London post cruise ABBA Voyage

erinsmom03

Our family is looking forward to our British Isles cruise in June. I am working on our post cruise stay in London. We plan to do traditional tourist activities in London, but also are trying to attend the ABBA Voyage one evening, at our college student’s request. I am trying to figure out the best location to stay in London. Getting to ABBA Arena, which seems to be about an hour away from where we were thinking of staying, seems a bit daunting of a task when we’ve never been to London before. Any tips on where to stay, how to get to the Arena? Should we consider staying close t.o the Arena the night of the show?

5 minutes ago, erinsmom03 said:

Getting to ABBA Arena, which seems to be about an hour away from where we were thinking of staying, seems a bit daunting of a task when we’ve never been to London before. Any tips on where to stay, how to get to the Arena? Should we consider staying close t.o the Arena the night of the show?

It's not difficult at all to get to the venue. It's right next door to Pudding Mill Lane DLR, and easily walkable from Stratford (or you can take the DLR one stop from Stratford to Pudding Mill Lane). This means that from many places in central London you can get to the Arena with one change of train, or at worst two. It's definitely not worth staying somewhere else just for this night.

Where are you thinking of staying?

BTW, if you haven't already bought tickets. seriously consider the standing tickets at the front, or a private dance booth (can't remember what they're officially called). You can't really dance if you're in the main seating area - security will tell you to stop.

6 hours ago, erinsmom03 said:

I have been looking at rentals in Covent Garden.

You would have lots of transport options from this area.

To get to Pudding Mill Lane DLR, you could:

• Take the Elizabeth Line (Abbey Wood branch) from Tottenham Court Road to Canary Wharf, then take a northbound DLR from West India Quay to Pudding Mill Lane (you'd need a Stratford train). The Canary Wharf EL --> West India Quay DLR interchange is official (so you would be charged a through fare for the journey, not two separate fares), and involves a walk of about 100 yards from the western end of Canary Wharf EL station.
  • Take the District Line from Embankment or Temple to Bow Road, then take a northbound DLR from Bow Church to Pudding Mill Lane. Bow Road --> Bow Church DLR is again an official interchange, but this walk is about 300 yards.
  • Or take the District or Circle Lines to Monument, change to the DLR there and take a Woolwich Arsenal train as far as Poplar, then change again to a Stratford-bound DLR to Pudding Mill Lane (a very easy cross-platform change).
  • If you get yourself to Waterloo or Green Park (see below), you could also take the Jubilee Line to Canary Wharf, then take a northbound DLR from Canary Wharf DLR to Pudding Mill Lane (again, you'd need a Stratford train). (You need Canary Wharf DLR; don't go to Heron Quays DLR because almost no trains go from there to Pudding Mill Lane.)

To get to Stratford:

• The most obvious routes are to walk up to Tottenham Court Road and take the Elizabeth Line (Shenfield branch) direct to Stratford, or to Holborn for the Central Line direct to Stratford.
  • If that's too far to walk, then you could get from Embankment, Charing Cross or Leicester Square to Tottenham Court Road by the Northern Line, or from Leicester Square or Covent Garden to Holborn by taking the Piccadilly Line.
  • Another option from Embankment or Temple is District Line eastbound to Mile End, and change there to the Central Line (another very easy cross-platform change).
  • Or you can go from Embankment, Charing Cross or Leicester Square to Waterloo on the Northern Line, and change there for the Jubilee Line direct to Stratford. Or from Leicester Square or Covent Garden to Green Park on the Piccadilly Line, and change there for the Jubilee Line. Or from Temple via District or Circle Lines to Westminster and change there for the Jubilee Line.

From Stratford to the ABBA Arena, it would be quite a nice walk during daylight on a good weather day - perhaps a 20-minute walk or a 30-minute stroll. I'd suggest going through the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park to do this. You could also take a southbound DLR bound for Canary Wharf (I think these go from platform 4) - it's one stop to Pudding Mill Lane. After the concert, or if it's already dark when you head for the concert, I think I'd recommend taking the DLR between Stratford and Pudding Mill Lane; it's a much less nice walk in the dark.

Daunting? Only because there's too much choice!

Don't forget to both touch in and touch out when using the DLR. It's the same as on the Tube, only at most stations there aren't any gates to remind you to do it.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

You would have lots of transport options from this area.

