Southampton uk hotels

Toad

We always stay at Moxy, beside WestQuay Mall and very close to other restaurants and bars.  They have a great breakfast buffet included and it’s quite British fare.  Lots to do in the area.  Just a short walk up the road to a lovely Boots  where I stock up on cosmetics.  Very clean and modern hotel and we really love it.

• Like 1

We've stayed in Leonardos which was pretty good. Breakfast great but their in house meals for dinner were not too good. However heaps of restaurants within a few minutes. For our cruise from there in July we are trying the Holiday Inn this time which is not as expensive and gets good reviews. Both are close to the port although with bags it may depend on what dock you leave from as to whether you'll need a taxi.

1 hour ago, Toad said:

Just wondering which hotel Princess uses in Southampton

Princess doesn't offer pre-cruise hotels in Southampton.

In London, you can chose from these (if you want to book with Princess):
- May Fair London
- Leonardo Royal Hotel London Tower Bridge
- Radisson Blu Edwardian Grafton

Thank you all.  I have sailed out of Southampton in the past but went directly to ship from Heathrow and found it exhausting. We were thinking of flying in a few days in advance this time and hoping to rent a car. My husband is a bit reticent to drive but hoping to tour around for a bit before cruising.  We haven’t booked anything yet, still very much in the planning stage.  

1 hour ago, Toad said:

Thank you all.  I have sailed out of Southampton in the past but went directly to ship from Heathrow and found it exhausting. We were thinking of flying in a few days in advance this time and hoping to rent a car. My husband is a bit reticent to drive but hoping to tour around for a bit before cruising.  We haven’t booked anything yet, still very much in the planning stage.  

Not much to keep you occupied for more than a day or so in Southampton in my opinion but would definitely recommend you catch the ferry over to the Isle of Wight and spend some a day there. Plenty to see over there and very easy to get to by frequent ferries. 

If your husband doesn't want to drive there are a few day tours from Southampton you can also book.

Edited by leck57

We stayed at the Southampton Harbour Hotel before our September cruise. Lovely hotel and very close to port. We booked a transfer from Heathrow that included a stop at Stonehenge and we took in a show at the Mayfair Theatre in Southampton the evening before our cruise. 

Edited by karatemom2

15 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

We stayed at the Southampton Harbour Hotel before our September cruise. Lovely hotel and very close to port. We booked a transfer from Heathrow that included a stop at Stonehenge and we took in a show at the Mayfair Theatre in Southampton the evening before our cruise. 

Did you book your transfers independently or thru Princess?  My husband drives all the time at home but is worried about forgetting to drive on the left.  I told him I would be happy to drive but that really scared him😳

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, leck57 said:

Not much to keep you occupied for more than a day or so in Southampton in my opinion but would definitely recommend you catch the ferry over to the Isle of Wight and spend some a day there. Plenty to see over there and very easy to get to by frequent ferries. 

If your husband doesn't want to drive there are a few day tours from Southampton you can also book.

Actually hoping to convince my husband to drive, but if not I guess I will.  I have no intention of going far, just taking in some of the countryside and especially seeing minchinhampton where my parents were married.

We always stay at Premier Inn West Quay when in Southampton. It is a no frills but clean, comfortable and reasonably priced hotel that is across the road from West Quay Shopping Centre where there are lots of shops and restaurants and a short taxi ride to the cruise terminals. It is also walking distance to the train station where there are direct trains to Winchester and Portsmouth which are both great day trips to do. We hired a car from Europcar, which is also walking distance from the hotel, to go on a day trip to the New Forest and Dorset Coast which was wonderful. 

If you just want the basics there’s absolutely nothing wrong with the Southampton Central Travelodge. In the town and an easy stroll to the ‘front’ to see other cruise ships etc. arriving/leaving. Why waste your money on overpriced accommodation and food 🤷‍♂️

3 hours ago, devonuk said:

If you just want the basics there’s absolutely nothing wrong with the Southampton Central Travelodge. In the town and an easy stroll to the ‘front’ to see other cruise ships etc. arriving/leaving. Why waste your money on overpriced accommodation and food 🤷‍♂️

Agree, low budget but clean always good

Edited by barriedavis
Misunderstanding
  • Like 1

Another vote for the Moxy.  It's right across the road from the Carnival UK HQ so you can pop over and say "cheerio, old boy" to the staff.  Also, the Moxy is a Marriott affiliate, so you get (or can use) Bonvoy points.  

Also, look up Andrew Wheeler (wheeler-tours.co.uk) if you're interested in guided tours of Southampton and environs.  We did a "Titanic in Southampton" tour with him this summer and it was great.  We toured a great exhibition at the Seacity Museum and then walked around the town to various other Titanic themed places.  Andrew was a great guide and he also does ours to Winchester, the New Forest, and other places.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Toad said:

Did you book your transfers independently or thru Princess?  My husband drives all the time at home but is worried about forgetting to drive on the left.  I told him I would be happy to drive but that really scared him😳

We booked our transfers independently through EC Minibus this past summer with a stop at Stonehenge on our way to Southampton and at Hampton Court Palace on our departure day on the way back to Heathrow. Last summer we shared a transfer from London that stopped at Windsor Castle on the way through a company called International Friends. Both companies provided excellent service. 

I'll vote for Moxy as well.  As previously stated a great area and breakfast buffet, and exceptionally friendly staff.

My sister and brother-in-law picked met me at Heathrow since they had a car and had been driving around England for several weeks.  The ride to Southhampton was stressful even with the navigation system in the rental.  In addition to driving on the other side there are a lot of traffic circles and two lane roads.   I was able to enjoy the scenery but my brother-in-law had to really focus on his driving and my sister had to be vigilant in watching for signs, exits, etc... They both commented the next morning how it felt like a weight had been lifted  off their backs once they turned the car in .  My brother-in-law really likes to drive too.  

I really enjoyed Southhampton and the Titanic tour, as well as Stondehenge and Salisbury are easily accessed if you have a couple of days. 

• Like 1