Windjammer Buffet for Holiday Dinner: Do They Do Anything Special?

4 hours ago, BlackForest said:

Gosh, I really enjoyed reading everyone's input. Can't thank you all enough. Special shout out to Bonsai3s for mentioning all the holiday festivities on Navigator. That gets me even more excited for our family. We will be traveling with an 18 month old so Santa photo op should be fun...if the little guy doesn't get too scared of Santa 😆

You all raise excellent points. My thought is...indeed it is the family's decision to book an excursion that conflicts with our early main dining time. We weren't forced to book it so RC doesn't really have to make any accommodations for us. Mum@Mercury raises an interesting point that the family may not want to go from an excursion and then change into formal-ish wear to go to Chops later that night. We tend to be early dinner people and we booked Chops for 8 pm (which was lucky we could get in even that early...next available time was 10 pm). And perhaps my niece and nephew with their 18 month old would prefer earlier dining at Windjammer than late night and longer dining at Chops?!

As with all families we have conflicting desires within the family. Some like the idea of formal night dress up Christmas Eve; others prefer to save the $ since the Chops Holiday dinner is sort of a rip off due to the little added value for the extra charge. Which is confirmed by Willing292...thanks for sharing your experiences for Chops Holiday dinner.

I have enough "ammunition" from your feedback to push my sis in the direction of Windjammer. And as C-leg5 mentioned we can try for perhaps a My Time Dining for just that night once we explain to the Maitre D when on board. But we will have to cancel our Chops reservation now knowing that Windjammer is the likely dining experience for Christmas Eve.

Thanks CC family...your input is valued by me and my family. Enjoy the holiday season!

Have a great time!  It truly is what is best for your family.  And it sounds like you have figured it out. 😁

• Like 1

A whole new thought:  Your excursion is a sunset sail type thing?  Could you consider doing an EARLY LUNCH together -- either in the MDR or a specialty -- and then heading out to your excursion together?  If you opt for a specialty, a lunch would cost less, and I completely understand that being a sticking point.  Also, having had your meal together mid-day would mean that -- upon your return -- individuals could split up to do whatever they please for the evening meal.  Some could shower, then go to a specialty, others could just pick up some pizza and retire early. 

Could be a WIN for everyone.

• Like 2

A specialty lunch would have been another good option for Xmas Eve. What it looks like we finally settled on (that the entire group agrees) is to go to Hooked for Xmas Eve dinner. This specialty restaurant did NOT have the upcharge for a holiday dinner. We have one family member who doesn't eat seafood so we thought this wouldn't be an option. But they said it was fine with them since there is a steak option they can order at Hooked. Rumor has it the steak comes from Chops 😉

So after all the back and forth on Windjammer buffet v. Chops Holiday dinner we booked Hooked for dinner at the Black Friday sale price! We not only saved $ but my sis and I love lobster so we are thrilled.

Again thanks to you all...even though we "zigged" instead of "zagging" all your input was helpful. Have a happy holiday season!

• Like 3