Voom streaming internet: In your stateroom-Will a Travel Router on a Symphony of the seas cruise have connectivity?

46 minutes ago, Pinballs83 said:

Here is what I am doing currently on Symphony...

I bought 2 device package.  I have my Windows 11 laptop set to mobile hotspot.  I have my amazon fire stick plugged into the HDMI port of the tv and the USB port on the TV for power.  There is a button under the TV that you can use to pick the source as HDMI.  I am watching TV streaming service and youtube just fine.  Speed test shows 10/3 which is enough to stream with.  I am on day four and they haven't disconnected me once for using mobile hotspot.  The stateroom TV has very limited channel selection and the picture quality is bad.  My firestick gives me more options at night to watch some TV while I midnight snack in bed.

Without a travel router or a mobile hotspot there is no way to get some devices online like a nintendo as you can't get to the web login page.

A windows 11 mobile hotspot is easy.  Just type mobile hotspot in the search bar and it will come up.  Good tip is to set the mobile hotspot name and password to be the same as your home network.  That way my devices just automatically work.  I've got a tablet, nintendo, firestick, and my laptop all sharing a single "device" in the stateroom.  

Then I use the 2nd device for my phone that way I don't have to switch it back and forth, but that is is an option.

Untitled.png

Good work Pinballs!!! 👍😉👍

1 hour ago, Happytime22 said:

Based on the info above about the AC750...is there a better travel modem to use that does NOT slow it down?

Just another data point for you to consider... I just used AC750 on MSC Meraviglia...  And Mera has a crappy WiFi speeds at 3D/1U on their 2.4GHz band... and the AC750 didn't impact those speeds at all.   I still got 3D and 1U off of my AC750.   MSC calls it their "Browse and Stream" WiFi package at $160 per person per day and NO DEVICE switching!!!   I would actually call it their "Browse and SCREAM" package.... because it is soooooooooooooooo slooooooooooooooooow even without my AC750...  😭 

1 hour ago, Pinballs83 said:

I have my amazon fire stick plugged into the HDMI port of the tv and the USB port on the TV for power.

Can you show me the HDMI  port setup on the back of the TV?  I want to do this on our Symph sailing using my Roku... Thanks!👍

3 minutes ago, buffet24 said:

Can you show me the HDMI  port setup on the back of the TV?  I want to do this on our Symph sailing using my Roku... Thanks!👍

There is a button under the TV that brings up a menu with the source option. It's not on the remote. Every time you turn off the TV you will have to select the source again with the button on the tv. Short press scrolls, long press is enter. 

The TV slides out so it's easy to access on this ship.  Same thing on oasis.

20231115_145317.thumb.jpg.a4bcb09d20861ccb994bb1556e215187.jpg

17 minutes ago, Pinballs83 said:

There is a button under the TV that brings up a menu with the source option. It's not on the remote. Every time you turn off the TV you will have to select the source again with the button on the tv. Short press scrolls, long press is enter. 

🤩🤩🤩 My Roku thanks you Pinballs!!!

32 minutes ago, Pinballs83 said:

20231115_145317.thumb.jpg.a4bcb09d20861ccb994bb1556e215187.jpg

Going on odyssey in 3 weeks would it be similar setup? For win 11 device would a surface pro fit that profile or do you take an actual laptop?

You need a wifi chipset and software to support it.  If the surface pro is running windows 11 it should be built into windows, but I dont know about the wifi chipset in that device. Just type mobile hotspot in the windows search bar.  If it comes up and lets you enable it, it should be available for you.  I have a relatively low end laptop made by HP about a year or two ago and it has the mobile hotspot capability

Some of the new cell phones support mobile hotspot via wifi was well.  It looks my S10+ can do it too.

I've only been on Oasis and Symphony but both of those ships had an identical TV setup. I don't know about other ships.

If you have an Android phone, specifically Samsung Galaxy models, you can WiFi hotspot your WiFi connection. Apparently this is not an option for iPhones. and I can't speak for other android phones.

