The problem with Starlink….

Wonky

8 hours ago, NE John said:

Commuter trains when people are taking highly detailed business deals and that info should really be kept in the boardroom. Dumb and rude.   

Back before I retired (wow - I love writing that), I was on a train with a lawyer having a very loud phone conversation with one of his clients. Another passenger finally got up, took the phone from the lawyer, and said to the client, "Congratulations - you and your lawyer have completely destroyed any expectation of privacy you might have had in this conversation. I'm with [number of] people who have just heard all of the details of your planned deal, and you'd better hope no one who knows the other party has just overheard this." We didn't hear another word from that lawyer for the remainder of the trip.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, nybumpkin said:

Back before I retired (wow - I love writing that), I was on a train with a lawyer having a very loud phone conversation with one of his clients. Another passenger finally got up, took the phone from the lawyer, and said to the client, "Congratulations - you and your lawyer have completely destroyed any expectation of privacy you might have had in this conversation. I'm with [number of] people who have just heard all of the details of your planned deal, and you'd better hope no one who knows the other party has just overheard this." We didn't hear another word from that lawyer for the remainder of the trip.

I am not sure whether that is better or worse than the half hour conversation a whole coach heard, where a man described in detail breaking up with his girlfriend, which seemed to involve fairly public sex with a third party (him) and a television hurled through the window (her). At least you don’t get that on Cunard.

5 hours ago, exlondoner said:

I am not sure whether that is better or worse than the half hour conversation a whole coach heard, where a man described in detail breaking up with his girlfriend, which seemed to involve fairly public sex with a third party (him) and a television hurled through the window (her). At least you don’t get that on Cunard.

That could almost be taken as a challenge for someone to sit in The Chart Room or Commodore Club with a phone to their ear and fabricate a similar conversation just to shock those around them. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

@3rdGenCunarder I didn't think fast enough to say anything at all but that would have thrown her for a loop, I bet.  Killing them with kindness...  Someone mentioned Hyacinth Bucket in a recent CC post and although I've seen that episode several times, I'd forgotten about it.  These two women were like Daisy and Onslow (maybe that's too much credit...)

On 12/1/2023 at 8:26 AM, NE John said:

There are enough Hyacinth Buckets around that feel the need to share their time onboard with everyone in their orbit, all to the detriment of us just wanting to chill out in a public venue. Those Hyacinth’s can’t do that from their cabin. 

I met Hyacinth.  She frequently sails Cunard.  Oh and BTW, that is "Bouquet" to you!

On 12/2/2023 at 2:10 AM, exlondoner said:

Or the time I was on a train headed to the airport and a young woman engaged in a loud and long cell phone conversation with her gynecologist about the social disease that she had unfortunately caught.  Most of her fellow passengers heard the details.  Definitely TMI.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, tv24 said:

I met Hyacinth.  She frequently sails Cunard.  Oh and BTW, that is "Bouquet" to you!

I met Daisy once on the QE2 and she looked glorious and WOW on Gala Night.

She gave a beautiful talk after watching one episode of the show on the movie screen in the theater.

• Like 3