at the CP cost us within about $20 of just parking at the pier.  We've also booked the DT with Hilton points at a rate which didn't include parking--but we asked the hotel and they said they'd allow us to park for free.  But, at times, the rates can also be much higher.

The Parking at the CP is VERY secure.  It's in th ebasement of the hotel.  At the DT, the parking is in am open lot in front of the hotel...but the hotel is in a quiet area away from downtown--an area with a much lower crime rate..so, perhaps a litle safer.  But we've never had a problem leaving our car at the pier or at either hotel.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

Both the Crowne Plaza and the Doubletree offer Park and Cruise hotel rates--you get a room for the night and it includes parking for the length of the cruise.  Whether or not it works out cheaper than parking at the pier depends on what rate you get--as rates vary over time.  We've had it where the room and parking at the CP cost us within about $20 of just parking at the pier.  We've also booked the DT with Hilton points at a rate which didn't include parking--but we asked the hotel and they said they'd allow us to park for free.  But, at times, the rates can also be much higher.

The Parking at the CP is VERY secure.  It's in th ebasement of the hotel.  At the DT, the parking is in am open lot in front of the hotel...but the hotel is in a quiet area away from downtown--an area with a much lower crime rate..so, perhaps a litle safer.  But we've never had a problem leaving our car at the pier or at either hotel.  

Thank you!