• Take the Elizabeth Line (Abbey Wood branch) from Tottenham Court Road to Canary Wharf, then take a northbound DLR from West India Quay to Pudding Mill Lane (you'd need a Stratford train). The Canary Wharf EL --> West India Quay DLR interchange is official (so you would be charged a through fare for the journey, not two separate fares), and involves a walk of about 100 yards from the western end of Canary Wharf EL station.
  • Take the District Line from Embankment or Temple to Bow Road, then take a northbound DLR from Bow Church to Pudding Mill Lane. Bow Road --> Bow Church DLR is again an official interchange, but this walk is about 300 yards.
  • Or take the District or Circle Lines to Monument, change to the DLR there and take a Woolwich Arsenal train as far as Poplar, then change again to a Stratford-bound DLR to Pudding Mill Lane (a very easy cross-platform change).
  • If you get yourself to Waterloo or Green Park (see below), you could also take the Jubilee Line to Canary Wharf, then take a northbound DLR from Canary Wharf DLR to Pudding Mill Lane (again, you'd need a Stratford train). (You need Canary Wharf DLR; don't go to Heron Quays DLR because almost no trains go from there to Pudding Mill Lane.)

To get to Stratford:

• The most obvious routes are to walk up to Tottenham Court Road and take the Elizabeth Line (Shenfield branch) direct to Stratford, or to Holborn for the Central Line direct to Stratford.
  • If that's too far to walk, then you could get from Embankment, Charing Cross or Leicester Square to Tottenham Court Road by the Northern Line, or from Leicester Square or Covent Garden to Holborn by taking the Piccadilly Line.
  • Another option from Embankment or Temple is District Line eastbound to Mile End, and change there to the Central Line (another very easy cross-platform change).
  • Or you can go from Embankment, Charing Cross or Leicester Square to Waterloo on the Northern Line, and change there for the Jubilee Line direct to Stratford. Or from Leicester Square or Covent Garden to Green Park on the Piccadilly Line, and change there for the Jubilee Line. Or from Temple via District or Circle Lines to Westminster and change there for the Jubilee Line.

From Stratford to the ABBA Arena, it would be quite a nice walk during daylight on a good weather day - perhaps a 20-minute walk or a 30-minute stroll. I'd suggest going through the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park to do this. You could also take a southbound DLR bound for Canary Wharf (I think these go from platform 4) - it's one stop to Pudding Mill Lane. After the concert, or if it's already dark when you head for the concert, I think I'd recommend taking the DLR between Stratford and Pudding Mill Lane; it's a much less nice walk in the dark.

Daunting? Only because there's too much choice!

Don't forget to both touch in and touch out when using the DLR. It's the same as on the Tube, only at most stations there aren't any gates to remind you to do it.

Thank you! Yes, it’s a little daunting. I will have to study the London tube and DLR resources to learn as much as I can before we go!

10 hours ago, erinsmom03 said:

Yes, it’s a little daunting. I will have to study the London tube and DLR resources to learn as much as I can before we go!

I really wouldn't worry about it. Using the system is pretty intuitive. The main decision you need to make is choosing a route. Once you have a specific place to start from or end at, you can pick from all the theoretical options.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Globaliser said:

I really wouldn't worry about it. Using the system is pretty intuitive. The main decision you need to make is choosing a route. Once you have a specific place to start from or end at, you can pick from all the theoretical options.

Thank you for your help and encouragement!

19 hours ago, lovetocruise1953 said:

There are lots of scam Airbnb in London apparently, be careful.

Thank you for the advice. I’m actually looking at some hotels now. Seems there are a few more options for our family in London hotels than I found in Amsterdam.

13 minutes ago, erinsmom03 said:

Thank you for the advice. I’m actually looking at some hotels now. Seems there are a few more options for our family in London hotels than I found in Amsterdam.

If you can find hotels on a bus route or near a tube it will be cheaper than getting taxis, not sure where ABBA Voyage is but maybe work from that.

• Thanks 1

On 11/12/2023 at 11:12 AM, erinsmom03 said:

Our family is looking forward to our British Isles cruise in June. I am working on our post cruise stay in London. We plan to do traditional tourist activities in London, but also are trying to attend the ABBA Voyage one evening, at our college student’s request. I am trying to figure out the best location to stay in London. Getting to ABBA Arena, which seems to be about an hour away from where we were thinking of staying, seems a bit daunting of a task when we’ve never been to London before. Any tips on where to stay, how to get to the Arena? Should we consider staying close t.o the Arena the night of the show?

Thank  you for your post! As a long time ABBA fan I did not even think about attending this until I read your post! I now have tickets! YAY!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruiszBug said:

Thank  you for your post! As a long time ABBA fan I did not even think about attending this until I read your post! I now have tickets! YAY!

You’re welcome! I love ABBA too, but had no idea this show existed until my 20 year old said she really wanted to see it! We have our tickets too!

