First time cruising with VV - have a few newbie questions:)

qq830821

Hi all, 

First time cruising with VV( Resilient Lady) so appreciate if ppl can help answer my questions.

1 we are a group of 4 and i have linked two cabins together. is there any way to see whether the two cabins are linked on the VV app?

2. We really interested in trying Gunbae but would much prefer just dine with 4 of us. Do they have a table of 4 or can we request a table of 4?

3. If our cabins are linked together how do I book dining reservations for 4 of us? 

4. For the premium wifi, do i pay it upfront then VV will reimburse it?

5. If we only want to provide 1 credit card to settle all the bills on board, can we do that? if so, how do we do it? will they allow us to put in the same credit card details?

6. When do we need to get back to the ship for the shore day? is it usually 1 hour before departure?

7 Can we request dismemberment time as other cruise?

8 We are all DB members and all have the $100 bar tab loaded on our apps, does that mean we have 400 bar tabs in total? 

Thank you all.

1. VV app is pretty bad, so I doubt it. I couldn't even change my credit card in the app, had to go to guest services. I could be wrong though.

FWIW, Scarlet Lady deck plans are here, including cabins

https://www.virginvoyages.com/dam/jcr:057dce8f-801a-40b6-96db-aafd987bce65/Scarlet-Lady-Deck-Plans.pdf

there is a symbol for connecting cabins - || 

If your cabins are connecting, you should see that symbol. Deck plans for other VV ships are identical. If you don't see that symbol for your two cabins, I'd call VV. 

2. I doubt it. The restaurants get pretty full, and they typically book up a full table of 6 at Gunbae and wait for everyone to show up before serving you. The chef cooks for the entire table so I would be surprised if they allowed just 4 at a table. But you can ask, it doesn't hurt. Maybe if you show up at 6pm sharp? 

3. I haven't tried it but know other people were able to do it. I saw several groups that showed up all together, or people that showed up and said they were on someone's reservation. I'd say if you book two separate reservations for two people each and then just tell Maitre' d that you want to seat together, that would be safest. Hopefully someone else will chime in here.

4. Not sure, sorry.

5. I know it's possible for just one cabin, not sure it's possible for all 4 people in 2 cabins. Maybe talk to the guest services once you are onboard. If you don't mind giving your credit card number to the other two people they can just use it when checking in.

6. I believe it was 30 minutes. Safest to check in the daily program though. 

7. You can request disembarkation time. It's kinda tricky. You have to go to "Shore Excursions" in the app for the debarkation day, and there you will be able to book your debarkation time. I don't think it's available right away, but will become available at some point during the cruise. You can also just stay in your cabin until whenever you are ready to debark. The app kept crashing for us so by the time we got to the debarkation time booking only 9am was available. We wanted to get off the ship as late as possible. We called guest services/operator and they told us we can just stay in the cabin until 10:30am, no problem. Our cabin attendant knocked on the door at 10:15am. Mostly people seem to want to stay on the ship till as late as possible. 

8. Not sure, sorry.

• Like 1

Currently on Valiant.  Note--everything on VV is subject to change

!.  Are you asking whether your cabins are "linked" as in all 4 of you can make reservations for each other, etc. on the app?  This is easy to see and do.  If you see their faces/names, you are linked.  If you are asking if the cabins link, no...but some of the balconies do. You can't tell this on the app.

2.no

3. If you are linked on the app, all 4 faces will show up when you attempt to make any reservation, you click on the face(s) that are to be included in the reservation.   When it comes to the "confirm" screen, it will say "reservation for 4."

4. You don't pay for any DBE benefits.  They are automatically not charged.  NOTE--they used to be charged and the charge removed within 24 hours. This has now been fixed.

5. Yes.  When you do the advance check in, list the same credit card for each cabin.  Check the box that you are responsible for each person in the cabin. If it argues with you in the app, go to Sailor Services and they can fix it.

6. It will be clearly noted on the app, at the gangway, on the elevators, etc.  All aboard time is usually 30 minutes before the ship departs.

7.  You schedule a disembarkation time on the app under "shore things"  This option will open up during your cruise.  The don't do dismemberment on the cruise unless you are drunk and disorderly.

8.  DBE benefits are supposed to be "per cabin," but on this current cruise, the complimentary bar tab was "per person."

If you used a gold tier travel agent, he or she should be able to make your dining reservations for you.  Mine is up and does it at midnight.  It is FAR more reliable on the TA portal than on the app.  If you didn't use one, you can transfer after making your initial reservation.  Not using one means you may be leaving more than a few benefits out of your reservation.  For instance, many "First Mates" have "My Next Virgin Voyage" certificates that they can sell you at cost....which saves you $300 per cabin on the fare and gives you $600 per cabin in "loot." 

5 hours ago, TripsYouMustDo said:

1. VV app is pretty bad, so I doubt it. I couldn't even change my credit card in the app, had to go to guest services. I could be wrong though.