Might be a good idea to set up your WiFi hotspot ahead of time. You can't have Airplane mode on, so turn that off. To make sure you don't cellular roam the hotspot, I turn off Mobile Data. Then connect other devices to your phone's hotspot.

I've done this on a number of cruises and other trips now, including using my Firestick. 

We travel with a universal remote, so we can program it to whatever TV the cruise ship or hotel has (Mostly Samsung and LG) so that we can change the input source. Not all TVs have a button.

On newer ships (like Odyssey and newer), you may have to unplug the TV from the wired network, and then reboot it (unplug it and back in). This will prevent the custom home screen launcher app from running which can block you from selecting an input even with a universal remote.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

If you have an Android phone, specifically Samsung Galaxy models, you can WiFi hotspot your WiFi connection. Apparently this is not an option for iPhones. and I can't speak for other android phones.

Might be a good idea to set up your WiFi hotspot ahead of time. You can't have Airplane mode on, so turn that off. To make sure you don't cellular roam the hotspot, I turn off Mobile Data. Then connect other devices to your phone's hotspot.

I've done this on a number of cruises and other trips now, including using my Firestick. 

We travel with a universal remote, so we can program it to whatever TV the cruise ship or hotel has (Mostly Samsung and LG) so that we can change the input source. Not all TVs have a button.

On newer ships (like Odyssey and newer), you may have to unplug the TV from the wired network, and then reboot it (unplug it and back in). This will prevent the custom home screen launcher app from running which can block you from selecting an input even with a universal remote.

Which remote do you take?

11 hours ago, RobInMN said:

Amazing... these are some pro-quality tips!!!  Love this!!! 👍😉👍

21 hours ago, steveru621 said:

HD streaming requires a minimum of 6 Mps.

But, with most folks on a cruise watching it on a mobile device, you can get pretty good video at about 1-2Mbps. That's why the usual 4Mbps throttling of Voom is fine most use cases.

51 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

But, with most folks on a cruise watching it on a mobile device, you can get pretty good video at about 1-2Mbps. That's why the usual 4Mbps throttling of Voom is fine most use cases.

Exactly, but it's not likely to be in HD without a lot of buffering.  It's something most passengers won't even notice on their phones, but may on a laptop.

It's all good.

14 hours ago, RobInMN said:

Ouch! You are setting people up for one hell of a cellphone bill.  Please tell me how that works?

Hotspots don't work without cell service. Hotspots need cellular service to create a Wi-Fi signal. So you'll need a data plan from your cell phone company or another provider to make your own hotspot work. And you'll also need adequate cell service.Jun 27, 2023.

17 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

Ouch! You are setting people up for one hell of a cellphone bill.  Please tell me how that works?

Hotspots don't work without cell service. Hotspots need cellular service to create a Wi-Fi signal. So you'll need a data plan from your cell phone company or another provider to make your own hotspot work. And you'll also need adequate cell service.Jun 27, 2023.

This is incorrect, wifi Hotspot without cellular service exists now. I'm doing wifi to wifi Hotspot on Symphony all week. My win 11 laptop and s10+ supports wifi to wifi Hotspot. 

My firestick does YouTube tv just fine. The picture quality is better than the cruise feeds. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

Hotspots don't work without cell service. Hotspots need cellular service to create a Wi-Fi signal.

That's only for the sh1++y iPhones... but for some newer Androids... Hotspotting off of another WiFi (without cell) works perfectly fine that way...

1 hour ago, Pinballs83 said:

This is incorrect, wifi Hotspot without cellular service exists now. I'm doing wifi to wifi Hotspot on Symphony all week. My win 11 laptop and s10+ supports wifi to wifi Hotspot. 

My firestick does YouTube tv just fine. The picture quality is better than the cruise feeds. 

Then WHY do you have to turn off Airplane Mode? "You can't have Airplane mode on, so turn that off."  Turning off Airplane mode is dangerous.

I use it all the time on a laptop, a WIN 11 Laptop does not use Cell Service,  EVER.  Your S10+ doesn't support Wifi to Wifi. My S21 Ultra does not support Wifi to Wifi.  Tethering!

