Panama Canal cruise questions

SOPOME

Has anyone been on this cruise in the last couple of years with a mobility scooter, and/or a transport chair (foldable wheelchair)?

I'm wondering if you went ashore in all the ports and found it manageable?

Our ports include, Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Quetzal, San Jose, Colon, Cartagena

We most likely will try things on our own, vs a ship excursion, but would love to hear from you if you have done either one.

Thank you!

Cabo is a tender port so you would have to be able to manage the steps into and out of the tender.  Puerto Quetzal has a lovely straw market at the port, otherwise it is a long bus ride to Antigua which is all cobblestones and narrow sidewalks without curb cuts.  Colon is too dangerous to DIY unless you are a large group.  San Jose?  What San Jose?  Cartagena might be doable on a private tour.  EM

7 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Cabo is a tender port so you would have to be able to manage the steps into and out of the tender.  Puerto Quetzal has a lovely straw market at the port, otherwise it is a long bus ride to Antigua which is all cobblestones and narrow sidewalks without curb cuts.  Colon is too dangerous to DIY unless you are a large group.  San Jose?  What San Jose?  Cartagena might be doable on a private tour.  EM

A tender in Cabo will be ok; just wondered about streets/sidewalks with a foldable wheelchair.

The straw market in Puerto Quetzal sounds nice; we will plan on that!

San Jose, Costa Rica

That's a good idea for Cartagena.  I'll look into that.

Thank you for your insights!

San Jose is not a port…you would have to be bused there, I assume from Puntarenas or Puerto Caldera.   It’s been 22 years since I was there, so I can’t say what it is like.  Cartagena is covered on the South America ports of call board.  You might get some ideas about tours there.  EM

On 11/13/2023 at 6:50 PM, Essiesmom said:

San Jose is not a port…you would have to be bused there, I assume from Puntarenas or Puerto Caldera.   It’s been 22 years since I was there, so I can’t say what it is like.  Cartagena is covered on the South America ports of call board.  You might get some ideas about tours there.  EM

You're right!  It's Puntarenas.  

• 1 month later...

Would love to hear your outcomes! Sounds like I’m on similar itinerary in April and trying to evaluate if renting a scooter would be usable at the ports.. or not. Worried about lengthy walks. Have picked up some light stools as back up plan.