FWIW, Scarlet Lady deck plans are here, including cabins

https://www.virginvoyages.com/dam/jcr:057dce8f-801a-40b6-96db-aafd987bce65/Scarlet-Lady-Deck-Plans.pdf

there is a symbol for connecting cabins - || 

If your cabins are connecting, you should see that symbol. Deck plans for other VV ships are identical. If you don't see that symbol for your two cabins, I'd call VV. 

2. I doubt it. The restaurants get pretty full, and they typically book up a full table of 6 at Gunbae and wait for everyone to show up before serving you. The chef cooks for the entire table so I would be surprised if they allowed just 4 at a table. But you can ask, it doesn't hurt. Maybe if you show up at 6pm sharp? 

3. I haven't tried it but know other people were able to do it. I saw several groups that showed up all together, or people that showed up and said they were on someone's reservation. I'd say if you book two separate reservations for two people each and then just tell Maitre' d that you want to seat together, that would be safest. Hopefully someone else will chime in here.

4. Not sure, sorry.

5. I know it's possible for just one cabin, not sure it's possible for all 4 people in 2 cabins. Maybe talk to the guest services once you are onboard. If you don't mind giving your credit card number to the other two people they can just use it when checking in.

6. I believe it was 30 minutes. Safest to check in the daily program though. 

7. You can request disembarkation time. It's kinda tricky. You have to go to "Shore Excursions" in the app for the debarkation day, and there you will be able to book your debarkation time. I don't think it's available right away, but will become available at some point during the cruise. You can also just stay in your cabin until whenever you are ready to debark. The app kept crashing for us so by the time we got to the debarkation time booking only 9am was available. We wanted to get off the ship as late as possible. We called guest services/operator and they told us we can just stay in the cabin until 10:30am, no problem. Our cabin attendant knocked on the door at 10:15am. Mostly people seem to want to stay on the ship till as late as possible. 

8. Not sure, sorry.

Thanks for your time and reply really helpful:)

33 minutes ago, cantgetin said:

Currently on Valiant.  Note--everything on VV is subject to change

!.  Are you asking whether your cabins are "linked" as in all 4 of you can make reservations for each other, etc. on the app?  This is easy to see and do.  If you see their faces/names, you are linked.  If you are asking if the cabins link, no...but some of the balconies do. You can't tell this on the app.

2.no

3. If you are linked on the app, all 4 faces will show up when you attempt to make any reservation, you click on the face(s) that are to be included in the reservation.   When it comes to the "confirm" screen, it will say "reservation for 4."

4. You don't pay for any DBE benefits.  They are automatically not charged.  NOTE--they used to be charged and the charge removed within 24 hours. This has now been fixed.

5. Yes.  When you do the advance check in, list the same credit card for each cabin.  Check the box that you are responsible for each person in the cabin. If it argues with you in the app, go to Sailor Services and they can fix it.

6. It will be clearly noted on the app, at the gangway, on the elevators, etc.  All aboard time is usually 30 minutes before the ship departs.

7.  You schedule a disembarkation time on the app under "shore things"  This option will open up during your cruise.  The don't do dismemberment on the cruise unless you are drunk and disorderly.

8.  DBE benefits are supposed to be "per cabin," but on this current cruise, the complimentary bar tab was "per person."

If you used a gold tier travel agent, he or she should be able to make your dining reservations for you.  Mine is up and does it at midnight.  It is FAR more reliable on the TA portal than on the app.  If you didn't use one, you can transfer after making your initial reservation.  Not using one means you may be leaving more than a few benefits out of your reservation.  For instance, many "First Mates" have "My Next Virgin Voyage" certificates that they can sell you at cost....which saves you $300 per cabin on the fare and gives you $600 per cabin in "loot." 

thanks for the reply can you pls let me know where i can see this on the VV app? I just cant seem to be able to find it:(

Edited by qq830821

3 hours ago, qq830821 said:

thanks for the reply can you pls let me know where i can see this on the VV app? I just cant seem to be able to find it:(

OK, here's the small problem....since I am on the ship right now, I can't view the "pre-cruise" app.  On the app I can see, on the first page there is a section that is titled "View and add your mates."  That's where I can link people now.  I kNOW there is a similar section on the pre-cruise app, but I can't see it at the moment...I even tried to view my next cruise--can't do it.

I KNOW it can happen because I've done it before.  Call Sailor Services at VV Shoreside or your travel agent and have them walk you thru it if you can't find it.  It is very easy, provided they have done their pre-cruise sign on or at least part of it.  My adult daughter didn't add her photo till about 2 days before the cruise, but I could add her long before that as she had put in SOME of her stuff on the app.  Ditto with friends in other rooms.

Re no 2 - my group of 4 ate at Gunbae and were seated with another couple. It was fine. Odds are good that if you are seated with another couple, that couple may not have wanted to share a table, either, so everyone already has something in common!

Kidding aside, the drinking game is about the only time you have to interact with other people. Don't get me wrong, I don't like communal dining and prefer to avoid it whenever I can -- however, if you are really excited about Gunbae, then I wouldn't necessarily let the communal dining aspect keep you away. 

• Like 2