• Like 1

I went last Thursday. We were actually over in Battersea at the new power station development which is well worth seeing, and it was very quick and easy to get to Stratford ( change at Waterloo for jubilee line to Stratford) then swap over to DLR for one stop back to Pudding Mill.

Remember to tap in and out with your credit card at the start and end of each complete journey.

And remember they aren’t really there…!!

We sat and I think you get a better view of the lighting effects ets from the seats 

IMG_2232.jpeg

Edited by little britain

9 hours ago, little britain said:

I went last Thursday. We were actually over in Battersea at the new power station development which is well worth seeing, and it was very quick and easy to get to Stratford ( change at Waterloo for jubilee line to Stratford) then swap over to DLR for one stop back to Pudding Mill.

Remember to tap in and out with your credit card at the start and end of each complete journey.

And remember they aren’t really there…!!

We sat and I think you get a better view of the lighting effects ets from the seats 

IMG_2232.jpeg

Did you enjoy the show? Seems to be an AI experience, correct? I figured we would go since our daughter really seemed excited about it. We all love ABBA and enjoyed Mama Mia. I think hubby and I saw the show in Detroit before our daughter was even born lol.

Thanks for the travel tips! 

1 hour ago, erinsmom03 said:

Did you enjoy the show? Seems to be an AI experience, correct? I figured we would go since our daughter really seemed excited about it. We all love ABBA and enjoyed Mama Mia. I think hubby and I saw the show in Detroit before our daughter was even born lol.

Thanks for the travel tips! 

It is surreal. You won’t believe your eyes… ! 

• Like 1

It's a great show. I have been three times already, going again in February.

Although the prices can seem expensive, if you book in advance (and not on weekends) there are great prices to be got. The most I ever paid for a ticket was 45 sterling and the cheapest 21.50. It is designed that there are no 'bad' seats in the place, so don't worry about being on the edges. Be aware that too close to the screen dulls the illusion of them being real as you notice it is a screen more.

6 hours ago, newgrange said:

It's a great show. I have been three times already, going again in February.

Although the prices can seem expensive, if you book in advance (and not on weekends) there are great prices to be got. The most I ever paid for a ticket was 45 sterling and the cheapest 21.50. It is designed that there are no 'bad' seats in the place, so don't worry about being on the edges. Be aware that too close to the screen dulls the illusion of them being real as you notice it is a screen more.

Thanks for the tips! I bought tickets so I can give my daughter hers (I ordered the souvenir ticket and gift box for her) for Christmas. I got section G Row A. I hope that’s not too close! 

By close, I meant right up the front of the dance floor. It's a bit like front row of the cinema - too close.

Section G Row A are lovely seats AND if one of Abba is in attendance, you will have a good view of where they wave at the crowd.

You will love it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/27/2023 at 5:20 PM, newgrange said:

By close, I meant right up the front of the dance floor. It's a bit like front row of the cinema - too close.

Section G Row A are lovely seats AND if one of Abba is in attendance, you will have a good view of where they wave at the crowd.

You will love it.

Thank you! I am so excited to give our daughter her souvenir ticket box for Christmas! I think it will be her favorite gift!

On 11/12/2023 at 11:48 PM, Globaliser said:

From the place that you've now picked to stay at, this is the route that I would use to go straight to the ABBA Arena. Your best bet is to walk down to Embankment Tube and go to the eastbound District Line platform.

There's a "secret" fast way of doing the change at Monument. Get on the District (or Circle) Line train at the very back. When you get off at Monument, there are stairs at that end of the platform signposted for the Northern Line. Go down those, and then down the escalator to Northern Line platform level. Immediately after you get there, there's another set of stairs down signposted for the DLR - take them to DLR platform level. The official signposted route from the District Line to the DLR involves a rather longer walk.

The alternative route from Embankment involving only one change to the DLR at Bow Road / Bow Church is still feasible. Personally, I just prefer not to do that walk at the interchange point.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Globaliser said:

From the place that you've now picked to stay at, this is the route that I would use to go straight to the ABBA Arena. Your best bet is to walk down to Embankment Tube and go to the eastbound District Line platform.

There's a "secret" fast way of doing the change at Monument. Get on the District (or Circle) Line train at the very back. When you get off at Monument, there are stairs at that end of the platform signposted for the Northern Line. Go down those, and then down the escalator to Northern Line platform level. Immediately after you get there, there's another set of stairs down signposted for the DLR - take them to DLR platform level. The official signposted route from the District Line to the DLR involves a rather longer walk.

The alternative route from Embankment involving only one change to the DLR at Bow Road / Bow Church is still feasible. Personally, I just prefer not to do that walk at the interchange point.

Thank you so much!! I really appreciate your tips!