EDIT: Brain cramp. You are correct!  I forgot about tethering on Samsung.

Still, telling people to turn off Airplane Mode is dangerous.

Edited by steveru621

1 hour ago, steveru621 said:

19 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

It absolutely works. I'm on the symphony ship right now doing it all week. My s10+ mobile Hotspot doesn't work in airplane mode, but my win 11 laptop can. As long as you turn off mobile data it's not going to get roaming fees. 

Edited by Pinballs83

24 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

Then WHY do you have to turn off Airplane Mode? "You can't have Airplane mode on, so turn that off."  Turning off Airplane mode is dangerous.

I use it all the time on a laptop, a WIN 11 Laptop does not use Cell Service,  EVER.  Your S10+ doesn't support Wifi to Wifi. My S21 Ultra does not support Wifi to Wifi.  Tethering!

EDIT: Brain cramp. You are correct!  I forgot about tethering on Samsung.

Still, telling people to turn off Airplane Mode is dangerous.

Only because the OS won't let you enable the HotSpot when airplane mode is turned on.

By turning off Mobile Data, it can't use your cellular data connection for the hotspot, and it will force it to use the WiFi. It might use the WiFi anyway, but I'm not risking it. 🙂

BTW, they aren't calling it tethering. I believe there is tethering, but that is something different. This is actually hotspotting your WiFi connection.

1 minute ago, Pinballs83 said:

It absolutely works. I'm on the symphony ship right now doing it all week. My s10+ mobile Hotspot doesn't work in airplane mode, but my win 11 laptop can. As long as you turn off mobile data it's not going to get roaming fees. 

So what happens when you get a cell phone call or text?  That's chargeable cell service.

I agree with you.  I use my Win 11 laptop all the time.  On a laptop Airplane Mode means no WiFi.  We are saying the same thing. but with subtleties, many won't understand.

Just a caution, too many people will try this on a cell phone, and won't read your entire post about turning things off on your cell phone.  You are technical, but most aren't, when you say just turn off data that's great, but you can still get a call or text.  It's much better to just turn off roaming on your cell phone.

5 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

Only because the OS won't let you enable the HotSpot when airplane mode is turned on.

By turning off Mobile Data, it can't use your cellular data connection for the hotspot, and it will force it to use the WiFi. It might use the WiFi anyway, but I'm not risking it. 🙂

BTW, they aren't calling it tethering. I believe there is tethering, but that is something different. This is actually hotspotting your WiFi connection.

I'm not convinced.  Look up Tethering on your Samsung, it's the same settings.

14 minutes ago, Pinballs83 said:

Looks like Google pixels can do wifi to wifi mobile Hotspot too as I see someone's network coming up. 

Yes, you can, but I'm not sure it's Wifi to Wifi.  I see others' cell WiFi networks all the time.  With unlimited Cell data, people are using their Mobiles for home WiFi.  That's why networks are restricting cell service hot spots.

I think you are just being stubborn at this point. 😉 I am literally on the ship doing it on wifi to wifi hotspot ... and trying to argue about it doesn't exist.  Oh well, this is pointless.  Time for trivia.

Google "what is the difference between tetherhing and mobile hotspot".  Basically mobile hotspot is like a wireless access point.

"

In hotspot, your mobile phone acts just like your WiFi router and people can connect to it and access internet using your mobile or wifi data.

In tethering, a phone's data is shared to other devices but through different means like bluetooth or a USB wire. If it's Bluetooth, then it's called Bluetooth tethering. If it's USB, it's called USB Tethering. They fall under Tethering, which is a general term.

They both are really similar but a few notable differences are that, tethering is more secure as compared to hotspot and it can be used for different things as well like sharing files between devices. You must have heard of Shareit, which is a popular file sharing app for smartphones in which two devices are connected and then the file is shared from one device to another. In this process, the sender device's location, Bluetooth and mobile data has to be turned on. This is a form of tethering."

Edited by Pinballs83
  • Haha 1